1972 Cougar XR7 351CJ-Not your Grandfathers Cougar !
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercury
- Model: Cougar
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: XR7
- Year: 1972
- Mileage: 72,500
- VIN: 2F93Q519626
- Color: Blue
- Engine size: 351 CJ
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Power Seats
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1972 Mercury Cougar
This is NOT your grandfathers Cougar!
1972 Cougar XR7
351C Cobra Jet “Q” Code
VIDEO on you tube - enter : 1972 Cougar XR7 September 2016
Contact me with questions, requests for more photos or to come and look at the car.
The car is well sorted and perfect for touring, car shows or cruise nights. The 351 CJ runs super and the minor mods have really woken up the potential from the Cleveland. The 4 speed shifts very smoothly and never have an issue with shifting. The sound from the exhaust is like a symphony, mellow with no drone but crack open the throttle and it makes it presence known without being too loud. Car comes with plenty of owner history, receipts, owner’s manual, factory dealer books that were used by the sales team and plenty of pictures that were taken during the restoration. These show how straight and rust free the car was prior to being redone.
Positives- Unique and one of a kind Cougar that has a perfect rust free body that looks amazing. The 351 CJ really performs and the 4 speed is just icing on the cake. If this were a Mustang, Chevelle or Camaro it would be double the price. You could not build this for anywhere near the buy-it now price.
Flaws- few and far between…The passenger side mirror fell out but these are cheap from any supplier, no damage to the paint. The paint has three minor chips and 1” fray in the driver’s seat fabric. Other than that I would say it is almost perfect!
· Totally rust free California car. Body stripped to bare metal, vinyl top removed. Painted with Dupont chroma paint in Grabber Blue with prowler purple stripes and clear coated. The paint was wet sanded and buffed to perfection. Re-chromed bumpers, new weather-stripping all around.
· Original 351CJ professionally rebuilt, bored .030 with forged pistons, CJ intake, 725cfm Demon carburetor topped by a K&N billet air cleaner, .507 Summit cam 218’/228’ duration with a range of 2,600-4,500RPM range- a perfect street cam. MSD Unilte distributor, MSD coli, MSD wires 8.5mm with billet plug wire looms. Melling hi-volume oil pump, Ford Motorsport pump drive, Ford Motorsport valve covers, Ford Motorsport double roller timing chain. Balanced rotating assembly.
· Correct CJ heads with crane 1.7 roller rockers, stainless Milodon valves, 7’ locks, Comp valve springs, guide pates, new bronze guides, hardened valve seats, with hardened pushrods. Hooker ceramic coated headers with a complete new exhaust, quiet with a mellow tone.
· Chrome master cylinder cover, polished overflow tank, voltage regulator, Chrome alternator Optima battery, engine bay highly detailed.
· New front suspension-upper control arm bushings, new ball joints, new lower control arms with bushings and ball joints, spring saddles, tie rods and adjusters, springs, poly sway bar ends, end links and frame mounts, rotors, calipers, pads, brake hoses, master cylinder. Hurst roll control.
· 9” rear painted and detailed. New 3.89 gears, carrier bearings, axle bearings, seals, synthetic oil, stainless brake lines, new rubber hose, converted to leaf springs, rubber isolators removed and replaced with steel spacers for more precise handling, new u-joints, trans yoke and traction bars.
· Hayes flywheel, Centerforce clutch kit with dual friction, throwout bearing. Lakewood ”blow proof” bell housing. Top loader gone through with new seals and bearings, speedo gear and synthetic oil.
Tires and wheels
· Chrome Cobra 5 spoke rims with 275/40 ZR17’s up front and massive 315/35ZR17’s in the rear. These fill the wheel wells nicely. The Cougar has a very aggressive stance from the rear.
· Completely original interior that shows almost no wear. Factory matching front floor mats, Power seats, AM/FM radio, all gauges work properly, small 1” fray in driver’s seat fabric, could be easily repaired.