First Year Fox Body Cobra Mustang-3 door Fastback - Original Survivor-2.3l Turbo
Price: US $9,500.00 Item location: Huntsville, Utah, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ford
- Model: Mustang
- SubModel: TRX
- Type: Hatchback
- Trim: Cobra
- Year: 1979
- Mileage: 76063
- VIN: 9R03W107216
- Color: Black
- Engine size: 2.3 Turbo
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Power options: Air Conditioning
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: Cassette Player
- Vehicle Title: Clean Want to buy? Contact seller!
1979 Ford Mustang CobraThanks for looking. Bit of a Unicorn for all the Mustang fans out there.
This is a 1979 Cobra Mustang with the 2.3l Turbo motor, TRX Package and the Ghia (luxury) package. It was a special order car to get the lux interior on the Cobra edition.I am not the original owner, but found it for sale locally and couldn't resist.
It does have a Marti Report that will come with it (email for a pdf version). It is 1 of 122 produced in 1979.
This is the first year of the fox body cars and a largely unmodified survivor.Original Paint in good condition, original interior (even down to the cassette player)NO RUST, really, anywhere. Underneath is super clean and intact!All Cobras in 1979 had the TRX package, the TRX package was special in the fact that it came with specially tuned shocks/springs and some massive front and rear sway bars. These are all still in place on the car.The TRX original wheels are in excellent condition with their original (very cracked but holding air) TRX tires. These are included with the sale.Basically its an unmolested car that somehow managed about 1900 miles a year.Interior is in great shape and it has the "lux" interior. Somewhere the front seats were swapped out. Shows a fancy leather steering wheel, and a rear leather seat. Plush leather door inserts as well.There is a full run down on the 1979 Mustangs here:https://www.themotoringenthusiastjournal.com/fun_stuff/ford_mustang_1979_1980_1981_1982_50_years.htm
It does have a few issues, and Ive tried to be meticulous so you know what you are getting:
- Heater core is bypassed, assumed bad heater core.
- Original Carb and turbo have been replaced. (comes with original carb/turbo and manifold)
- A/C has been removed, but is complete and comes with the car.
- Dash is cracked
- Temp gauge is not functional
- Tach is not functional
- There is a vacuum leak in the brake system.
- One of the Cobra emblems in the drivers door is missing.
- Drivers rear brake light is broken (have not been able to find an oem replacement)
- Front and rear bumpers need to be stripped and repainted, the paint is cracked from age and flex.
- Creasing in the passenger door near the front hinge.
- Headliner was sagging and has been removed along with the visors. Visors were saved and will come with the car.
The car runs and drives fine, it is not a racehorse by any means, but will get up to 85 without too much problem. You could likely drive this most anywhere, but I would recommend a trailer or shipping service.
Tires and wheels that are on the car are not original. However the original TRX wheels and tires will come with the sale. They are in excellent condition
The car will come with the following:
- Set of 4 original TRX wheels.
- New Manifold, Carb and Garrett Turbo
- Box of original parts (AC system, visors and a variety of other bits)
- Original Marti Report
- Original Owners Manual
- Original Shop Manual