1964 Ford Mustang Convertible - Indy Pace Car Replica - Original California Car
- Make: Ford
- Model: Mustang
- SubModel: Convertible
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Convertible - Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Replica
- Year: 1964
- Mileage: 76747
- VIN: 5F08C282055
- Color: White
- Engine size: 289 V8
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: White with Blue & Red accents
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1964 Ford Mustang Convertible - Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Replica
1964 Ford Mustang Convertible
Indy Pace Car Replica
**Original California Car**
Ford officially debuted the Mustang in April 1964 with huge success and the following month Ford chose their NEW Mustang to replace the Fairlane as the Official Pace Car of the 1964 Indianapolis 500. Ford specially prepared two convertibles to pace the race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway plus another 35 Mustang convertibles were used for the Festival Parade.
Both pace cars had modified V8 engines and suspension plus they each had two flag stanchions in the back, three grab handles (two beside the rear seat and one atop the windshield), Motorola two-way radio and a white interior that was altered by adding a blue a dash cover and blue carpet plus red armrests on the doors and red seat belts. (However, the festival cars werenâ€™t modified and they came with a standard red, white or blue interior.)Only one of the two original pace cars is known to still exist today with an estimated value of close to $1,000,000.
Additionally, Ford later in 1964 created around 180-200 coupe replicas that were won by different Ford dealers and shipped to their dealerships around the country.
The Mustang convertible in the listing, was professionally modified as a pace car years ago and it is an accurate representation of the two Mustangs convertibles that were specially prepared to pace the race at Indy in May of 1964. (For comparison, we have included in our listing one vintage photo of an original Pace Car on the track at Indy in 1964.) The Mustang that we are offering is equipped as follows-
- Complete exterior Pace Car graphics per Original
- White interior with blue dash cover, blue carpet, red front armrests, red seat belts (like the original 2 Pace Cars)
- Front and rear grab bars (like the original 2 Pace Cars)
- Dual rear flag stanchions (removable) with checkered flags (like the original 2 Pace Cars)
- Motorola two-way radio (like the original 2 Pace Cars)
- Early style Monte Carlo bar (like the original 2 Pace Cars)
- Pace car license frames
- Front Indianapolis Raceway license plate insert (like the original 2 Pace Cars)
- Indianapolis Raceway decals (air cleaner, dash, vent windows, underside of the hood)
- Indianapolis Raceway key chain
- 289 V8
- Dual exhaust
- Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission on the floor
- Bucket seats
- Power steering
- Spinner style hubcaps (original)
- Whitewall tires
- Dual exterior mirrors
- Day/night interior mirror
- AM radio (Original and still works)
- Spare tire with jack and jack handle/lug wrench
- Trunk mat with spare tire cover
- Blue pony floor mats
- Convertible top boot
- Ownerâ€™s manual
This Mustang is currently titled/registered as a 1964 model in AZ as of December 2018. Copy of the previous California Title verifies that this Mustang is an original California car since first registered in 1964 as a 1964 model. This cool Mustang will make a great addition to any auto collection and it is the ultimate Parade ready convertible. It truly is a head turner!
The car was recently gone through/serviced and it runs and drives very well. The pictures of this car were taken for the listing. Until recently, the car has been in storage for quite some time only being taken out and driven for parades and shows.
Call (949)441-2881 for additional information about this great car or to set a time to inspect it in the Newport Beach area of Southern California. The buyer is responsible for picking the car up in Southern California or for shipping. We can assist the buyer in the shipping process if needed.