1963 R-Code Convertible Ford Galaxie 500XL Factory Hi-Po 427 Dual Quad 4-Speed
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ford
- Model: Galaxie
- SubModel: XL Convertible R-Code
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: XL Convertible Factory R-Code 427 Dual Quad 4speed
- Year: 1963
- Mileage: 70,776
- VIN: 3U69R176xxx
- Color: Medium Turquoise Metallic
- Engine size: R-Code 427 Dual 4-Barrel Carbs, missing
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: 4-Speed, missing
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Turquoise
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1963 Ford Galaxie XL Convertible Factory R-Code 427 Dual Quad 4speed
This 1963 Ford Galaxie XL R-code convertible is a very rare car and worthy of any level of restoration. There were not many R-code XL convertibles produced. It's one of the rarest 63 Fords ever built and the most sought after for a collector.
This is a Indiana/Michigan car that has rust issues and needs a total restoration. It does not have the drive train. I purchased this car out of Michigan with a Michigan title in 1999 with the intent of restoring it to factory correct show condition. It has been stored and buried in my heated garage for the past 18 years. (See photo). I have too many projects, no time for this one, and am running out of space to store it. I found some build sheets on the floor pan under the original carpet and sound deadener material after I purchased it. (See photo). It has a clear Washington title in my name and is listed in the 427 Galaxie Registry (427galaxieregistry.com). The odometer reads 70,776 but I don't know if it has gone around.
VIN and DATA PLATE INFO
VIN Number 3U69R176xxx:
U: Louisville, KY assembly plant
69: Galaxie 500XL 2-Door Convertible
R: 8-cyl 427 CI 8-barrel high perf
176xxx: consecutive unit number
Body, 76B: 2-Door 500XL Convertible
Color, D: Medium Turquoise Metallic (Ming Green)
Trim, 87: Light Turquoise D/L
Date, 19F: June 19, 1963 (build date)
DSO, 34: Indianapolis, IN (order district, destination)
Axle, 5: 3.50:1 Rear Axle Gear Ratio
Trans, 5: 4-Speed Manual Shift (Warner T-10)
Note: Some late 1963 production model cars had the data plate affixed to the end of the driver's door (like 64's) instead of the body door hinge post. There are no holes in the post for the data plate in the R-car. The data plate was removed from the driver's door when the doors were changed and given to me when I purchased the car. (See photo of data plate).
Being from Michigan, this body has rust issues and needs sheet metal replacement. Both doors, hood, and trunk lid had been replaced before I purchased the car and I do not see any rust/rot issues with them. The original fenders, inner fenders, and core support have rust/rot and should be replaced. There is rot in the lower quarter panels and the entire floor pan and trunk pan should be replaced. There is a large patch in the trunk pan, the floor pan in the rear seat area has been cut out/patched, and the front floor pans have holes in them. The frame has some rust but I do not see any holes in it. The bucket seats and some of the interior panels have been replaced and are not the original turquoise color, but all need to be recovered anyway. The car is pretty much complete except it does not have the drive train and associated parts. Please refer to the photos, if there is something that you should see and it is not there, it does not come with the vehicle. However, I have been collection Galaxie's for 20 years and may have other parts that I could offer for sale to the winning bidder if needed, after the auction.
OPTIONAL 2ND BODY WITH FRAME (YELLOW PARTS CAR)
I have another 63 Galaxie convertible parts car body (yellow) on a rolling frame that I had planned on using for donor sheet metal parts. I have owned this one since the early 2000's and it has also been stored in my heated garage. VIN #3Z65X136xxx. It shares some of the same sheet metal date codes as the R-code and was built in St. Louis, MO seven days before the R-code. It has the same DSO 34; however, this car obviously did not spend much time in the East as it has a nice frame and minimal sheet metal rust/rot. I have a Washington title for it. The data plate was missing but I found a build sheet under the gas tank. Included with this body/frame is other good sheet metal: two fenders, two inner fenders, radiator core support, and two front fender headlight plates. This yellow body also has some rust issues on the lower quarters, but not as bad as the R-code. The floor and trunk pan are good except for some small holes in the rear seat foot wells which is typical on convertibles. For photos please email Eric at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This parts car will be offered to the winning bidder for an additional fixed price of $2500, FOB Lake Stevens, WA. This option must be exercised by full payment within three days of the R-code car auction ending. The same "Terms of Sale" apply except no additional deposit is required through PayPal at the end of the auction.
TERMS OF SALE
1. For serious inquires / questions or photos call Eric at 425-238-5088 or email email@example.com.
2. Vehicle(s) will be available for inspection during the auction by appointment.
3. Vehicle is advertised locally for best offer and I reserve the right to end the auction early.
4. Vehicles(s) are being sold "as is" with no returns and no guarantee or warranty expressed or implied. I have represented the vehicle(s) to the best of my ability. Bidder is responsible for their own efforts of satisfaction of the vehicles(s), vehicle condition, and terms of the sale before bidding.
5. The winning bidder is required to make a $1000 non-refundable deposit through PayPal within 24 hours of auction ending and contact me to make arrangements to finalize the transaction within 48 hours of auction ending. Full payment is due within 3 days. If the winning bidder does not make a deposit and contact me within 48 hours of auction close, the vehicle(s) may be made available to the next highest bidder or another qualified buyer.
6. Final payment options: Cash in person or bank wire transfer are preferred. Cashier's check (certified from US or Canadian bank) accepted. (Vehicle pick up may be delayed until check clears).
7. Buyer is responsible for arranging for vehicle pick up and paying all shipping costs.
8. Vehicles(s) must be removed within 7 days of auction ending or 3 days of check clearing, whichever occurs last.