Past Owner History, Stock Configuration, Originally from & mostly used in
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercedes-Benz
- Model: SL-Class
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1967
- Mileage: 137052
- VIN: 11304212018136
- Vehicle Title: Clean Want to buy? Contact seller!
1967 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class1967 Mercedes-Benz 230SL Convertible
Want to see 340 Hi-Res Photos? Contact Chad
Past Owner History, Stock Configuration, Originally from & mostly used in California
Car was bought new in California, and remained there for about 25 years. Than went to a relative in Colorado, and than bought by a gentleman (Colorado relatives college roommate) in the current owners town in Pennsylvania. Then they pursued a purchase from him. This SL has an extremely solid body, and has spent most of its miles as a California car. The rest of the time appears that it has been kept out of the elements, so it has been well preserved. The contrast and color combination is very striking, with very nice quality chrome, paint, and body. Car has past ownership info, and many service records. Car had left front fender, hood, and other repairs after a collision. See copies of body, and major mechanical work in pictures. Engine was rebuilt, and new cylinder head was installed. We have no record, but last oil change was done in 2018-2019, and tires replaced approx 2 years ago per owner. In 2020 a new battery was installed along with new rear wheel brake cylinders and shoes. This couple have enjoyed car now for 20 plus years, and it is now time to find this SL a new home.
DETAILS OF CAR:
* Leather Seating Area* Am/ Fm Radio* Removable Hardtop* Hardtop Storage Cart* Manual Convertible Top* Heater* Radial Tires* Full Wheel Covers* Front Disc Brakes* Fuel Injected 6 Cylinder Engine* Automatic Transmission* Reclining Seat Backs* New Battery* Seat Belts Left and Right with Extender on Right Side
* The paint is very smooth, very shiny, and seems to match pretty well all the way around. I can see an ever so slight difference between the right front fender, and the door. I am not sure if it is actually the paint, or the light that I am in. (see pictures)
* Its obvious the paint was very professionally applied and we do not see any type of defects in workmanship. It would be my guess that this car, (thought I do not see any indication of it), was repainted at some point as its just to nice to be the finish it was born with.
* There is a small touched up nick at the right front fender corner of the hood. A small touched up chip on the right rear quarter, a thin spot on the top of the right quarter, and a little nick on the top of the left quarter. (See Pictures)
* We do not know the age of the paint, or exactly what has been repainted. We do have a document from when the car was involved in an accident with the left front fender, hood, and surrounding areas being replaced or repaired. (See Pictures)
* There is a light scratch on the back of the left quarter, which would probably polish out very easily.
* No orange peel showing in the paint.
* The body appears to be all steel and aluminum panels that are all nice and straight and show of excellent craftsmanship. I would not say they are laser straight, but are very professionally and expertly done.
* The fits on the hood, trunk, and doors are very uniform, and even all the way around. Including the hood, and the left front fender that was replaced at one time. The workmanship is phenomenal!
Magnetic Paint Gauge-
* It appears that the front fenders, and the rear quarters are the only parts we can measure. We are getting readings in the 6-8 mils of paint & materials on the four panels. With the left front being 2-3 mils thicker, but all very well in acceptable standards.
* All the bright work appears to be fastened well, and in the correct position.
* The bright work that surrounds the windshield, and the tops of the doors all appear to be that of a car just a few years old.
* The bright work is very shiny, reflective, and straight.
* Front and rear bright work, as well as the side molding, door handles, headlight and taillight bezels, and trunk lid chrome all looks like that of a couple year old car.
* It is all really in nice shape with the only exception being the right rear bumper where a fuel filler nozzle would possibly rest and scratch from filling with fuel and also a small scratch on the right top corner of the windshield, and on the right door piece. (See Pictures)
* Both door glass have the â€œSekuritâ€ label, and we where not able to find a label on the windshield or the rear plastic window.
* The windshield, and side windows all look very clear without any discoloring, delamination, bulls-eyes, or cracks. There are maybe a few pin head size nicks in the windshield from normal driving.
* Being extremely critical you can see a little faint wiper wear scratch about 3 inches down from the right side top corner.
* The removable hard-top has paint that is the same quality as the rest of the car we described. The bright work on the top is also like that of a car just a couple years old.
* The headliner all seems to be in place, with a little bit of age, and slight color difference on a couple of the panels. The panels all seem to be good and solid.
* The convertible top is dark brown, and still shows very good coloring.
* In the photos we had only put the top up 30 minutes earlier, and the owner indicated that they did not think the top had been up in 5 years. So I think that keeping it up a little longer, with washing, and sunlight, and stretched out it would form and fit better. However It does not look bad for being folded away that long.
* Youâ€™ll notice not only is the color good, but the stitching is in pretty good shape also. Maybe a few spots where it is slightly worn, but all the stitching seems to be holding well.
* On the left, and the right top edge of the top there is a little more wear as the top may have worn going up & then into storage. Also a little tiny slit at the right rear corner, and a little bit more wear on the left rear corner. (See Pictures)
* The top is probably usable for many more years, but is not brand new or perfect. (See Pictures)
* The inside of the convertible top does show some age. (See Pictures) * We do not have an age on the top and owner indicated they purchased car with this top.
* The rear window is cloudy.
* The bottom edge of the top tends to curl up, and it may or may not relax after the top has been up a while.
* We can not be sure but the interior very well could be all original, or like original components.
* The sun visors vinyl covering is in good condition, but the interior structure has broken down.
* The seats have good coloring. * The dash and door panels, with the maroon covering is in really nice shape, and shows very well.
* The dash is in strikingly good condition, with good bright work, levers, and switches. For the most part the bright work shows almost no wear, and maybe a little bit of pitting on the steering wheel horn ring. (See Pictures)
* There is more wear showing on the upholster on the driver seat, which is very common. (See Pictures)
* The seats may have lost some of their firmness over the years, but are quite usable and comfortable as they are.
* The carpet is all in very nice condition in terms of the fibers and the seams, however the coloring has badly faded in certain areas.
* The gauges are all in nice condition with a little bit of a foggy lenses between the two round gauges. The rectangular gauges has some fog on the upper right side.
*The trunk area is in very good order. You will see that it does have what appears to be a correct fitting mat covering the all black floor.
* It does have a spare tire, and what appears to be the jacking mechanism.( See Pictures)
* If you look closely at the seams, and the seal in the trunk, you do not see any deterioration in the trunk floor.
Tires and Wheels-
* Firestone- All Season Tubeless Radials
* The tires and caps do not show any cracking, or curb damage that is noticeable. However each of the 4 trim rings do have a light scrap on them.(See Pictures)
* Left Front â€“ 195-70-14 10/32 Tread Remaining* Left Rear- 195-70-14 10/32 Tread Remaining* Right Front- 195-70-14 10/32 Tread Remaining* Right Rear- 195-70-14 10/32 Tread Remaining
Engine and Transmission-
* The engine compartment looks as thought it has been left in its stock configuration the way that it was built with of course normal service, and repair parts as needed.
* We can see the hoses and clamps have been replaced, as well as the battery.
* Engine was rebuilt at 126,040 miles.- This is what I found on the bill for a rebuild & head that was all together around $3400.00 (approx. 11,000 miles ago)
* The underside of the car looks like it has survived well, and is very solid. The normal oils, and dirt have actually formed a good carrier on a lot of the parts underneath, and preserved it well.
* It appears that it has gotten greased regularly.
* I see there are some new hoses, and belts.
* There appears to be some light seepage around the oil pan, and lower section of the block. Above that and all the way up to the valve cover it is dry from what we can see.
* There is some partial drips forming at the bottom of the transmission, and some light oil over various portions, so you might see some drops on the floor. (See Pictures)
* You can see an older front exhaust portion and what appears to be a label on a newer correct rear dual exhaust pipe.
* You will see that the rubber hoses for the rear brakes where replaced at some time.
* We are noticing a little seepage, or what looks like brake fluid in the bottom of the right rear brake drum area, so it may have a problem with a wheel cylinder.
* This looks like a car that has seen very little corrosion, and only light surface rust. You can see underneath the points where the rack is holding it that they are good, and solid(at least appear to be).
* From the rear end I do see oil or grease seepage, but not significant fluid running out. Again rely heavily on the pictures.
* If you look closely where the hoist is pushing on the body to lift the car, where you see a little flaking away is the coating that was put over the steel.
* 4 way flashers work, front and rear* Left blinkers work front and rear* Right blinkers work front and rear* Windshield washers work* Headlights work, left and right* Taillights work, left and right* Front marker lights work, left and right* License plate light works* Forgot to test brights beams* Tachometer works* Speedometer works* Odometer works* Idling warm shows about 45 psi oil pressure* Fuel gauge working* Driver and passenger windows roll up and down smoothly without issues* Manual antenna can be raised, and lowered* Inside and outside door handles both work* There is a little toggle on each door that we are not sure of what operates* There is a key for both doors, a key for the ignition, and a key for trunk that do all work / comes with 2 sets of keys* Horn works* Radio works well on FM and a few stations on AM* On SW I am not able to get anything* Four levers on the dash â€“ 3 of them work but right top only works about half way from the left side to the middle* Separate toggle switch for radio power works ( radio built in on-off switch not working)* Separate switch for interior dome light works* Both seats adjust front and back* Adjuster for reclining works on both seats, as well as the seat back releases work* Trunk release works, and locks and unlocks correctly* Emergency brake works* Shifter works properly, we where able to go around town and get 3 speeds forward or least that is what I felt like* Runs at about 180 degrees Fahrenheit when the engine is warmed up* Clock is not working* Speedometer glass cracked, but does work* See pictures for owners manual, and other related item included
Test Drive -
Chad drove the car several times mostly around town, and it seemed to steer properly. The drive train does clunk a bit when you go from forward to reverse, or reverve to forward, but seems to work just fine. The brakes work well, and stop smoothly but the peddle seems a little low and there is some seepage of what looks to be brake fluid at the right rear brake. Owner is going to have this looked at. The engine seems to start easily, you do not have to put your foot on the gas pedal with fuel injection. It just cranks over in about a second or two. The car runs well overall.
Interested buyers please call Chad Gumpp
10% deposit ($1,000 minimum) must be received within three (3) days of the close of the auction and the balance due within 10 days of the auction. Extenuating circumstances may warrant us to revise the amount of deposit to protect the interest of the buyer and the seller.
Acceptable payment options:
ï‚·ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï€ Cash-in-person, verified by a bank
ï‚·ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï€ Bank to bank wire transfers to sellerâ€™s account
ï‚·ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï‚ ï€ Cashierâ€™s or bank check equivalent to cash
Interested buyers please call Chad Gumpp at 330-353-1750
Conditions of Sale:
Auto Connection is a 3rd party agent, assisting both buyers AND sellers. The vehicles they sell are from private owners and collectors, and they provide advertising, marketing, and consulting services for individuals and companies.
The Auto Connection representative has physically viewed the item being sold. The information comes from the seller and other research sources. Auto Connection is not responsible for any misrepresentation by the seller and/or errors in research results, including history statements of vehicle history, repairs, etc.
This vehicle is being sold AS IS and without a warranty, unless otherwise stated.
Information about serial numbers, engine numbers, and any other codes does not guarantee a vehicleâ€™s authenticity. These codes and numbers are not guaranteed to be the same as the information on the vehicle ID or vin, trim tag, engine block, cylinder heads, transmission, differential, or other components within this vehicle. Auto Connection does not guarantee documentation, authenticity, repairs, mechanical work, titles, odometer discrepancies, matching numbers, stamped engines, casting numbers, or any other codes, tags, or numbers. The potential for reproduction paper documentation exists, as well as restamped engines and reproduced trim/data tags.
Auto Connection has described this vehicle to the best of their knowledge, but does not guarantee the accuracy of the description. Prospective buyers are encouraged to conduct their own due diligence, including a physical inspection of the vehicle in person, or through a qualified third party inspector/appraiser.
The vehicle will remain for sale until a buyer has placed a deposit on it. This deposit is nonrefundable with the exception of the vehicle being severely misrepresented by Auto Connection or the seller, or stipulated in the Bill of Sale.
It is possible that this vehicle will be sold at a higher price than the highest bid (before or after the auction ends), if the reserve is not met. After the sale (if reserve is met or not), Auto Connection must receive at least a 10% deposit (wire transfer or official bank or cashierâ€™s check) within 3 days of the end of the auction (or the Bill of Sale is signed). The high bidder/buyer has 10 days from this time to send the balance in full or final payment and inspect the vehicle (or have a 3rd party professional inspection).
For the most part, the vehicle for sale is not â€œperfectâ€. It is unreasonable to assume that every single flaw in the paint, body, engine, etc. or any minor mechanical items (such as a light not working) be considered a reason to refuse the vehicle. Major rust/rot, undisclosed problems with the frame, etc. might constitute a legitimate reason for the buyer to refuse to follow through with the sale. In that situation, the seller and buyer will try to reach an agreeable solution.
The buyer acknowledges that he has had the opportunity to inspect the vehicle to verify it is as listed and represented. He accepts the vehicle with all advertised equipment, options and accessories in "AS IS" condition with any faults or defects. The buyer will bear all future costs of repairs or correcting any defects that exist or may occur in the future. The seller will have no responsibility or liability for any consequential damages or injury caused by any failure or malfunction of the vehicle or any components. This car is being offered for sale by owner. The buyer and seller acknowledge that if the transaction is consummated and a dispute occurs relating to the sale, the laws of Ohio (the state that the car is located/sold) govern the rights and duties under the agreement.
PLEASE READ THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU BID.
We reserve the right to verify any bids to ensure all bids are legitimate in order to protect the interest of the seller. You are entering into a legal and binding contract to purchase this vehicle. If you do not intend to purchase this item, do not bid! Bidder must be able to pay cash or have all loans PRE-APPROVED before bidding on this vehicle. Unqualified Bidding, Bid Shielding, Auction Interference, and any form of harassment will be subject to legal prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. We reserve the right to notify bidders and cancel this auction. We shall not be held liable for any such cancellation and/or closure. Bidder agrees to the jurisdiction of Ohio "Stark County" for all disputes. By bidding, bidder accepts all the terms and conditions above.
If you have any question concerning the auction please call 330-452-5788 or email Chad@AutoConnectioncars.com Auto Connection will make every effort to answer your questions promptly. Please ask questions BEFORE bidding.
DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT
All Images and HTML are owned and copyrighted by Auto Connection for our express use and control. Anyone using our images or design without our express written authorization is in violation of Federal Law and eBay's rules and regulations. eBay will be notified and violators may be prosecuted by Federal Law.