1988 MERCEDES 560SL 37K ONE OWNER CA CAR, RECORDS / 2 TOPS
Price: US $44,900.00 Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercedes-Benz
- Model: SL-Class
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: 2 Door
- Year: 1988
- Mileage: 37,500
- VIN: WDBBA48DXJA089347
- Color: Desert Taupe
- Engine size: V8
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Power Locks, Power Windows, Power Seats
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Creme Beige Leather
- Safety options: Anti-Lock Brakes
- Options: Leather Seats, CD Player, Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1988 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
1988 Mercedes 560SL
Desert Taupe Metallic w/ Crème Beige Leather & Two Tops
A Life-long California Car Owned by One Northern California Family Since New
Well Documented Including Books, indow Sticker ($64K+), ealer Brochure
Only 37,512 Actual Miles; Just Serviced by a Mercedes Professional
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, onsiderations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, e continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, f you are not prepared to read the full listing, lease scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, lease call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Mercedes and answer any questions over the telephone, ncluding our "Buy it Now" policy. Yes, he Mercedes can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, NGINE, NDERCARRIAGE, TC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MERCEDES, UT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, OU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, LEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF EBAY POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MERCEDES. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP" OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, nlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, ou will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 21+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 850 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, uitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, onded (for the financial transaction), ully insured, nd operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, nd specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, lease let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, res.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1988 MERCEDES-BENZ 560SL
We are regularly asked to locate very well maintained "honest" all original low mileage examples of the desirable Mercedes SL cars, specially the 560SL, hat many consider the "Best of the Best" in the "107 class" of Mercedes two-seaters. Frankly, any of the SL cars on the market today are not cars that we would consider worthy of consideration for our customers that are looking for high quality, re-owned Mercedes convertibles. More often than not the available SL cars have very high mileage, ave not received the necessary maintenance and have not been serviced by a Mercedes- Benz dealer or qualified technicians. Others have had multiple owners and have spent their life in "rust zones" in parts of the USA / World. That is certainly not the case with this particular SL. This Mercedes is, imply stated, ne of the nicest examples of a low mileage, ne family owned, alifornia pre-owned Mercedes 560SL that we have ever had the pleasure of representing.
This 560SL Mercedes was manufactured in May 1988. The included original window sticker shows it was then imported into San Francisco, nd sold by Autohaus Brugger in Redwood City, A to the California owner family on May 24, 988, s verified by the included metal data/ID plate. It has spent its entire life with this family, ither in the Central Valley of California or the Bay Area as supported by the CARFAX report. The CARFAX report supports the ownership history along with a clean history relative to accidents, heft, dometer rollback, lood, nd other negative activity. It also shows the car has always passed California emissions inspection without any problems.
The car has a clear California title and is currently registered and licensed in California. The car carries VIN # WDBBA48DXJA089347. The original window sticker shows a total price of $64,005.00 resulting in a delivered price of close to $70,000.00 (in 1988!). In the 27 years of ownership, he car has been driven a documented 37,500 miles, n average of only 1400 miles per year! With a car of this pedigree, he buyer can anticipate many future years and miles of pleasurable driving in addition to almost certain continued appreciation by collectors and enthusiasts alike.
This car has been regularly serviced by a Mercedes-Benz dealer or one of the premier Mercedes-Benz repair facilities. The most recent service, s documented by included receipts, s as follows:
- 04/27/15; 35,870 miles; S.A.S. German Auto; $805-New Electro-Hydraulic Actuator (EHA) valve (controls fuel pressure), ew oil and filter, rake fluid flush
- 10/10/14; 31,824 miles; S.A.S. German Auto; $1,587-New water pump, ew thermostat, new drive belts, ew exhaust hangers
The long-time Mercedes specialist who performed the above maintenance declared "This is a truly exceptional example of a 560SL".
- Original Owner's Manual
- Original window sticker
- Metal data/ID plate verifying California delivery and 05/24/88 in service date
- Original 1988-89 California registration showing license 2KTR952
- Receipts from S.A.S. German Auto for the recent maintenance detailed above
- Current, otally clean CARFAX report
- 5.6 liter light alloy V8 engine, single overhead cams, main bearings, 27 hp / 279 lb-ft torque
- KE III Electromechanical fuel injection
- 4-speed automatic transmission w/ torque converter
- Limited slip differential
- Unitized all-steel body
- Power assisted steering
- Cruise control
- 100 ampere Mercedes-Benz battery in enclosed case in trunk
- Fully independent suspension both front and rear; gas-pressurized shocks; coil springs; anti-roll bars
- Power assisted 4-wheel disc brakes; fronts ventilated
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Light alloy wheels
- Newer 205/65R15 black wall radial tires, /32" remaining tread
SAFETY AND SECURITY
- Supplemental restraint system (air bags)
- 3-point seat belts w/ inertial reels, ront emergency tensioning retractors
- Head restraints
- Anti-theft alarm system w/ radio theft deterrent
- Desert Taupe Metallic paint in excellent condition; small key scratch above driver's side door lock but in excellent overall cosmetic and mechanical condition
- Hard top in matching Desert Taupe Metallic w/ electrically heated rear window
- Excellent dark brown soft top with clear window and properly adjusted frame
- Tinted glass all around in excellent condition
- Automatic radio antenna on left rear quarter panel
- Dual outside rear view mirrors
- German precision fit of all body panels
- Both doors, ood and trunk lid open and close smartly
- Aerodynamic halogen head and fog lamps
- Excellent grille
- Excellent stainless steel trim around all windows, n the hard top and dual side strips
- Excellent bumpers w/ excellent "California quality chrome"; very small indentation on upper right end of front bumper
- Black rubber body side moulding atop one stainless steel side trim piece protects from door dings
- Black rubber on ends of both bumpers and bumper guards in fine condition
- Crème beige leather seating in very good condition only reflecting the patina of fine leather
- Fully adjustable bucket seats & head restraints
- Beautiful factory original off-white headliner in hard top
- Roof mounted assist grips on hard top
- Beige carpeting throughout in good condition
- Excellent beige door panels w/ map pockets
- Black seat belts
- Dent-free, hiny sill plates
- Excellent black, o-cracks padded dash w/ wood trim strip
- "Wood" trimming on console
- Leather-covered steering wheel and gear selector
- Automatic climate control
- Central locking
- Electrically operated windows
- 2-speed windshield wipers w/ mist control
- Electronic AM/FM stereo radio w/ cassette player
- Front center folding armrest
- Tachometer/quartz chronometer
- Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
- Trunk contains original full size spare tire that has never been on the ground
- Excellent beige carpet throughout trunk
The Desert Taupe Metallic paint is absolutely striking and in excellent condition. It was reported as being totally original but it appears as if one panel has received touch up although it is virtually impossible to detect. There are no body dings/dents and imperfections or suggestions of previous repair or damage. Any minor imperfections are difficult to locate and in no way detract from the appearance and charm of the Mercedes. As noted, here is one small scratch above the driver's side door lock that is too small to be seen in even the close-up photos. The matching factory hard top is in similar fine condition and has an excellent headliner. The hardtop has been on the car for most of its life and the original soft top is in excellent condition as a result. It fits very well and the hardtop is free from the scratches and damage that we often seen when a top has been removed and re-installed multiple times.
The dark brown factory soft top is in great condition and has a good rear window. All stainless trim is in excellent shape. Bumper chrome is excellent. There is an extremely small indentation in the upper right end of the front bumper. All 4 Mercedes light alloy wheels are in good shape with no curb rash but with some characteristic loss of brilliance. Similarly, he valence panel under the nose has no curb rash. All glass is excellent. All rubber on the bumpers and body side mouldings is excellent.
The crème beige leather seating is also excellent. The beige carpeting is all very nice as are the beige door panels. The black padded dash is excellent and crack-free. The black leather-wrapped steering wheel is free from any flaws and reflects the low, ow miles on the 560SL.
The engine compartment is extremely clean and totally original in its configuration. The entire engine bay is free from any accumulation of dirt, rease and grime and reflects the excellent care that the 560SL has received. The trunk is fully carpeted in beige and appears as new. The underside of the car, hile not detailed, s "California" clean with only surface dirt and no rust.
The car runs and drives as expected for such a well maintained, ow mileage Mercedes. In fact, t is one of the more powerful examples that we have had over the course of 20+ years. It starts immediately when cold, nd runs and drives extremely well. The idle is smooth and the car has been totally reliable. The Mercedes doesn't exhibit any issues, uns cool even on the warmest days, nd has excellent brakes and steering. The 560SL has disc brakes that stop the car straight and sure. The parking brake works properly.
The transmission is free from any issues and there are no signs of slipping, oise, r shifting issues. The remaining drive-line components are equally as good and the undercarriage inspection by Mercedes professionals shows a totally rust free, o damage frame & suspension components. The cars underside has the appearance of a car that is just a few years old!
The oil pressure reads well in excess of 60 lbs. of pressure, he temperature gauge stays in the lower/middle few hash marks (even on very warm, alifornia days), nd the charging system is excellent.
The air conditioning is fully functional and blows cold. Also, he climate control / heating & defrosting system is completely functional.
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, urn signals, ights, rakes, tc.
- Current California registration and clear California title
- Average annual mileage only 1,400 miles
- Clean CARFAX; no accidents
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1988 MERCEDES-BENZ 560SL
- Length 180.3"
- Wheelbase 96.7"
- Width 70.5"
- Height 51.1"
- Turning circle 35.2'
- Curb weight 3705 lb.
- 5547 cc V8 engine w/ 2 single overhead cams, main bearings, 27 hp / 279 lb-ft. torque
- KE III electromechanical fuel injection
- 4-speed automatic transmission w/ torque converter
- Rear axle ratio 2.47:1
- Unitized all-steel body
- Front suspension-independent w/ single upper control arm & single lower A-frame, oil springs, nti-roll bar, as-pressurized shocks
- Rear suspension-independent, emi-trailing arms, constant velocity joints, oil springs, nti-roll bar, as-pressurized shocks, imited slip differential
- Disc brakes all around, ront ventilated, nti-lock braking system
- Fuel 22.5 gal (plus 3 gal reserve), remium
HISTORY OF THE MERCEDES-BENZ 560SL
The Mercedes-Benz SL is a grand tourer manufactured since 1954. The designation SL derives from the German Sport Leicht, r Sport Lightweight and was first applied to the 1954 300SL, ften referred to as the "Gullwing" due to its upward-opening doors. The term SL-Class refers to the marketing variations of the vehicle now spanning six design generations. The 560SL represents the end of the third generation of SL's.
The Mercedes-Benz 560SL was launched in 1985 and available as a convertible coupe. It was a luxury sports car that had a Type 107 body shell that had made its appearance in 1970 on the 350SL. The 560SL was created for the American market, ith its 5.6 liter overhead-camshaft V8 engine. Production continued through the 1989 model year.
Standard equipment included a limited slip differential, evised steering geometry, eather upholstery, nti-lock braking, nti-theft alarm system, eather trimmed steering wheel and shift lever, tereo radio-cassette, nd an improved climate control system. Most cars were fitted with the optional, igh quality removable hard-top that offered the flexibility of a convertible or hard-top.
The 560SL is considered one of the premier sport / luxury cars and included numerous standard equipment items. Of course, t was produced by Mercedes-Benz, company with a long standing reputation for its racing pedigree and commitment to style, erformance, nd refinement.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, e recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, ut not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, xterior, op, hrome, tc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, icensing by the state, nd a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, rievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, ransport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, mall, alifornia town for over 21 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", ndoor showroom, nd specialize in the sale, onsignment, nd purchase of sports, igh performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, rivate owners and collectors, nd many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, ith excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, nd around the country. As a result, e do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, uch as wholesale auctions, alvage sales, r lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, r those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, lassic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, r through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, omplete, nd thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, erminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 850 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, onded, nd licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, nd will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, e find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), hanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, alifornia buyers will be subject
to sales tax, documentation fee, MV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, ales-tax, icense/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, f you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, tc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Mercedes by serious, ualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, e make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, nd highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, tanding in the community, ength of time in business, nd other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, icks, cratches, tc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, r even a relatively new, sed "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, wnership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, hese cars require regular, ngoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, atience, nd understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, ollector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, n some instances, as been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, e are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style:Convertible / Hardtop Exterior Color:Desert Taupe Interior Color:Creme Beige Leather Engine:V8 Transmission: Automatic Mileage:37500 Drive:Rear Doors:2
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
California Lic & Reg
Dual Side Mirrors
Exceptional Paint Quality
Factory Air Conditioning
Factory Bucket Seats
Factory Center Console
Factory Mercedes Bodywork
Factory Mercedes Hardtop
Factory Original Spare / Tools
Factory Seat Belts
Local California "Survivor"
Matching Numbers Engine
Matching Numbers Transmission
Original Jack & Tools
Original Owners Manual
Rear Storage Area
Rear Window Defogger
Runs / Drives Very Well
SMG 6-Speed Transmission
All Original Body Tags
Terms & Conditions
- Buyers outside of California will be responsible for a $195.00 fee for processing/administration. The charge will apply if the vehicle is purchased through ebay or before or after the auction, irectly through Classic Cars Ltd.
- The vehicle is listed for sale elsewhere. We reserve the right to end the auction at anytime. We will be glad to discuss details of a "pre-auction" purchase (925) 846 1451.
- Inspections of vehicles are encouraged but (by appointment only) must be completed within 24 hours of the end of the auction.
- Out of state buyers are responsible for the high bid and any shipping costs. California buyers are subject to the appropriate sales tax, MV transfer, nd fees associated with the purchase of any used vehicle sale in the state of California.
- To avoid shipping the title with the car to our out of state buyers, e mail the title via Priority Mail.
- While shipping and transportation costs (if appropriate) are the responsibility of the winning bidder, e can assist with locating a suitable transporter. We regularly ship cars all over the USA/World, nd can often times locate very competitive rates for transporting vehicles door to door, o a local terminal, nclosed, pen, tc. Please call us for specific information/rates to your location.
- We meet some great people and fellow enthusiasts, nd only rarely do we have problems with non-paying bidders. Please be certain that you are prepared to buy the car if you bid, r call us at 925-846-1451 before the end of the auction if we can answer any questions. If you have a "sunglass" rating or fewer than 10 feedback ratings on eBay, lease call us before you bid so that we can discuss the bidding process, tc. If we do not hear from you, e reserve the right to delete your bid.
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd. On Aug-13-15 at 11:53:09 PDT, eller added the following information:
Sellers: Get your own map today. Click here now. Simple."