1966 JEEP CJ5 V6 Engine–SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA VEHICLE
- Condition: Used
- Make: Jeep
- Model: CJ
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1966
- Color: Gold
- Engine size: 225
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: 4WD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: 4-Wheel Drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1966 Jeep CJ
Original condition with key safety, reliability, comfort and drivability upgrades.
In 1965, Kaiser improved the CJ5 with the Buick V6 Dauntless engine which increased the horsepower significantly over the previous four-cylinder engines. This engine is powerful, straight-forward and has none of the emissions-related components of the 1970s and 80s-era Jeeps. It is also CA smog-exempt due to its age. This is a vintage Jeep in approximately 90% stock condition with the remaining 10% comprising upgrades related to safety, reliability, comfort and drivability. It has the original engine, three-speed transmission and two-speed transfer case.
VEHICLE HISTORY: This vehicle has been adult-owned and has spent all of its life in Southern California. I purchased it in 2001 from the original owner. An extensive mechanical and body restoration was performed in 2004-2006. This included replacing 100% of all rubber components on engine and body. I have a complete file with all receipts and service records dating back to 1984.
MAJOR MECHANICAL WORK (Pre-2001)
· Engine overhauled
· New full synchro T-14 transmission
· Power steering conversion
· Front disk brake and 10-in rear drum brake conversion plus PS fluid reservoir
MAJOR MECHANICAL WORK (2004-2006)
· Carburetor overhauled
· Transmission overhauled
· New clutch
· Transfer case overhauled
· New wheel bearings
· New oil seals front and rear
· New headers with dual exhaust
· All new rubber hoses and belts
· Steering overhauled with new tie-rod ends and boots
· New mechanical fuel pump
MAJOR BODY & SUSPENSION WORK (2004-2006)
· Front windshield overhauled with new gaskets
· 1/2-inch body lift with polyurethane bushings
· Polyurethane spring bushings and new bolts
· New U-bolts
· New shock absorbers
· Heavy-duty shackles
· Stainless steel screws and bolts where visible
· Sprayed-in bedliner
· Paint job
· New heating system (core & blower)
· Rear diamond plate corner guards
· Shoulder seat belt upgrade
RECENT WORK (2012-2015)
· New speedometer cluster & gages
· New fuel and temperature sending units
· New starter
· New U-joints both drivelines
· Cooling system overhauled (new water pump, heavy-duty 3-row radiator, thermostat, 5-year coolant)
· Fresh engine oil & filter change
· Spare tire and gas can carrier (includes two non-leaking Jerry cans and a flexible spout)
· Roll bar with padding and two nylon handles
· Bucket seats
· Upgraded heavy-duty plastic glove box
· Per-Lux driving/fog lights
· Ahooga horn
· Military pintle hitch
· 15 x 10 steel wheels
· UHF/VHF stainless steel whip antenna (ham radio not included, but negotiable)
· Roll bar
· Saddle bags for roll bar
· Fire extinguisher
· Four vintage off-road participant stickers (1966-1968)
· Accel spark plug wires
· Bosch platinum spark plugs
· Locking center console with leather padding
· Complete BesTop soft top and doors in good condition (no tears and good vinyl windows)
· Bikini top (no tears)
· Front tow bar (for 2" ball)
· Magnetic tow light kit
· Factory rear hitch bar
· Factory repair manual
· Original oil bath air cleaner
The body is straight with no significant dents or scratches. The tires are in excellent condition and are 30-inch BFG MTs with only about 1,000 miles plus a full-size new spare. There is some localized rust under the floorboard (see photos). The frame is rust-free.
Everything works! The engine is solid, starts easily, runs and idles smoothly, and gives good low-end torque. The transmission and transfer case shift easily and smoothly. The manual hubs are in good condition and engage smoothly. The vehicle is as leak-free as you can expect from a Jeep. There are very minor wetting of the transfer case and the timing cover. Engine oil changes were made every 1,500 to 2,500 miles.
Since the vehicle has had several speedometers, the actual mileage is unknown. I've driven it about 12,000 miles since 2001.
Engine: Buick V6 225 cid
Transmission: T14 3-speed
Transfer Case: Model18
Differentials: D44 limited slip (rear), D27 front - 3.73 ratio
Brakes: Disc-front, drum-rear
Last but not least, I do not recommend this vehicle for an inexperienced driver. Early Jeeps have a very short wheel base, soft springs and did not come with anti-sway bars. These conditions make them unforgiving at high speeds. However, if used for their intended purpose and driven accordingly, they are fun, safe, reliable and very capable off-road vehicles.
Bid with confidence! Buying a vehicle sight-unseen can be risky. CQBIGD offers the following guarantee: If the buyer is not satisfied with the vehicle upon personal inspection at pickup, the seller agrees to refund the buyer’ entire deposit.
TERMS OF SALE:
The title is clean and clear and in the seller's possession.
Please do not ask for the reserve price. The reserve is reasonable for a vehicle of this caliber. Happy bidding.
This auction may end early and at any time. A $1,000 deposit is required within 48 hours from end of auction and full payment is to be made within7 days from end of auction. Payment is to be made by cash in person, PayPal, or bank to bank wire transfer.
The buyer is responsible for picking up the vehicle, or to arrange for, and have vehicle picked up within 10 days from end of auction unless other arrangements are made in advance.
This vehicle is sold “AS IS” and without a warranty.