1968 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon - Movie Car
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ford
- Model: Other
- SubModel: Station Wagon
- Trim: Wood veneeer
- Year: 1968
- Mileage: 82,000
- VIN: 8J76Z178035
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 390, 4 bbl
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: FWD
- Interior color: Pastel Parchment (White)
- Drive side: Right-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1968 Ford Other Wood veneeer
A One of a Kind Find
You are viewing a very rare, no rust, low miles, film and television car. My children and I affectionately call her Betty.
Betty was manufactured in LA and has spent her entire life in Southern California. She was originally purchased by collector Hiram Bond. Years later she was sold to a local couple and rarely driven. In 2004 she was purchased by collector Jeff Frank of Tustin, CA who lent Betty out to various television and film projects, you may have noticed January Jones, Annette Benning, and Jill Clayburn in the photos.
Cosmetically, Betty is rust free and has been painted just once. Frank had the wood decals on the side removed, then applied a coat of the original color, Red, before adhering new wood decals.
- Betty has been in many television shows, movies, and commercials. Most recently she was Betty Draper’s car (January Jones) in seasons 6 & 7 of the AMC TV showMad Men.
- Annette Benning and Alec Baldwin drove this car inRunning with Scissors(2006). See screen shots below.
- Links of Life(French, Soon to Be Released
- Detroit(August 2017 Release, Kathryn Bigelow, Director)
The Fifth Generation (1965-1968)
Betty is a ‘Fifth Generation’ Country Squire. Ford manufactured the Squire from 1950 - 1991, it’s the third longest used car nameplate, next to the Thunderbird and the Mustang.
This era saw the leaf-spring rear suspension replaced with a three-link coil-spring layout. In addition, the long-running "valet key" made its debut.
Also, in 1966, seat belts became standard equipment for all seats (front and rear). In 1967, the Country Squire redesigned the steering wheel (with a large, padded hub in the center) fitted to an energy-absorbing steering column, padded interior surfaces, recessed controls on the instrument panel, and front outboard shoulder belt anchors. There was also the introduction of a dual-chamber master brake cylinder to ensure the 4,300 pound car would be better able to stop.
This generation introduced covered headlights as well as the Magic Doorgate, engineered by Donald N. Frey, which allowed the tailgate to flip down like a traditional tailgate or to open to the side as a swinging door.
The Magic Doorgate was made possible through use of a traditional stationary hinge on the right, and combination of hinges along the door's left side which carried the weight of the gate as it swung outward when used as a door. The rear window had to be retracted into the door before it would open to the side, or fold down.
- Deluxe LTD model
- 80,000 original miles
- Red exterior / Pastel Parchment interior
- Garaged, well maintained, no rust
- 390, 4 barrel engine
- MPG 11/City 16/Highway
- Electric windows
- Disc Brakes (Power)
- Power Steering
- Magic Door rear tailgate
- Seating for 10 passengers
- New carpet and headliner
- Ice cold Air conditioning
- AM Radio
Since purchasing Betty in February 2016, more than $10,000 in updating has been done, mainly seals, moldings, and maintenance to keep this car on the road for a long time to come. Updates include:
- Rebuilt carburetor
- Air Conditioning upgraded and repaired
- Transmission fluid differential leak repaired
- Rubber door seals, all four doors
- All same size lug nuts
- Matching hubcaps obtained
- New, adjustedheadlights
- Floorboard repaired from leaking vent
- Driver’s door aligned
- New indicator light bulbs
- Transmission fluid leak linkage o-ring replace
- New Windshield wiper switch
- Passenger side interior vent pull repaired
- New starter selenoid
- High speed hood vibration repaired
- Heater core replaced - new, 192 degree thermostat installed
- New Defrost fan motor
- Temperature control module repaired
- Gas removed and totally refurbished tank
- New radio antenna
- Power steering fluid leak repaired
- New Gas cap
- Gas compartment rubber bumpers replaced
- Seat belts installed
- Rewired tailgate window, fully operational
- Electric windows repaired
- Drivers vent window repaired
- Faded steering wheel insert replaced
- Rear speaker covers touched up
- Front Interior dome light cover replaced
- New Tires
- Rear electric window motor replaced
- Rear window rubber seal replaced
- Complete brake repair, new front disc brake hoses
- Intake manifold resealed
- Valve cover gaskets replaced
- Replaced choke tubes
- Transmission fluid leak at shift shaft seals and the transmission pan gasket fixed
- Installed Electronic ignition
- Flushed Radiator
- New (used) tire iron
- New muffler
- New headlight switch
I am selling this car because I have found another that I would like to purchase. I am not a car collector but this one is worthy of anyone's collection.