1970 LAND ROVER SERIES LATE IIA 88 LIKE DEFENDER SAFARI I II III
- Condition: Used
- Make: Land Rover
- Model: 88
- SubModel: DELUXE HARDTOP
- Type: SUV
- Year: 1970
- Mileage: 105,590
- Color: LIMESTONE
- Engine size: 4 CYL 2.25L
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: 4WD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: 4-Wheel Drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1970 Land Rover 88 DELUXE HARDTOP1970 Land Rover 88 Series IIA, uffix G. Left Hand Drive. Body and frame in very good original condition, ot restored. No rust on bulkhead or frame; structurally sound. This is essentially a one-owner CALIFORNIA vehicle, rom 1970-2011. As any vintage Land Rover enthusiast can attest, hese are rare vehicles. After all, nly 873 were imported to North America in 1970 (NADA-North American Dollar Area).
The original owner of this 88 was a car dealer in San Francisco. He used it as his personal vehicle. (No evidence anyone sat in the back seats, ver. Nor was anything hauled around. Very nice original paint back there--no dents or gouges!) On Aug 3, 970 he made his way to the Rover dealer, enlys, td., 85 Euston Rd NW1 London, urchased it new, oured around a bit and then shipped it to California. After years and years of happy Rovering, e eventually passed away. His longtime neighbor, n ardent admirer of old Land Rovers, ought it from his estate. In the subsequent two years, ith other projects in play, e eventually ran out of garage space, nd sold it to me.
The Series IIA is considered by many the most hardy Series model constructed. This is called a late IIA, uilt between 1968-1971. It is also the type of classic Land Rover that features strongly in the general public's perception of the Land Rover, rom its many appearances in popular films and television documentaries set in Africa throughout the 1960s. The Late Series IIA's also saw Land-Rover beginning to limit what was available in the U.S. The U.K. had all kinds of versions including a 1 ton 109 Pick-Up, ut here in the U.S., e were only shipped one basic model: An 88, ith a full hardtop, liding window roof sides, rear door, 4 cylinder gas engine, nd a small choice of colors. Thankfully, he little Rover for auction here comes with these expensive options, s listed on its Leyland Motor Sales invoice:
· Flyscreens $4.00
· Sun Visors $3.00
· Spare Wheel Carrier $5.00
· Fuel Filler Lock $2.00
· Mud Flaps $10.00
Righto! With these in place you are now ready for adventure! This truck is a throwback to the days when off-road meant you needed a durable, o anywhere, nd do anything, ow maintenance vehicle. This one is a daily driver.
- Essentially one owner since new. 1970-2011
- Every receipt catalogued in order, y date, ince new. Car dealers keep meticulous records! We think alike.
- Original Land Rover English Export Literature Pack No. 606151
- Overhaul Manuals
- Rebuilt Engine about 5,500mi ago by previous owner at local machine shop
- Tune –Up Aug 2015 (Spark plugs, oints, nd Condensor)
- New Dekka Battery in 2014
- Fairly quiet on the road, specially as far as Rovers go.
- It’s happiest and will go all day long at 55-60mph.
- Oil changed every 500-800 miles with Lucas ZDDP Additive for additional protection
- Serviced Fluids—Axle Differentials, ransmission, ransfer Case, adiator
- New Clutch Disk, ressure Plate, nd Throw-Out Bearing (when engine rebuilt)
- 4 Speed Manual Transmission shifts correctly (Syncros are in 3rd and 4th gears)
- Parking Brake Correctly Adjusted & Works Very Well. Holds on Steep Hills
- Fairey Overdrive installed
- New Radiator (replaced when engine rebuilt)
- New Stainless Steel Exhaust with Stainless Steel MagnaFlow Muffler
- New Leaf Springs, and Rover Manufacture, K-Made
- New Axle U-Bolts
- New Shock Absorbers (4)
- New Tires (6) (Toyo 30 x 9.5 X 15) On the original 15” rims.
- New BestTop Tire Covers (2)
- New Free-Wheeling Hubs
- New Dual Master Cylinder, ervo-Type
- New Lucas-Girling Wheel Cylinders (4)
- New Brake Shoes on all 4 wheels
- New Brake Shoe Springs
- New Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Castrol LMA DOT 4 Brake Fluid in brake and clutch lines
- Recent Clutch Cylinder Replacement
- New Pedal Pads on all three pedals
- New “Series” Floor Mats
- New Rear Floor Mat, eavy type. Less Road Noise.
- Nice Original Gauges, lear and Unscratched
- All Bulbs in Dash renewed
- Ash Tray in Good Condition
- Heater Works Well
- New Pangolin 4X4 receiver style hitch, ith heavy duty backing plate
- New 4-Flat Wiring Connection installed to tow USA trailers
- New Series III Door Locks (3) with extra keys
- New Ignition Key Mechanism
- New Rear Door Interior Panel and Repainted Grab Bar
- Original Britax Seat Belts
- Original Tool Roll and Tools (may not be complete)
- Original Jack
- Original Jack Cranks
- Clear CALIFORNIA Title
- Bill of Sale
· Would prefer local pick-up but will ship if you make the arrangements and pay the carrier in full. Happy bidding!
(4) New Brake Drums, urned at machine shop for perfect roundness.