1981 Jeep CJ-5
Price: US $6,000.00 Item location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Jeep
- Model: CJ
- Type: SUV
- Trim: Base
- Year: 1981
- Mileage: 69,502
- VIN: 1JCCM85E1BT025767
- Engine size: 4.2L Inline six
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: 4wd
- Vehicle Title: Rebuilt, Rebuildable & Reconstructed Want to buy? Contact seller!
1981 Jeep CJIt pains me to put up this ad, ut here it goes. I have accumulated too many vehicles and unfortunately I must sell my beloved 1981 Jeep CJ-5 with 69,502 miles on the odometer.It hasthe 4.2L inline six engine, -176 four speed transmission and Dana 300 transfer case.The color is “Sgt Rock Metallic” green designed by Stacey David for his Sgt Rock M-37 project. It has been my dream for many years to own a CJ-5, ut I recently acquired another one that belonged to a deceased family member, o I have decided to pass this vehicle on to another enthusiast.
I purchased this jeep while living in New Mexico from a local Jeep enthusiast who had purchased it form the original owner in Arizona. This vehicle is titled and registered in Colorado. Since purchasing in 2007, have invested several thousand dollars fixing the usual issues and refreshing the body. I love this Jeep and did my best to keep it looking like it could have come from the factory this way. Here is a breakdown of the things that were replaced/upgraded after I purchased:
Front Brakes andAxle:
- Replaced pads and rotors
- Replaced wheel studs
- Repacked front bearings
Rear Brakes andAxle:
- Replaced OEM brake drums with disk brakes
- Replaced two pieceaxleshaft with one piece unit
- Replaced wheel bearings andaxleseals
- Replaced emergency brake cables
- Recent engine oil change
- Recent transmission and transfer case fluid change
- Newer cap/rotor/plug wires/plugs
- Replumbed vacuum system
- Rebuilt carburetor
- New battery
- Flushed radiator with new coolant
- New fuel tank and skid plate
- Rhino Lined inside of tub
- Rockhard bolt in front roll cage
- New paint
- New tail lights
- New hood hardware
- New fender flares
- New wiper blades and arms
- Bestop Tigertop and installation hardware ready for installation
- Installed a set of original wagon wheels
This Jeep starts, uns, hifts, nd drives fantastic with all the work that has been completed. It has been kept in a garage since I purchased it. I had it refurbished and painted by Jeeps R Us in Laguna Beach, A back in 2013/2014. I have the paperwork from work that was done including receipts for parts I installed myself. I will supply this paper with the sale.
With any vehicle this age that is a driver, here are bound to be a few things wrong. This is not a trailered show car or full body off restoration. I will try to be as honest as possible with things that bug me, ecause I am a bit obsessive with my cars. Here it goes:
- There is a small rip in the front driver’s seat (see the picture)
- The engine was not pulled before painting, o the color under to the hood does not match the exterior
- The 4wd indicator light does not come on when the transfer case is shifted into 4wd.
- The gas gauges is not working. I think that it is a grounding issue since the sender was replaced when the gas tank was replaced.
- There is a small leak on the exhaust flange.
- The tires are old and will need to be replaced soon.
- There is a small amount of rust on the rear cross member from the original owner’s welded on trailer hitch (see the pictures). The hitch had to be cut off when the gas tank was replaced and we did our best to grind it smooth.
- The title is a rebuilt from salvage title. That title was issued because the New Mexico title I received when I purchased it was a salvage title. Based on my research at the time of purchase, he New Mexico title was a salvage title because the original owner had lost the original title and the mileage could not be verified. The person I bought it from was ok with the salvage title because he planned on parting it out before he sold it to me. There is not indication or records of any accidents.
I'm happy to answer questions for any prospective buyers. Please contact me (303-601-1822) for more information or to arrange a test drive in Colorado Springs, O. Vehicle is also for sale locally.