Classic Austin Mini Cooper Vtec Morris Honda British
Price: - Item location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mini
- Model: Classic Mini
- SubModel: custom
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: Cooper S
- Year: 1978
- Mileage: 48,000
- Color: Black
- Engine size: 1.6
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Power options: Air Conditioning
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: FWD
- Interior color: Black
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: CD Player, Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1978 Mini Classic Mini Cooper SThe Grand Touring Vtec Mini
I have owned this car for 12 years now (with a clean missouri title) and was told that I was the second owner. The car was purchased with 21,000 miles (yes that is correct). I drove it for 13k and decided to do a sohc Vtec swap. I have around 14k since the vtec conversion, and it has been the most fun/reliable Mini that I have owned in 18 years. It cruises at 70mph at around 3250rpm and does it with zero issues. I try to drive this car as much as possible (weather permissible), but due to this it does have some minor blemishes. I have never driven it in snow, salted roads, or rain. It has had some body panels touched up before I bought it, but no issues have shown up from it. The panels themselves are hard to to distinguish. It definitely looks like a paint shop did the work. As for the rest of the body, the car is very solid and rust free.I love this car and have babied it, but time to move on to a new toy.
All of the following has occurred within the last 14,000 miles (first aftermarket speedometer died at 12,000 miles and current aftermarket speedometer reads at a little over 2500 miles). Please keep in mind that thousands of labor of love hours went into this and well over $8000 in parts alone.
This Vtec conversion is not a MINITEC kit. Due to several close friends' unfortunate experiences, I decided to go a different route.
Engine - Standard off the shelf parts exceptalternator bracket and a/c compressor bracket
- D16z6 SOHC vtec Engine block and head rebuild with all new honda seals (seals purchased from honda)
- Bored the engine 0.25 and purchased 4 new pistons and ring set from honda
- New water pump
- New Belts
- New Exedy clutch kit
- New Spal Electric fan
- New Fail safe thermostat
- New Cap, rotor, wires
- All new hoses
- All new custom 2” exhaust (off the shelf muffler, resonator, cat)
- New motor mounts
- Hondata ECU Tune
- Transmission teardown and inspection for synchro wear
- Changed final gear ratio from 4.25 (Civic Si) to 3.722 (civic hx). This made the first and second gear more useable for street use and reduced the screaming rpm at highway use (around 3250rpm at 70mph)
- New honda transmission fluid
- New brake master and slave
- Minitec chromoly axles with cv joints (the only item that I purchased from Minitec cause these are outsourced)
Brakes - All of the parts are standard off the shelf parts.
- Redline Racing Blue Dot 4 fluid
- Minisport 8.4” vented brake kit with billet calipers and slotted rotors
- Goodridge braided rear and front brake hoses
- New rear drum shoes and wheel cylinders
- New Goodridge braided lines from bias to master cylinder
Suspension: These parts are standard off the shelf mini parts.
- New Adjustable caster camber kit for the front
- Adjustable ride height trumpets front and rear
- Kyb shocks
- Front suspension poly bushings
- Sracer Rear bump stop kit
- (1 year old) Yokohama A539 Tires
HVac - Made a custom bracket for the evaporator and comprssor.
- Custom Vintage air install for heater and air condition
- Refurbished honda civic a/c compressor
- All new fittings to fit the heating and cooling setup
- Sound Deadened the floor and trunk
This #1 of the 3 major dents on the vehicle.
This #2 of the 3 major dents on the vehicle.
This #3 of the 3 major dents on the vehicle.
All other little dents are very difficult distinguish. Such as the one in the photo below. Here is a recent photo showing the air condition blowing 39 degrees out of the vent.
Original speedometer before I did the Honda swap. Car had a tad over 34,000 original miles!
Terms and Conditions
This auction can end without notice due to prior sale. I have tried to describe this car to the best of my ability. I am listing this auction as an individual and will do all that I can to make this transaction as smooth as possible. I will provide a clear Title & Bill of Sale. All information is correct to the best of my knowledge. Ask any questions BEFORE YOU BID. PLEASE HAVE ALL LOANS APPROVED (if necessary), before bidding on this car. A $250 non-refundable deposit required within 2 days of end of auction. This will be applied towards the total sale of the vehicle. If this payment has not been received within the 2 days, then the seller has full ability of relisting the vehicle. Full payment to be made within 7 business days of the ending auction date. Car will not be available until all funds have cleared the bank. If you cannot abide by these terms, or have negative feedback, please do not bid on this car. Car is sold "as-is", with no warranty or guarantee! I urge all serious bidders to contact me to discuss any concerns you may have about buying this car. I would be happy to talk to anyone so that they may be more comfortable bidding in this auction. I will not disclose my reserve price.