1939 MG T-Series
1939 MGTB Cabriolet“Abbie”(pre war)
1939 MGTB Cabriole "Abbie"(pre war)
I have an antiquity company in the middle of Texas. We specialize in fine antiques and collectibles. Once in a while my customers turn in a classic automobile or motorcycle.
This is one of those items:
This is one of the last surviving MGTBs. The particular wood-framed (Norwegian Ash) model is very rare. Few of these cars remain in the world. I have personally never seen any TB for sale – ever.
We received this beautiful TB from the estate of a Major General whom adored it for many decades. He brought the car from England over 50 years ago and he enjoyed taking it to car shows, allies, nd just driving it. He won many awards and trophies based on the car’s originality and perfection. Mechanically the car is in perfect original condition. The paint has aged over time but it has a gorgeous patina. The spoke wheels, lass, nd interior are also in perfect shape.
In May, 975, he owner raced the car on the famous Silverstone Raceway in England. Abbie was once driven by the famous British MG race driver, aptain George Eyston, ith Cecil Cousins of MG fame accompanying him.
In 1975 the owner and the car were invited to the MG Factory in England. The car was photographed with the top brass of the MG Factory. Please see pictures for photos showing the TB in front of the MG factory and the pictures of inside the MG Factory assembly line in 1975. The car has won many trophies
The car comes with a clear Texas title and has 15,976 original miles, e are willing to deliver it to a short distance for a reasonable fee within Texas.
Due to the owner’s enthusiasm, assion, nd dedication to the car, e collected a huge amount of new and used parts. He collected these parts by taking several trips to Europe; he never planned on parting with his beloved car. All the parts and books go with the car. Our estimate of the value of the parts alone is well over $10k. A list of those parts is enclosed at the bottom of this posting.
1939 MG TB Roadster “Abbie”
Owner was from San Antonio, exas. Member – British MG Car Club, ritish Octagon Car Club, ew England MG “T” Register, -ABC’s Forever, intage MG Club of S. California.
THE CAR: Only 319 two-seat roadsters of this type were manufactured in England between May and September, 939. When Germany invaded Poland in September, ngland ceased production to support the war effort. After WWII, roduction resumed with the MG TC. The particular wood-framed (Norwegian Ash) model is very rare. Few of these cars remain in the world.
ENGINE: Four-cylinder, 250 cc XPAG producing 54 bhp at 5200 rpm. First applied to the MG TB, his sturdy engine went on to power the post-war TC, D and TF. Redlined at 6000 rpm, he speed around 3650 rpm is 70 mph.
HISTORY: The owner purchased the car in England in 1971 and that same year he began a four-and-a-half year restoration. It was completely disassembled and rebuilt to like new, etaining the original instruments, ools, ccessories and hardware. In May, 975, he owner raced the car on the famous Silverstone Raceway in England. Everything is original or as original, xcept for added safety lighting in the rear, eat belts, urn signals and a Thompkins steering kit. The car was shipped from England to San Antonio, exas in 1975. In 1979, he car went into permanent storage for 17 years while the owner was out of the country. On March 16, 996, he car was removed from storage and prepped for the road once again. This car is not “mothballed” for shows. It’s driven regularly! Abbie was once driven by the famous British MG race driver, aptain George Eyston, ith Cecil Cousins of MG fame accompanying him.
STATS: 53 car off the line. Car No. 0304. Engine No: 833. Engine Head dated May 4, 939. Wt: 1550 lb. Batteries: two six-volt (positive ground) in series for 12 volts over rear axle. Original UK registration: FAR245. The “AA” and “RAC” badges on the badge bar are rare originals, s are the radiator mascot (running fox) and the double tire rack o the rear. Owner has the original Operating Manual and Sales Brochure.
This is a list of some of the historic documentation and books that go with the car:
The original 1939 Sale Brochure
Original 1939 Instruction Manual for TB (Published August 1939)
The Classic MG book
All the receipts since day one (12 folders)
The MG Workshop Manual for all models
The Workshop Manual for Mg TB –TD (1936-1955)
The original Service Part List
Vintage & Veteran Motor Accessory Catalog
All the letters & corresponding letters to U.K (The MG car club LTD.)
Parts-data tech Texas MG registry (7 volumes)
The MG sports car book: Maintaining the Breed
The MG T Restoration Guide Book
The story of the MG sports cars
SU Carburetor Manual
Alamo MG Association
North American MG club
The MG factory invitation /visit by top brass in MG showing the TB in front of the factory and pictures of inside of the factory assemblies in 1975
1939 MGTB Inventory List of extra parts
3. 28 Chrome Pieces miscellaneous
4. 4 Pistons
5. 1 Box of light bulbs
6. 1 Box of gaskets
7. New rubber and body molding
10. 2 Drum brakes, engine side cover, head light, fog light, amp; 1 horn
11. 2 LED conversion kits.
12. 5 Suspension lifts, wire wheels, exhaust manifold.
13. 4 Black side windows, side window frames, new canvas covers for windows,
1 original steering wheel, set of 1939 British license plates, amp; 1 copper wheel hammer.
14. 2 Brake master cylinders, water pumps, manifold, set of engine valves, heater, amp; some miscellaneous engine parts.
15. Set of body molding, windshield arm handle, engine dipstick, ome brake parts, new engine head, gas cover, radiator cover, amp; 2 filters pumps.
16. 1 Original exhaust pipe
17. 2 Head light shields, side mirror, electronic boxes, everal new car tubes, original aluminum side mirror, original MG engine cover, aluminum racing carburetor breather.
18. 1 Antique 1939 leather hat, antique goggles, MG emblem, octagon MG emblem, MG classic emblem, econd license plate, “Good Luck Penny” story plaque.
19. 1 Box of electrical for MG maintenance and tune up
20. 1 Box MG wheel hubs, MG rubber carpet mat
21. 1 Box original nuts and bolts, iming belt, nd chain wheel.
22. 4 Knockoff hubs, everal new wheel inner tubes, new speedometer cable, new Boyce motor meter.
23. 1 Box Lucas electronic parts, timing belt, universal joints, nd 1 belt.
24. 1 Full box of brake and rubber parts.
25. 9 New oil filters, ome black body trimming, ire wheel spooks, new fan blade, Racing aluminum carburetor parts, nd 1 new door handle.
26. 1 Box wire wheel, earing and seals
27. Dry shaft
28. 1 Small cabinet of bolts, uts, ight bulbs fuses for MG.
29. 1 Small carburetor gaskets, lectronic lenses and miscellaneous for MG.
All the inspections must be done before the auction closes.
Remember that this classic car is 76 years old. Please remember that things always look better in pictures. So you are more than welcome to come see it in person.
Your bid is your contract. Please place bids only if you are serious about buying the item. If you are the winning bid, ou are entering into a legal binding contract to purchase the item.
We require a $500 non-refundable deposit immediately after the bidding closes and the remaining balance within a week. Shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. The car will be sold as is, ith no warranty or guarantee.
We reserve the right to cancel any bid for excessive negative feedback. And I may also advertise it locally.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN
BUILDING A BETTER EXPERIENCE
ONE CUSTOMER/FRIEND AT A TIME