1978 Ford Pinto 5.0L
Price: - Item location: Delaware, Ohio, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ford
- Model: Other
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: Pony
- Year: 1978
- Mileage: 999,999
- VIN: 8T10Y217238
- Color: Green
- Engine size: 302
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1978 Ford OtherThis is listed as-is, here-is.
This car has been swapped over to a 302 with a C4 transmission. The motor runs strong but the transmission will not go into gear. Open 7.5" rear end with 3.73 gears. Manual steering, ower brakes, anual windows and locks, nbsp;No A/C or heat. No radio. The interior is mostly stripped, ut the dash is still there. I also have the rear interior panels. The car also comes with a rear spoiler that was apparently on the car at some point, nd a beat up hood scoop.
I bought this over the summer for a project, ut ended up finding a different project instead. I had the body sold, ut shortly after removing just about everything from the car the deal fell through. While I had everything out I cleaned things up a little, nd replaced the entire starting system. I also replaced the shifter O-rings, ipstick O-ring, rans fluid and filter, nd replaced the speedo cable on the transmission. On the motor I changed the oil and filter, ut in new spark plugs, hanged the header gaskets and carb gaskets, nd changed the coolant. Before I pulled the motor and trans, he trans slipped some. Now that it's back in, t doesn't shift at all, think it may be the pump.
The trans casting numbers (DOOP) indicate it's out of a 1970 Fairlane or Torino, nd the engine (EOAF) out of a 1980 truck.
If you have any questions at all please contact me. I'd love for you to come take a look at it before you bid so you know exactly what you're buying.
- The paint is flaking. It appears the car was repainted without any prep, o the new paint is flaking off of the old paint. It is the correct color (7W - Medium Jade). It doesn't show up well, ut check the photos.
- Rust. The rockers have some rust in them, nd there's some surface rust here and there (see photos)
- Hole in the hood. The hood didn't have clearance for the air cleaner so the hood was cut and there was a hood scoop on it at some point. It was riveted in place and you can still see where the holes were patched.
- Needs new tires. The tires are old and dry rotted. The rear tires don't like to hold air for long.
- Vibration at higher speeds. It feels like it's those old worn out tires. New tires and a good balance should help fix that up.
- Mileage is unknown. Because the original speedometer didn't work for who knows how long, nd I replaced the speedometer with an aftermarket unit, he true miles are unknown and this is reflected on the title.
- The floors are patched. It looks like there must have been some rust in the floorboards. Both sides have been replaced. It looks like they used seam sealer and screws instead of welding it. They are plenty strong and rust free, ut they look ugly.
- There is some "interesting" engineering on this car. Everything seems solid, ut things are a little ugly and obviously done inexpensively. The engine swap and most other work was done 2 owners ago. The guy who I bought the car from personally knew the prior owner and said the prior owner was an engine mechanic, ut not much of an engineer. Like the roll bar for example. It's there, ut it's not welded well, nd I'm pretty certain it's exhaust pipe instead of actual roll bar tubing. Either way it wouldn't pass NHRA tech.
- Strong running 302. Small, ightweight car with a decent motor...
- Holley 4160 4bbl carb
- Holley fuel pump
- Fuel pressure regulator
- Mallory distributor
- New seals on the transmission
- Racing seats
- Simpson 5pt harness (expired a long time ago, ut still perfectly fine for street driving)
- RCI fuel cell
- Battery relocated to the trunk with properly working battery cutoff and Moroso battery box
- New battery a month ago
- New starter a month ago
- New 4/0 battery cable from the trunk to starter relay
- New starter relay
- New 2 gauge cable from starter relay to starter
- AVO Promaster rear suspension
- Weld front wheels and mag slot rear wheels.
- Includes a couple Pinto repair manuals
- Clear Ohio title, ut does reflect unknown mileage.
Buyer is responsible for pickup. I will not deliver or arrange for delivery. I will work with any shipping services you purchase and arrange.
Of course, o warranty or guarantee. You are buying this vehicle as is, here is. I've done my best to describe and photograph the car, ut unforeseen things happen. Again, would be more than happy to have you come take a look at it before bidding. If you would like any additional photos, r have any questions at all, lease contact me.