Exceptionally clean, original1985 Jaguar XJ-S
- Condition: Used
- Make: Jaguar
- Model: XJS
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: Coupe
- Year: 1985
- Mileage: 63,634
- VIN: SAJNV5844FC121800
- Color: Sebring Red
- Engine size: 5.3 liter V-12
- Number of cylinders: 12
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Biscuit
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: CD Player, Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1985 Jaguar XJS Coupe
I’m reluctantly selling the very clean and original 1985 Jaguar XJ-S that I’ve owned for the last 14 years because I’ve lost garage space and don’t want to keep it outside. I’m the second owner. This car has been garaged, not smoked in, and meticulously maintained since new, first by the Jaguar dealer, then by a British car specialist, and finally by a Jaguar enthusiast (me). Since this is the HE (High Efficiency) model, it has better gas mileage and drivability than earlier models and is less complex than later models. This car was produced during a period of very high demand for XJ-S’s, and the original owner actually paid $1400 OVER invoice, but it made it out of the dealer’s showroom just as Jaguar built it, without the dealer add-ons (side rub bars, dealer-installed sunroof, etc.) that ended up on many of the cars of this vintage. It features:
· Original Sebring Red paint with no rust or accident damage
· Original 5.3 liter aluminum V-12 engine that has required nothing but routine maintenance for 32 years/63,000 miles
· Original automatic transmission, also trouble-free
· Original Biscuit leather that remains supple with no cracking or tears
· Original Wood in excellent condition
· Original Carpets which have been protected since new
· Headliner was replaced with the correct broadcloth several years ago when the foam backing began to fail
· Original Monroney sticker
· Original (optional) Jaguar tool kit, missing the pliers and screwdriver, but with the appropriate mix of metric and standard wrenches
· Original owner’s manuals
· Original fog light covers
· A/C, heat, cruise control, lights, wipers, gauges, power windows, power door locks that all function as they should
· The car runs, drives, and stops as an XJ-S should
· Receipts and maintenance records since new
There are two modifications, both easily reversible:
· Sometime shortly after buying the car, the original owner installed the BBS wheels it’s currently wearing. I liked the look, so I kept them, but the original starfish wheels, which have been kept in dry storage and are in very good condition (see pic), come with the car. The spare is mounted on an original wheel.
· After I bought the car I replaced the radio/cassette player with the current Pioneer radio/aux/CD player. The original unit, which was working fine when I removed it, is included with the car, along with the blanking plate and carrying case for the detachable radio face. Because I slightly enlarged the cut-out in the dash to accommodate the new unit, I’m including an unmodified panel in case the old radio is re-installed.
There are two flaws you should be aware of:
· At one point in the past a ham-fisted state inspection mechanic tried to lift the front end of the car using the standing seams on the sills instead of the correct jacking points, bending the seams but not distorting the sills (see pic).
· Both the sills and the front of the bonnet have some stone chips, but none of the areas show any rust (see pic).
If you’re looking for a clean, well-maintained original XJ-S, I don’t think you’ll find a better one. I’ve owned several V-12 XJ-S’s and XJ’s, and this has been the best of them by far. If you have any questions or need pictures of anything else feel free to contact me through E-bay or call me at 717-872-6687.
I’ll expect a $500 deposit within 2 days of the end of the auction and the balance in the form of cash, a cashier’s check, or personal check (once cleared) before the car is released. If you intend to drive the car home, I will be happy to pick you up at either the Harrisburg or Lancaster Airport. If you elect to ship the car, I will work with the shipper to facilitate pickup.