1962 MG Midget/Bugeye
- Condition: Used
- Make: MG
- Model: Midget
- Year: 1962
- Mileage: 200,000
- Engine size: 1098
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1962 MG Midget
Rare MK1 with Bugeye bonnet. Resurrected a beautiful 1962 MG midget and replaced front end with a cool Bugeye Sprite front end. Best of both worlds- Looks like a bugeye but has a trunk. Perfect for anyone who loves Bugeyes but doesn’t want to pay top dollar. Bought this car as a project to teach my kids how to work on cars. Lots of work done. You can see in the pics what it came from over the span of 18 months. It was a lot of fun but now time to move on to the next project. Not 100% done but pretty darn close and a pretty unique car.
Here’s what has been done:
· All body work completely redone. Should be solid for another 50 years.
· New single stage paint. Could use a wet sand and buff. Or just drive as is. Looks fine for a daily driver but not show quality.
· Brand new transmission with a one year warranty (January 2015). Shifts beautifully.
· 1098 engine instead of original 948.
· New water pump.
· Replaced mechanical fuel pump with electric fuel pump.
· Complete radiator system and coolant flush.
· Steering system rebooted, reased and all rubber bits replaced in front end suspension.
· Replaced generator with modern alternator. Now has reliable electricity in the car and plenty of it for anything you might add like a stereo. Also headlights at night no longer lose brightness when stopped at a light (since the original speedometer was mechanically driven from the generator, he speedometer is now just a decoration on the dash. Does not function but well worth it. Could always be returned to original).
· Modern blade fuse box.
· Complete rewire and new wiring harness.
· New gauges/ switches where needed.
· New headlights.
· All wiring done professionally- very clean.
· New battery. Larger than needed for this car but nice for extra power.
· Complete overhaul of braking and clutch system.
· Complete replacement of all drums, ads, prings, ines (soft lines)-both front and rear.
· New brake/ clutch master cylinder.
· New clutch slave.
· New seat upholstery.
· New modern seat adjusters to replace original sliders.
· Brand new MonaLita steering wheel and custom wood door cards, ustom wood rear passenger/ trunk divider and custom wood dash top trim to match. (speakers in pics do not come with the car but are standard 6” round)
· Custom dash upholstery.
· Herculined the entire inside of the vehicle to prevent any issues. Let it rain!
· New floor carpet.
· New roll bar installed.
· New three point restraint system installed.
Axles & wheels
· New tires with only about 100 miles on them.
· Rear Axles rebuilt.
· Rear shocks replaced with modern tube shocks.
· It does not come with a top. I never left it out in the rain and didn’t want to drive it in the rain. It does come with the proper frame for the top and also the side windows. Both in good shape. If you decide you want to order a top you have the other important/ expensive parts already. The only other thing you would need are the little chrome clasps that button the top to the body. I removed the old ones for painting and they weren’t good enough to put back on. Holes are there still for easy install.
· Lots of little rubber and chrome bits and parts that I ordered from Moss. Some ended up extra. Nothing of any great value but a nice little box of new bits & pieces is yours if needed. I will put them in a box in the trunk when it ships.
If you are looking for a car that has been completely restored and is all original then this is not the car for you. If you are looking for a car that, orks, ooks great and is going to be a lot of fun then this might be the car for you. This is a 52-year-old car and therefore, here is no warranty either expressed or implied. The car is sold "as-is". I will require a $500 non-refundable deposit within 48 hours after auction end. The remaining balance is due within 72 hours. Accepted methods of payment are: bank wire transfers and cash. I will accept Paypal but please make sure when using Paypal that you pay for the all fees associated with the Paypal payment. It seems that it would be well worth your time to go to the bank and do a wire transfer for what it will cost you to pay through Paypal. Car will not be shipped until all payments are cleared and fees paid.
I will assist with shipping the car within the Continental United States only. All arrangements with transporters, ncluding but not limited to, ees, hipping charges, ther transportation costs and logistics scheduling are the sole responsibility of the buyer. I will not turn over the car to a transportation company without a bill of lading.
The car is registered and insured in California. The registration will come with the car and serves as the title for the car and is transferable as such. If you are a buyer from out of state, he registration/title will be mailed to you, nd it is up to you as the buyer to register, ay taxes, tc. The license plates, hich must be turned into the DMV, o not come with the car. The car is insured up until the buyer and/or transportation company arrives to pick up the car, t which time the policy will be cancelled, ffective immediately.
The car is listed locally, nd I reserve the right to end this auction early should it sell from one of these advertisements.