Frame Up Restored Lotus Elan S-2 (1965)
- Make: Lotus
- Model: Elan
- SubModel: Series 2
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1965
- Mileage: 26,766
- VIN: CHN0264139
- Color: Yellow
- Engine size: 4 Cylinder DOHC
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1965 Lotus Elan
This exemplar has less than 200 miles of use since a frame up restoration which included:
• The frame received welded strengthening gussets per the Lotus racing Elan specifications before being sandblasted and hot dip galvanized. SS fasteners were used with Loctite wherever possible in the restoration.
• The engine went thru full rebuild with new pistons, balancing and cam timing. The engine received Sprint Spec Camshafts and new Weber carburetters, jetted and choked to Sprint standards (since converted to SE specs to make it more drivable in traffic). A 2" Stainless header connects to a custom SS exhaust system. New K&N air filters, electronic alternator, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, transmission and rear end seals.
• Suspension members were stripped and repainted before receiving new bushings, tie rod ends and other connectors. The car has new sport or rally springs with adjustable shocks for ride tuning. The drive train has the aftermarket CV joint kit replacing the rubber donuts.
• The renewed braking systems sports rebuilt master and calibers (with new SS corrosion free pistons) along with new brake and clutch lines and pads along with Teflon hoses.
• New carpeting and upholstery adorn the cockpit which retains its original walnut steering wheel and shifter knob, along with a new walnut veneer on the dashboard. The top and toneau are new.
• The rebuilt headlight system features new vacuum pods and vacuum control switch.
• The new wiring harness was installed with anticorrosion compound to prevent future problems.
• A new distributor with Sprint advance curve has petronix electronic ignition. The car retains a ford mechanical fuel pump augmented by a rear mounted electronic pump to counter traditional fuel starvation at high performance.
• This is one of the few Lotus Elans that still retain the original pin drive wheel system and original steel wheels.
The wonderful car demonstrates the genius of Colin Chapman in its design; the restored vehicle provides a true Lotus sports car experience with every effort made to minimize the historic maintenance issues with this iconic car.
Some of the future issues with the car that might be considered by the new owner are:
• The car received a factory rebuild kit to the water pump. Running the car with added electric fan and zero pressure radiator cap on such a large radiator has not produced any issues. Any future work might include changing to an aftermarket high performance water pump with removable cartridge.
• The car has a competition high pressure/high volume oil pump which requires that the rear rope seal bolts be kept tight. The new buyer may want to revert to the street oil pump which is a relatively simple side engine bolt on alteration.
• The car body received Kevlar strengthening at critical points with 3M epoxy followed by spraying with high build urethane primer before a final base coat/ clear coat. The finish was hand buffed to remove any orange peel. Nevertheless, the factory body is a thin light weight fiberglass. It has 2 short paint cracks near the front windshield. Future usage may induce others—welcome to the world of the light weight Lotus
This car is sold "As is" and "Where is" without any warranty, representation or promise of condition or performance; all statements herein are based on personal impression and do not constitute warranty or representation or any other basis for legal claims. Bidders are advised to inspect the vehicle before bidding as no adjustments or reductions of any successful bid price will be made for any problems, defects, or bad conditions.