1952 "TD" LIFETIME CA. CAR - "NUT & BOLT" RESTORED TO A HIGH LEVEL <486 MILES!
Price: - Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Make: MG
- Model: T-Series
- SubModel: CA. FRAME OFF RESTORATION <486 MILES
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: CA. FRAME OFF RESTORATION <486 MILES
- Year: 1952
- Mileage: 486
- VIN: TD 15278
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 1250 cc
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: Convertible, Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1952 MG T-Series CA. FRAME OFF RESTORATION <486 MILES
1952 MG TD
486 MILES SINCE FRAME OFF, "NUT & BOLTâ€
RESTORED TO A VERY HIGH LEVEL!
Original California Car with Long Time Ownership &
Sympathetic Professional Restoration
Possibly the Nicest, Lowest Mileage Since Restoration TD in the Country?
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please read the OVERVIEW below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the MGTD and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Nowâ€ policy. Yes, the MGTD can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MGTD, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MGTD. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOPâ€ THE PHOTOS.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 930+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS - THIS PARTICULAR 1952 MGTD
In your search for an exceptional MGTD, you will undoubtedly come across a number of cars for sale. We ask that you keep in mind that there are significant differences between the quality of the cars but, perhaps most important, significant differences bewtween the MKI & MKII MGTD's. These differences have an effect on the value of the cars (lon & short term) in addition to having an affect on drivability, and appearance. This TD was restored under 500 miles ago to exacting standards and remains in show quality. The MKII features are in place and include:
- VERY rare and costly in today's marketplace, Borrani wire wheels (most cars available today are fitted with steel wheels)
- Front Andrex shock absorbers (rare on U.S. export cars)
- Larger 1.5" H4 SU carburetors
- "Bulge" on the right side of the hood (Bonnet) to accommodate the increased carburetor size
- An 8" clutch vs. 7.5" for the standard TD
Only 1,710 MK II's were produced between 1951-1953
During our 25 years of specializing in European sports cars, we are proud to acknowledge that we have had more MG cars than we can count. This "TDâ€ is unquestionably one of the best driving, well maintained and nicely restored examples that we have had the pleasure of representing.
This lifelong California MGTD enjoys a fascinating history including ownership by the current family since the early 1980's, close to 40 years. The car has always been in Northern California and was purchased from the cars previous owner who swore that he would never part with the "TD.â€ He was finally convinced to sell the car and it was acquired by the long time owner of Finley Datsun, Crescent City, CA. as his personal car. It was kept in their showroom and used sparingly for many years until the decision was made to bring the car into better than showroom condition.
Since the restoration, the car has traveled 486 miles! The owner reports that was viewed by the judges at the Silverado Concours d'Elegance, Napa, CA and rated as a 97~ point example.
- Restored by Metcraft Restoration to a Very High Standard
- Fitted with Rare Wire Wheels
- Immaculate / High Detailed Engine Compartment
- Photo Documented Restoration
- Includes All "Soft" Weather Gear
The restoration represents a â€½Cost no objectâ€ approach to a frame-off or "Nut & Boltâ€ restoration that is fresh in every respect.
The MGTD is 100% turn-key and needs absolutely nothing to be used as a regular British sports car ready to cruise and/or show. The owner reports that judges at Silverado Concours d' Elegance rated the car at 97 points with the only deduction being for the spectacular dashboard that was handmade by the owner, a master woodworker who taught shop at a local high school for many years. We should note that it is one of the nicest jobs we have seen over the past 25 years but could easily be covered by the original MG vinyl should the new owner desire 100% originality. Other than that and the sought after wire wheels that have been on the car for its entire life, the car appears to be totally correct and properly configured. It is our opinion that this MGTD undoubtedly represents one of the finest MGTD's in the country.
The identifying numbers appear on two brass plates on the driver's side firewall tool box. These show:
TD / C /15278 XPAG / TD2 / 15524
XPAG / TD2 / "XPAG" denotes the 1250 cc engine, TD2 indicates a later model and fitted with an 8 inch clutch
Body Type / Chassis: 22381
Body Number: 14635 / 84582
Car #: TD 15278
Engine #: 15524 (MATCHING NUMBERS TO VIN PLATE)
The brass plate on the firewall shows the # 15278 that matches the octagon plate # on the lower right side of the engine block.
â€¢ MG XPAG engine, 4 cylinder in-line, 1250 cc, 54.4 hp, 64 lb-ft torque
â€¢ Overhead valves, 2 per cylinder, push rod
â€¢ Naturally aspirated w/ dual SU H2 carburetors w/ dry element air filters
â€¢ Factory 4-speed syncro-mesh gearbox (2nd - 4th gears)
â€¢ Gas tank 15.1 gal.
â€¢ Frame Off / â€½Nut & Boltâ€ restoration of a solid, originally California MGTD
â€¢ Show quality paint in factory delivered paint color / highest quality 2-stage base coat/clear coat
â€¢ Extremely straight body lines & door fitment / closure - NO sagging or ill-fitting doors or hood panels NOTE: No marks on door openings from poor fitment and excellent hood fit / gaps PLEASE VIEW DETAILED PHOTOS
â€¢ Very tight, rattle free 'TDâ€
â€¢ All exterior chrome is exceptional and free from any pitting or damage
â€¢ Beautiful bumpers with factory correct over-riders
â€¢ New windscreen & rubber trim, chrome, and other exterior items
â€¢ Excellent, virtually new beige canvas tonneau cover with functional center zipper to allow for â€½splittingâ€ the driver's and passenger compartments or covering the entire car
â€¢ Like brand new (up for photos but never used), high quality canvas tan top with perfectly clear window and restored top bows
â€¢ Front & rear side curtains included (4) also fitted to chromed (originally painted frames & finished in matching light vinyl fabric with clear windows (refer to photographs)
â€¢ Both doors open and close and secure properly with solid hinges and no sagging
â€¢ Original black / yellow license plates included in sale (To California buyers only as they need to be turned in for out of state sales)
â€¢ Currently registered and just renewed until 10/2018 (CA buyers only)
â€¢ Beautifully restored front grill
â€¢ No radio or antenna (the way it should be for a vintage British sports car)
â€¢ Beautiful pleated beige leather seat upholstery
â€¢ Beautiful original totally restored steering wheel
â€¢ Beautiful original type vinyl covered dash & gauges
â€¢ All original gauges and all work except for small clock below tachometer
â€¢ Excellent tan door panels each w/ a storage pocket
â€¢ Glove box in dash
â€¢ Replaced black floor carpet w/ rubber mat on driver' s side
â€¢ Space for luggage behind the front seats with separate felt lined compartment for side screens / windows (included per above description)
â€¢ Factory correct center mounted rear view mirror
â€¢ Wipers work
â€¢ Functional hand brake
â€¢ Working (loud) horn)
â€¢Lights & electrical system is fully functional
This example is absolutely striking in red, with a classic tan leather interior, tan canvas top, side curtains, and tonneau cover. The restoration effort was done to a very high standard with considerable attention to detail that resulted in an absolutely beautiful MG.
The convertible top and color coordinated full canvas tonneau cover and top are in virtually new condition and the interior is exceptional. The engine bay is highly detailed and remains in stock configuration. The bright-work shows like a new "TDâ€, particularly both bumpers.
The underside is California clean and supports the high level of the restoration. The inner fender wells were painted body color, as is correct, and have virtually no scratches, rock chips or damage. The front and rear suspension are immaculate and the detailed photos reflect the commitment to excellence in the restoration. The entire wiring harness was changed and the engine compartment is absolutely immaculate.
Frankly, this "TDâ€ car runs and drives better than any early MG that we have owned. We attribute this to a totally rebuilt engine, transmission, and host of other drive-line components. It starts immediately when cold and equally as well once it is fully warmed up. The engine does not hesitate, has excellent power, and it runs smoothly as it is shifted up and down through the syncromesh gears of the totally rebuilt transmission.
There is no unusual noise in the drive-line including the rear end, engine, brakes, and other components.
The MGTD does not pull to the left or right, or exhibit any drivability issues. MG enthusiasts will notice that the instrumentation is MG is period correct. Due to a new wiring harness and a very particular owner, all of the lights and electrical system are fully functional. The speedometer works with none of the usual "wanderingâ€ and shows steady speeds. We often see non-working tachometers but this car is the exception and the tach indicates the correct RPM including a smooth idle at just below 1,000 rpm.
The MG runs at normal operating temperature with no indication of overheating. The other gauges are fully functional (speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, ammeter) as are the lights and horn. Engine oil pressure reads a very healthy 70~ lbs., well within the normal operating specifications and the MG runs cool even in warm Northern California temperatures partly as a result of the restored cooling system. The car is totally sorted, usable at highway speeds and, personally, we would not hesitate to take it on a long (and enjoyable) journey.
The MG is perhaps the most mechanically solid example that we can remember owning. It will certainly be well received at any car show, cruise, or British car event.
â€¢ Clear California title with current California registration thru October, 2018
â€¢ California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
â€¢ Passed California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, the lights, brakes, etc.
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1952 MGTD
â€¢ Length 145 inches
â€¢ Width 58.3 inches
â€¢ Height 56 inches
â€¢ Wheelbase 94 inches
â€¢ Weight 1931 lb.
â€¢ Drag coefficient (est.) 0.65
â€¢ Top speed 81 mph
HISTORY OF THE 1950-1953 MGTD
MG's TC roadster sold well initially and proved American demand for an English sports car, but the cars right-hand-drive configuration and 1930s specifications meant it was ripe for a redesign by 1950. In response, Syd Enever and Alec Hounslow took two weeks in 1949 to strip a four-seat Y-Type Tourer and shorten the chassis five inches. Just like that, the MG TD roadster was born.
The TD also carried a few modifications aimed at the U.S. market. Specifically, left-hand drive was offered, along with rack-and-pinion steering, smaller, 15-inch steel disc wheels (no wire wheels were offered), and larger bumpers. In turn, the car was wider and 200 pounds heavier than the TC. Keeping with its predecessor, the TD's weather protection was minimal.
The MG TD still used the 54-hp, 1,250-cc XPAG inline-four motor to reach a top speed in the mid-70 mph range, which meant the second of MG's T-Series cars was a tad slower than the first. Even so, the TD's modifications conspired with a newly devalued British pound to make the TD an unqualified success and 29,664 were sold in four years - three times the TC production. More than 80% of that figure were imported to the U.S. In the middle of 1951, the TD received a new engine block and sump, as well as a larger clutch and a new flywheel, and this iteration is now commonly referred to as the TD2.
In general, the MG T-Series delivers a pure 1940's / early 1950's British driving experience, and the TD is no exception. Its mechanicals are robust and mostly easy to source, which makes ownership relatively straightforward.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 930 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- If you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please call us, or e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this MGTD by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Under Front Fender
Terms & Conditions
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.