1917 Model T Touring Hot Rod (built 1953)
Price: - Item location: East Setauket, New York, United States
- Make: Ford
- Model: Model T
- Trim: Touring hot rod built 1953
- Year: 1917
- Mileage: NA
- Engine size: 322 Buick with 3 Stromberg 97s on Weiand manifold
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Drive type: Buick Dynaflow, torque tube and 32 Ford Banjo rear
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1917 Ford Model T1917 Ford Model T Touring hot rod.
- Built in 1953 by Fred Gerhardt, a famous California-based hot rod and Indy car builder.
- Titled as a 1917 Ford.
- 1953 Buick 322 nailhead V8.
- 3 Stromberg 97 carburetors mounted on an aluminum Weiand manifold.
- Custom lake pipes with removable baffles.
- Sale includes original white organ pipe 4-into-one exhausts (not installed on car - removed due to some perforation that could be TIG welded)
- 1953 Buick Dynaflow.
- Heavy duty transmission cooler under the floorboards (original to the build).
- Ford Torque Tube.
- 1932 Ford banjo rear axle with 4:10 gears.
- NOS axles and spider gears.
- 1948 Ford hydraulic brakes at all four corners.
- 1932 Ford Heavy front axle.
- Sectioned 1949 Ford dashboard.
- Rear tube shocks.
- Front Houdaille friction shocks.
- New Coker big and little tires.
- Ford spoke wheels.
- 12 volt negative ground.
- 12 volt Buick/GM generator.
- Master electrical shut-off.
- New heavy duty battery.
- Custom 15 gallon fuel tank hidden behind rear seat.
- Full custom Naugahyde interior with custom wooden framework.
- Vintage box-type directional and four-way flashers.
- Ignition safety kill switch.
- Model T rear spring.
- Custom tube frame with Model T rear stub.
- '39 Chevy headlight bucket frenched into body for drag link.
- '49 Ford steering box.
- Body channeled 3" over frame.
- Body and tubular steel body subframe (to add rigidity) solidly mounted to frame to create a rigid monocoque (was designed and built by race car builder) - rear doors welded shut and frenched into body.
- California black plates with 1979 stickers.
- 2 psi electric fuel pump with separate keyed security switch - set up to run the carbs dry for winter storage.
- Engine has good oil pressure and no knocks. There is a puff of valve seal smoke off idle. Includes an extra pair of complete, virgin 322 cylinder heads.
- Car is sorted and dialed in. Just go!
Very quick off the line! No drama, just punch. It's like having a 0 - 80 mph on/off switch. The engine starts right up and will idle all day. The car rides nicely and handles incredibly well. It is also very smooth with the Dynaflow transmission - no shock to the driveline. The ultimate go-kart.
This vintage vehicle has patina. There are cosmetic flaws due to age, storage, and use. It is NOT a rat rod. It was built to the highest contemporary standards in 1953 using the materials and techniques of the time. Many custom-built chrome-plated parts. The work that has been performed during my ownership has been to make the car usable with the least disruption to the original. Take-offs were bagged and boxed and are included with the sale.
Sold as is, where is with no warranty or returns. Local pickup only. Must be picked up within 10 days of sale.Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup.