1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone
Price: US $4,900.00 Item location: Henderson, Nevada, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercury
- Model: Comet
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: Cyclone
- Year: 1965
- Mileage: n/a
- VIN: 5J27A513873
- Color: White
- Engine size: n/a
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: Rear wheel
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1965 Mercury CometHello eBay!
Up for sale is my 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone.
Originally purchased as a project car to button up and bomb around town and the drag strip, I've lost interest so my loss is your gain. My plan was to drop in a 289 or 302 and go hit the strip as-is but have since moved on. I have a clean Nevada title in hand.
Either drop in an engine and some elbow grease and you'll be on the streets in no time, or spend some time and get it truly nice and street worthy
One of only 400 Comet Cyclones made in 1965, this is a clean example but either needs to be fully restored to make up the years or simply buttoned up with an engine and hit the strip as-is. Back in the day, these were the trophy winners on the drag strips of America with it's brother, the Ford Thunderbolt. Based on the Falcon platform and cousin to the Ford Fairlane (which all in turn ended up as the Mustang), this rare care is a forgotten piece of history.
VIN = 5J27A513873
5 = 1965
J = Los Angeles
27 = 2 door hardtop Cyclone
A = 289ci 4-valve Premium
- It has a rebuilt C4, manual drums and steering, bucket seats and floor shifter but needs an engine from carb to pan, radiator and associated plumbing to be buttoned up.
- I don't know the rear gears, but it sounds like it's got a locker, Posi or some form of LSD in the back (tires rotate but squeal when you're turning).
- It includes a full open exhaust (not currently hanging)from the long tube headers to flame-throwers at the tips with the control box and a line-lock on the front drums brakes already installed.
- The body is clean, but the paint looks like an older single stage with several scratches. The scratches have been touched up, but are still there.
- There are signs of previous rust on the top of the rear fenders/window as I can see some signs of bondo.There is rust around the rear arches as you can see in the pics.
- Some of the rear trim around the windows is missing but the holes have been temporarily plugged to keep out water etc.
- The front bumper is straight but pitted and the rear bumper has been bumped. Both are candidates for repair and rechroming or can be simply replaced.
- The wheels are Weld Racing aluminum and are in good condition and polish out nicely. The tires are good but are older - maybe good for a solid burn-out before replacing them and getting serious about driving.
- Frame is solid and straight, trunk is dry, no rust.
Interior:- Interior is dry no rust.
- All glass is present and installed.
- Interior includes the driver door panel (not installed) as some moisture got to it so it warped a bit.
- Interior has a headliner but needs a new one to be installed properly (bows are all there)
- Front bucket seats need to be reupholstered.
- Carpet looks fine.
- Windows are tinted dark, but it looks good on the car.
Notes:This is being sold as-is as a project car. It does not run! There is no engine and the brakes do not work!It includes the car as you see it in the pictures, plus the exhaust (not pictured).Buyer is responsible for shipping of the vehicle and of the exhaust (which doesn't fit inside the car)
Deposit due upon winning the auction. Full payment due in 7 days. Talk to me if you would like me to hold the vehicle for a specified period to arrange for shipping.
Vehicle is located in Henderson, NV (Las Vegas)
Feel free to ask any questions about the vehicle - I'm not a Ford or Comet expert but if I can reasonably find it on the car I'll answer you.