1989 Ford Mustang GT Hatchback 2-Door 5.0L
- Make: Ford
- Model: Mustang
- SubModel: GT
- Type: Hatchback
- Trim: GT Hatchback 2-Door
- Year: 1989
- Mileage: 81,683
- VIN: 1FABP42E1KF137930
- Color: Silver
- Engine size: 5.0L 302Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Gray
- Options: CD Player
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1989 Ford Mustang GTI am the original owner of this car. Well technically my parents were the original owners. They bought this car for me in 1989 when I was in college (yes lucky me) and then later transferred the title to me in the mid 90's. I kept the original window sticker (see pics). It has the original engine with -very- low mileage for its age (odometer reads 81683 miles) due to the fact that it was not driven regularly as a primary car for many years. History... I drove this in car (in Texas) regularly for about 4 years from 89-93. I then moved to NYC where I didn't need a car so it sat in my parents carport for about 6 years with only occasional driving by my Dad to keep in running and by me when I visited. I moved to SF in 1999 and took the car with me. However in SF I rarely needed a car (once a week at most) so it mostly sat in a driveway. It stayed with me in Cali for about 4 years after which I moved back to Austin TX. In Austin I drove it only as my second "fun" car from about 2003 to about 2012 but again only occasionally so I still put very few miles on it. From 2012 until now I've just kept it mostly out of sentimental attachment but I now only drive it around the block every once in a while to keep the motor running. As much as I have loved this car... it's time to let it go. ENGINE: So as I said the low mileage 5.0 engine is original and is running well. Many of the components were replaced at various times including the radiator alternator power steering pump as well as things like the clutch shocks struts etc... Some parts are older than others but components are currently in working order. However AC is not currently cooling properly - see note at the bottom regarding AC. See under the hood image for reference or I will provide YouTube link of engine running upon request. INTERIOR: The interior is -very- clean given its age. I am pretty particular when it comes to keeping things neat and clean so I took good care of it. Both the seat material and carpets are in very good clean condition. I never smoked or allowed smoking in my car. Over time various Ford plastic parts began to fade and crack. So in 2008 I decided to give it a face lift so I spent some $ upgrading the interior plastic with aluminum milled replacements. This includes things like the shifter shifter ring AC knobs door panel covers turn signal wheel tilt door trim threshold etc... Where I couldn't get cool aluminum parts I simply replaced the old worn plastic with new ones. Again see pics for details.NOTE: Although the interior is in very good shape it is not perfect. There is of course expected wear given that it's a 26 year old car. Some of the plastic parts in particular (e.g. center console) do show some aging. With that said it is in much better shape than most of the late 80's mustangs that you'll see listed elsewhere. I've added lots of pictures but if you need to see something specific that isn't shown let me know. EXTERIOR: The exterior was originally black but in 2008 I had it repainted to the silver / platinum that you see in the pics. I also touched up and/or replaced some of the black trim. The silver made a big difference with the heat in the Texas summer plus it just looks cool. The paint is in very good shape overall as you can see from the pics but it is not perfect. There are a few imperfections on the hood and roof (when you look up close) but they are pretty small. There is some minor peeling in areas that are not typically visible (e.g. hidden between the tail lights and bumper). Otherwise there are only a few small scuffs / scratches here and there but nothing major. In a few small spots I have manually touched up scratches/scuffs with touch-up paint. The head light fog light and tail light covers were all replaced in 2008 head and fog lights match original style but tail lights are more unique (see pics). Original wheels are in good condition. There is no existing body damage in terms of dents. There were a couple of very minor fender benders over the years. The full front panel has been replaced due to some cracking and a small dent in the very front of the hood was fixed. Most of the work was done in 2008 at the same time I had the car repainted. A dent on the rear right fender was fixed in the 90's. There was a small amount of hail damage on the hood and roof in the mid 2000's but that was repaired very easily with no visible dings remaining. Other than a couple of minor incidents this car has never been in any sort of major collision... no damage to the frame or anything like that. I've added lots of pictures of the exterior from just about every angle but if you need to see something specific or something more up close that isn't shown in the current pics let me know. KNOWN ISSUES: Some things you should know (I updated a few of these for more clarity)
- The AC system was converted to R134a a few years ago. It was working fine up until recently. The blower is working properly however a couple of months ago I noticed that the compressor will not stay on. The compressor comes on and works for a bit but then will stop once the PSI gets up to a certain point. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is but a friend of mine suggested that it is most likely a problem with a failing Pressure Sensor. However replacing it requires draining the system so I have not attempted to fix it. There is no guarantee that the Pressure Sensor is the problem that is just a hunch. It would need to be checked out by professional to be sure.
- The tires are on the older side (10+ years) but they are in decent shape with low mileage. The tread is actually fine but there is some thin cracking on the edges and the walls.
- The actuators for the power locks froze up. I have taken them out to prevent the locks from sticking. So locks work fine but no power locks currently. The actuators themselves are cheap and fairly easy to replace.
- The black trim around the rear side windows is visibly worn when seen up close. It's still perfectly functional but has some wear and pock marks.
- As mentioned above there are a few small imperfections in the silver paint primarily on the roof and hood that appeared over time. They don't show up in the pics and you typically won't notice them unless you examine it closely. It's pretty minor overall but want to mention it for full disclosure.
- There is small area on the center console (under the parking break) where the plastic appears to have melted a bit. Not sure what caused it. It's only noticeable up close and never really bothered me but I figured I should mention it.
- The hydraulic lifters for the hatch stopped working. They are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
- The Sony CD player works but the LED display flickers on and off.
NOTE: The registration and inspection for this car expired in 2012 and have not been renewed. It is of course totally drivable right out of the gate but will need be registered after purchased.
In response to a question about the current location... The car is located and available for pickup in central Austin TX.