1966 Mustang Coupe to Fastback Conversion Project Car
- Make: Ford
- Model: Mustang
- Type: Fastback
- Trim: Fastback Project Car 2-Door
- Year: 1966
- Mileage: N/A
- VIN: 6F07C311866
- Color: Burgundy
- Engine size: No Engine Included
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Drive type: RWD
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1966 Ford Mustang
1966 Mustang Coupe to Fastback Conversion
Build your DREAM 1966 Mustang with thisSolid, Straight and Rust FREE body. Originally a Coupe, this Mustang body has been transformed into the highlydesirableFastback Body Style! The beauty of this Mustang project is that it is ready to be built and customized to your desired color, interior, and drivetrain. Most of the hard restoration work has already been done. Along with the conversion body you will receive many extra body parts and interior glass and trim parts as well, making this a great starting point with many of these extras coming with the body.Make your dream a reality with this Fastback Conversion. Read below to see everything else you will receive.
This was a 1966 C code 289 Mustang Coupe that was converted to the 66 Mustang Fastback body style. The conversion was performed by a skilled sheet metal craftsman and fabricator with over 25 years experience performing classic Mustang restorations. The fabricator has completed 5 other fastback conversions prior to this full conversion. During the conversion process, all pertinent body panel measurements were taken from an original un-damaged ‘65 Mustang fastback for reference to insure excellent panel and seam alignment. Additionally, the front fenders, doors, hood, front valance/Headlight extensions and Front and rear glass were installed to check for fit and panel alignment prior to finalizing the welding on all conversion body panels installed. All of the paint and sand blasting work was done with the body on a rotisserie assembly to insure excellent coverage when blasting and painting the body and undercarriage.
The new body panels and support pieces were sourced from either Dynacorn or Scott Drake – both industry leaders in quality and fit. Also, when available, New Ford Tooled sheet metal or reproduction pieces that are stronger and thicker than original parts replaced were used. All of the exterior sheet metal panels (even though they are new) were stripped down to bare metal by hand (No harsh blasting to prevent any warping) and then prepped, sealed and made ready for body work.
From start to finish, there was approximately 170 Man-hours worth of work performed on this conversion project. There are about $5,000-$6,000 EXTRA parts included in this Deal!
Here is an outline of the major work performed during the conversion. Some sheet metal parts were replaced just because there was rust discovered after the blasting process. Instead of patching rusted areas a full replacement was used.
Sheet Metal Repair and Restoration Work Performed:
- New Dynacorn Complete 65-66 Fastback Quarter Panel Assemblies were installed.
- New Dynacorn Interior Fastback lower and upper Quarter Panel structural sheet metal installed.
- Rear Outer Wheel Housings replaced when coupe quarter panels removed along with the vertical rear trunk drop off panels.
- New Rear Trunk Brace and Cross member Installed. This is the cross member where the rear gas tank lip attaches.
- Both Front and Rear wheel lips have been rolled for extra clearance over the factory design to allow the use of wider tires. This modification achieves about ½” of extra clearance at each wheel opening.
- A 1/8” inch wire bead was formed and welded on the back side of the wheel openings for extra strength over the factory design.
- New Dynacorn Fastback Roof Installed and main exterior panel seams welded and fully smoothed at the A-Pillars and the rear Quarter Panels.
- NEW Torque boxes were installed in both the Driver and Passenger side for extra strength of the uni-body.
- *Reason: This makes the body more rigid and less prone to flexing when installing higher horsepower motors. A driver and passenger torque box was not installed from the factory until the big block Mustangs in ’68.
- NEW Complete Full Interior Floor Panel Installed. This floor panel was sourced from Scott Drake and is a heavy gauge steel like original pans with an excellent fit at the perimeter and weld seams. The seat risers and drain plugs were also installed.
- NEW Fastback Deck Lid Filler Panel Installed (Piece between rear glass and trunk Lid)
- NEW 65-66 Mustang Tail Light Panel Installed with upper corner supports to quarter panels. New Tail Light Panel Bracket and main center brace was also installed.
- NEW Dynacorn Fastback 65-66 Fastback Interior Support and Trunk Divider Assembly.
- All support brackets and interior structure welded in place for mounting Fastback interior panels in the rear. Additionally, all the interior panels were test fit to insure proper placement and panel alignment.
- 4 Point Roll Bar Installed. This roll bar is custom fabricated and designed to work with the rear seats removed. The bar is welded at the base plates and can be removed if you desire to install rear seat.
- New Sheet Metal panel installed and welded in the center of the dash and radio opening area to allow original style radio to be mounted.
- This was done because the dash had been cut for an aftermarket head unit.
- New Front radiator support replaced and installed with new lower front cross member brace - Heavy Duty Version with thick gauge steel.
- New Passenger side Battery Apron Sheet Metal installed in engine compartment to replace rusted original.
- Rear Side scoop brake duct collars installed (seam sealed and riveted like original) in the quarter panels and rear wheel inner housing. This work was done to allow the lower side scoop to direct fresh air to the rear brakes like the original Shelby Mustangs.
- Fiberglass Side Scoops sanded and fit to the Mustang quarter panels.
- Rear Quarter Panel Upper Vent openings modified to install Shelby R-Model Block-Off Plates (Included with parts) or the Shelby Plexi-glass window to be installed.
- Sand blasted inside and underside of Uni-body to bare metal and sanded the outer body sheet metal down to bare metal as well.
- Body prepped and sealed (inside and outside) after blasting with a high quality epoxy primer on a rotisserie to achieve good even coverage of paint. In total, 3 coats were applied inside and outside for excellent coverage and uniformity.
- Inside seams sealed with 3M Seam Sealer where all major interior seams are present in front and back of body.
- Inside floor sprayed with bed liner for durability and extra sound deadening.
Additional Sheet Metal and Fiberglass Body Parts Included:
- New Ford Tooled LH and RH Front fenders – Excellent fit and Quality!
- Headlight Bucket Housings and Headlight Doors (LH and RH Sides). These are original Ford parts with good fit and it good condition.
- Front Grille Support Bracket - Original Ford Part with good fit and in good condition.
- New Ford Tooled Rear Valance Assembly – Excellent fit and Quality! Non GT Style Rear valance (without rear exhaust cut-outs) was used so a Shelby-Style Side Exit exhaust could be installed.
- New Dynacorn 65-66 Mustang Door Shell Assemblies (LH and RH Sides) complete with door skins installed - excellent fit with no body work!
- Original Ford Tooled Fastback Deck Lid (Trunk Lid) in excellent condition. Deck has been stripped to bare metal, on top and underneath, prepped and sealed with Epoxy primer.
- Original Ford Tooled Quarter Extensions (LH and RH Sides) to match above Deck Lid.
- Shelby Style Block-off plates painstakingly formed by hand with English wheel to match contour of quarter panel. The plates are designed to cover the quarter vent area and mimic the Shelby R Style plates. Plates can be installed or left off. Plates have been test fit with mounting holes pre-drilled for rivets.
- Original 65 Mustang Front Grille Included. Grille is in good condition, but is an original part and will need to be painted.
Shelby Style Fiberglass
About the quality of the fiberglass Body Parts:
All the Stang-Aholics fiberglass panels included with this project Mustang are of exceptional quality. Each fiberglass part included is new and has never been fit to any other Mustang. The fiberglass parts have been specifically fit to this Mustang body for a very good fit and finish which will save time when the Mustang goes to body work and paint. These fiberglass components are all Hand-Laid by a highly skilled fiberglass technician with over 15 year’s experience. They are manufactured using very high quality ISO Marine resins and tooling gels to prevent any Sagging or Warping that is common with other fiberglass parts. The fit, finish and durability of these fiberglass parts are second to none in the Mustang aftermarket. The fiberglass parts are all reproductions of the Shelby fiberglass parts.
- Fiberglass Hood: Shelby Style Fiberglass Hood with Single Functional Hood Scoop. The hood features full fiberglass underbracing and structure. The hood hinge and hood latch mounting points are steel reinforced and have been drilled and tapped for the stock mounting hardware. Hood is mounted to the car with original (re-painted) hinges and hood pins installed in the front.
- Fiberglass Front Valance: Shelby R-Style Front lower valance with turn signal cutouts and brake cooling inlet ports. This valance has been fit and mounted to the front fenders to check for proper fitment.
- Fiberglass Lower Side Scoops: Shelby-Style functional lower side scoops have been fit to the quarter panels and mounted with removable screws so they can be permanently mounted and painted.
Even MORE Additional Parts Included with Body:
- Fastback Rear Interior Fiberglass Panels Included. All panels in good condition with the correct original style grain on surface. All panels are new hand-laid fiberglass, except the piece below the rear window which is in very good shape.
- Rear interior Panels and upper Roof Metal trim included and in good shape. Metal trim will need to be painted to match interior paint.
- Heavy-duty (Gates brand) 3” Black Flexible tubing included for both sides to connect lower quarter scoop air inlet collars.
- Shelby Style Stainless Steel/Chrome front hood pin Kit. Manufactured from Scott Drake and installed for the Shelby Style fiberglass hood.
- All Mustang fastback glass is included (used) but still in pretty good condition.
- Mustang fastback exterior stainless steel trim is included (Front Windshield, Rear Glass, Roof Rail Weather strip channel) and in fair shape, but could use cleaning and a good polish.
- 2 used stock front bucket seats are included – need to be restored and re-covered.
- Factory front suspension is installed but has not been re-built or restored in any way. Suspension components are just bolted on to be able to roll the Mustang body.
- 9 inch rear housing and axles installed under car, no 3rd Member Included. Housing has not been painted or restored and installed. Axles have original bearing/seal assemblies which should be replaced.
- Original 66 Mustang Leaf springs are installed in rear. These leafs are used but may be usable if inspected, cleaned and painted.
ALL THESE EXTRA PARTS ARE WORTH ABOUT $5,000-$6,000 DOLLARS ON TOP OF THE BODY THAT IS ALL READY TO BE BUILT!
The Mustang is a rolling body and the steering column is installed with front steering components so the vehicle will steer onto a trailer.
Roller Wheels and tires will be included in the purchase.
Transportation will have to be arranged accordingly since the car cannot move on its own. Arrangement for Transportation and Cost is the Responsibility of the Buyer. This Mustang is Sold As Is and has no warranty implied or given.
This 1966 Mustang has the pink slip and the factory Ford Vin Numbers. The factory Ford numbers identify this body as a coupe. The mustang is currently registered in California as Non-Operational.
If you have any additional questions please give us a call and talk to Ryan: 559-339-0577
Additional Pictures Available on request. We have pictures from the whole restoration (264 pictures total - but ebay only allows 24)