E-type History: Often called the most beautiful car ever made by the likes of Enzo Ferrari and various automotive magazines, the Jaguar E-type is a British sports car that was manufactured between 1961 and 1975. Its combination of beauty, high performance, and competitive pricing established the marque as an icon of 1960’s motoring.
At a time when most cars had drum brakes, live rear axles, and mediocre performance, the E-Type sprang on the scene with 150 mph and a sub-7 second 0–60 time, monocoque construction, disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, independent front and rear suspension, and unrivaled looks. The E-Type was based on Jaguar's D-Type racing car which had won the 24 Hours of Le Mans three consecutive years (1955–1957) and, as such, it employed the racing design of a body tub attached to a tubular framework, with the engine bolted directly to the framework.
The E-Type was initially designed and shown to the public as a rear-wheel drive grand tourer in two-seater coupe form and as a two-seater convertible. Later model updates of the E-Type were officially designated "Series II" and "Series III", and over time the earlier cars have come to be referred to as "Series I."
The E-Type Series III was introduced in 1971, with a new 5.3L V12 engine, upgraded brakes and standard power steering. Optionally an automatic transmission, wire wheels and air conditioning were available. The brand new V12 engine was originally developed for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The short wheelbase FHC body style was discontinued and the V12 was available only as a convertible and 2+2 coupé. The Series III is easily identifiable by the large cross-slatted front grille, flared wheel arches, wider tires, four exhaust tips and a badge on the rear that proclaims it to be a V12.
Completed by Jaguar in June of 1972, this E-Type Series III Roadster is equipped with left hand drive and a manual transmission. Finished in beautiful primrose yellow, this good condition Jaguar is believed to have covered just under 3,000 miles since the engine restoration. The odometer currently displays 61,228 miles.
Based on records, The Jaguar's original first owner was US Air Force veteran Lt. Col. Walter H. Albrecht. The Jaguar's first owner is believed to have owned the car until 2006, when its most recent previous caretaker purchased the car.
The yellow exterior has been refinished at some stage, presumably in the 2000’s, and presents today in good condition. The interior appears original, with neatly worn-in seats and most of the factory trim still in good shape. The engine has also been restored at some stage, presumably also in the 2000’s, with pictures showing the engine out rebuild and chassis repaint.
Serious Inquiries Only