1988 Mercedes 560 SEC -- Show-Winner with Euro and Lorinser Add-ons
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercedes-Benz
- Model: 500-Series
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: 560SEC
- Year: 1988
- Mileage: 76,838
- VIN: wdbca45d7ja389968
- Color: Blue
- Engine size: 5.6L M117
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Windows, Power Seats
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Options: CD Player, Leather Seats, Sunroof
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1988 Mercedes-Benz 500-Series
RELISTED DUE TO NON-PAYMENT
1988 Mercedes 560SEC – Show-winner with Euro and Lorinser Add-ons
OVERVIEW AND HISTORY
It is with some regret that I am selling my fully-documented, award-winning, low-mileage 1988 560 SEC. Sold new by Palmer Import Motors in Long Beach, CA, this beautiful 904 Midnight Blue on 274 Java coupe has never left the state of California.
I purchased the car in 2009 with 66,000 miles on it and have put a little over 10,000 miles on it since. I drive it regularly for business and pleasure and when not driven it is stored in a climate-controlled underground garage. I have the complete set of documents, books and records since new, down to the original salesman’s business card.
The car runs, drives and looks beautiful. When I bought the car, it was equipped with stock U.S. spec equipment, which has since been upgraded with hard-to-find OEM Euro-Spec performance and cosmetic upgrades.
- For performance, I added OEM MB Tri-Y Headers and a custom exhaust system, while keeping the stock catalytic converter and all CA-mandated equipment. (These headers are reported to increase output by about 25HP.)
- For appearance, I ditched the giant U.S. spec bumpers for the correct and much sleeker gen2 OEM European bumpers. (Some of you know how hard, if not impossible, these are to find). I also added OEM Euro headlights and blinkers and deleted the wipers
- Additional modifications from stock are all from well-known Mercedes tuner Lorinser. I added staggered 16x8/9, 3 piece BBS-RT for Lorinser wheels with color-matched centers, a leather Lorinser steering wheel and a Lorinser burlwood shift knob
- I showed the car with these modifications at the Legends of The Autobahn in Monterey and it took 1st prize in its class
I have spared no expense on this coupe. Below is a complete rundown on its condition and some additional information –
The stock-US-spec M117 5.6L V8 with upgraded exhaust provides plenty of torque and HP and just a subtle note of performance. Road manners are top notch, as are handling and braking, and the car is comfortable whether tooling through L.A. traffic or cruising on the open highway.
Under my ownership, maintenance has been performed at only the top local Independent Mechanics, using only the best or OE parts. I have a 3–ring binder FULL of receipts for parts and services -- this is a complete service history since new.
The car is mechanically excellent, the engine starts without hesitation, idles smoothly as it should at 550RPM and pulls strongly through the gears. Speaking of gears, the timing chain, guides and rails were done at approximately 70,000 miles.
The car performs and handles very well -- as would be expected since the entire front end was also rebuilt less than 7,500 miles ago. The car rides on performance BF Goodrich G-Force Sport tires, which like the front end have less than 7,500 miles on them. The front and rear shocks and springs are also new, and are OEM replacements (with the lowest spring pads to give a slightly aggressive stance… One additional note on the suspension – the prior owner removed the SLS.)
All electrical, lights and gauges function as they should, including the power sunroof which functions flawlessly. In addition, both the seat belt presenters work every time. In addition the heat blows hot and the A/C blows ice cold. The original Becker radio was removed by the prior owner in favor of a new Alpine AM/FM/CD unit which works well and includes Sirius XM functionality. The only issues I’m aware of are the idiot light for the SRS and light bulb stay on. That’s it.
If you look closely at the photos of the immaculate engine bay, you’ll notice a number of new / recently replaced parts including the nice white expansion tank, but more importantly the new battery, new power steering lines and new fuel lines. Also new are the power steering pump, drive shaft, flex disc, hood pad, valve cover gaskets, and other small / misc items
The exterior of this car is in excellent condition.
- The 904 Midnight Blue paint, which is a very high-quality respray, is marred only by very minor imperfections (none of which are significant enough to detract from the car’s overall appeal or even appear in the pictures)
- The body is in great condition, entirely straight and retaining factory consistent gaps and panel fits
- All of the glass, rubber and chrome is in fantastic shape, as are the bumpers and lower body trim. (The rear glass still retains the factory radio anti-theft stickers!)
- The 3 piece BBS-RT / Lorinser wheels are near flawless, with ZERO curbing.
The 274 Java interior of this car is in great shape, was never smoked in, and shows none of the issues that can plague these w126 coupes.
- All of the wood was professionally refinished by Madera Concepts in 2011 and still looks like new
- The dash pad is perfect and free of cracks. It has never seen any Armor-all or silicone
- The restored instrument cluster is mint, with bright orange needles that show zero fading
- The headliner was replaced and does not droop or sag. C-pillars are excellent and do not droop or rattle
- The door panels are clean, with nice carpet and minimal wear
- The driver seat shows slight wear (see pic), the rest of the seats are very nice. Carpets are similar, with driver showing minimal wear
- Parcel shelf was recovered and is excellent
Those who really know these cars will notice that the seats and door cards are from a late Gen2 (‘89-91) model. I replaced the ’88 stuff with the later edition equipment, well, because it is just nicer and better quality.
I am a collector and an enthusiast and not a dealer. I am a long-time eBayer with 100% feedback. I’ve bought and sold cars happily and successfully here on eBay (including the sale of a 1983 500SEC AMG). Please check my feedback and bid with confidence.
I have tried to describe this car as accurately as possible, and I've included as many pictures as I can. I've posted photos in different types of light so you can see how the 904 Midnight Blue changes color from shade to sun. If you have questions please don’t hesitate to ask. The car is for sale locally and on enthusiast forums so I reserve the right to end the auction early. In case you want to know, the only reason I am selling the car is to fund a 1989 AMG SEC Widebody project.
You can message me here or call/text 818-749-7764