1959 FIAT 600 - PROFESSIONAL SHOW LEVEL RESTTORATION TO THE HIGHTEST STANDARDS
Price: - Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Make: Fiat
- Model: 600 -
- SubModel: CA. SUNROOF 600 - SUICIDE DOOR!
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: CA. SUNROOF 600 - SUICIDE DOOR!
- Year: 1959
- Mileage: 23,860
- VIN: 100629317
- Color: PLUM
- Engine size: 600cc
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: 4-SPEED
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: TAN - TWO TONE
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1959 Fiat 600 - CA. SUNROOF 600 - SUICIDE DOOR!
1959 Fiat 600
1959 "Suicide Doorâ€ Fiat 600
Truly Exceptional Professional "Nut & Boltâ€ Restoration to the Highest Standards
Restored with Incredible Attention to Detail and Authenticity by a Premier Restorer of Ferrari's, Race Cars, & Other Specialty, Pebble Beach Level Examples
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, considerations in buying a classic car and facts about our company. However, we continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read the full listing, please scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Fiat and answer any questions over the telephone, including our "Buy it Nowâ€ policy. Yes, the Fiat 600 can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
Please note: Each time we list a vehicle on eBay, we receive comments that there are no photos of the interior, engine, undercarriage, etc. of the car. There are a large number of photos of all areas of this Fiat, but when you reach what appears to be the last photo, you will need to scroll down on eBay to view the remaining photos. If you are still unable to see them, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we will provide a direct link. Note: It is a violation of eBay policy for us to list the URL on the eBay listing. Please let us know if you would like additional photos of any part of the Fiat. All of our photos are taken in natural light.
Unlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, you will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 25 years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 975+ positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, suitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, bonded (for the financial transaction), fully insured, and operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, and specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, Pres.
Classic Cars Ltd.
FIAT 600 HISTORY
Introduced in 1955 as a replacement to the Fiat Topolino, the Fiat 600 was produced from 1955 to 1969, during which time over 1.5 million cars were produced. Unlike its predecessor, the car was designed to accommodate 4 people and, with its 4 cylinder engine, be capable of speeds in excess of 65 mph. The Fiat was a perfect choice for a â€½City Carâ€ measuring just over 10.5 feet in length and 4.5' wide. To say it was fuel efficient would be an understatement, achieving a 45+ mpg rating.
Today, locating a solid, original, and rust free 600 has become increasingly difficult, in part, as a result of the high volume of cars that did not survive in "rust zonesâ€ around the globe. The Fiat 600's remained similar in configuration over the course of time with only minimal changes to the grills and front bumpers and trim. The more desirable cars are the 600's with "suicide doors" (hinged at the rear, not the front as traditional cars today) are those typically produced prior to the 1960's when the configuration of the doors was changed. Today, "suicide doorsâ€ (have become popular after a long absence and can be found on the Rolls Royce Phantom, and a nunber of custom manufactured automobiles).
THIS PARTICULAR FIAT 600
This 1959 Fiat 600 has a long and fascinating history in California with an indication of limited San Francisco Bay area owners. The odometer currently reads 23,860 but, of course, it would be virtually impossible to accurately determining the actual mileage on this 60 year old Fiat 600.
Supporting documents that will be included to support the Fiats California history and other rarely seen documents include the following:
- Authentic "Pink Slipâ€ (not a copy but the originalâ€¦not sure how this occurred, but it is not a copy) for the owner in nearby Redwood City with an expiration date of 1974
- Another ORIGINAL "Pink Slipâ€ documented the ownership of the Fiat from dated 1981 with a new local owner that, at the time, resided in San Mateo, CA
- Original Owner's / Service Manual (In English) "Instruction Bookâ€
- Original Service Booklet (In Italian) â€½Uso e Manutenzioneâ€
- Historical Registration Slips
- Copy of the Hillsborough Concours D' Elegance Program with Fiat pictured
- Other old DMV envelopes and documents dating the cars California lineage
- Miscellaneous articles on the Fiat 600
- Both yellow plates go with the car but ARE NOT registered to this vehicle
The original ID plate is in place identifying the car as chassis # 100.000 629317 with engine # 694862. The chassis number stamped on the rear compartment â€½firewallâ€ matches the plate chassis # and the plate appears to be 100% original / authentic, as do the Phillips head fastening screws. The engine number on the block is also 694862 making this example â€½numbers matching.â€ We were unable to locate paint codes but suspect this is a custom color that, frankly, is absolutely gorgeous; especially with the light contrasting two-tone beige interior. Please note: The yellow license plates shown on the Fiat are for display only. The car carries newer California plates and is currently licensed and registered through 10/22/18. Of course, the Fiat carries a clean, transferrable California title.
Most are narratives (including ours!) are very lengthy and include details on the condition of the vehicle and including strengths and â€½opportunity areas.â€ Frankly, the quality of this Fiat makes our job easy. The car represents a truly exceptional restoration of a rare Fiat 600 completed, not only by a professional restoration company, but one of the premier specialists known for the restoration of Italian collectibles to a Pebble Beach standard. While the car was done several years ago, it has been used very sparingly and all indications, including minimal "burningâ€ of the exhaust system, suggest the car has been driven very little. The current owner estimates that no more than a few thousand miles were accumulated since the cars restoration was completed.
The car has been owned by the same family for a reported 25~ year period and the restoration was completed over the course of many years. The cosmetic condition rates extremely high and compares with the restoration work that would be seen on a high level exotic, or a car built for show use. The minimal use that the 600has seen has not caused virtually no cosmetic imperfections and the cars exterior is totally free from damage. During the restoration, virtually all of the exterior, interior, trunk, and engine components were replaced, restored, or replated. The interior on the Fiat is exceptional and the light beige two-tone custom interior is a striking contrast to the exterior color that we describe as a â€½Deep Plumâ€ color. It is non-metallic and the car was, as you would expect, re-painted devoid of all of the trim and totally disassembled. The paint is flat, extremely high gloss with no signs of poor preparation or lower level work that we sometimes see on vehicles that are being â€½flippedâ€ for quick sale. In fact, this car was completed by the owner of the restoration facility as a personal car and was shown (trailed) to the now defunct, but well know, Hillsborough Concours D' Elegance. A photo of the car at the event in the 56th annual publication will be provided to the cars new owner.
As expected, the Fiat 600 has excellent panel fit with doors that close solidly, proper hood with release that works, and a rear deck lid that closes well and releases with the original handle. The windows roll-up easily and seat tightly as does the beautiful canvas top that locks securely and folds back.
The car is retains its original instrument cluster and what appears to be the original dash switches, lights and other items including the rear view mirror. The temptation to replace the warning light lenses with brand new units was resisted in order to retain the patina of the original items. The dash and the entire interior can be seen in the numerous interior photos, including the rear seat that folds down and can be used for carrying / storing larger items. The dash was completely restored as was the steering wheel and air horns were added for safety.
The trunk and engine compartments also received a comprehensive restoration. The trunk is fitted with a factory correct spare, restored jack and lug wrench. The gas tank has been re-done and the original wiper bag has been retained.
The engine is clean and, for a Fiat of this vintage, and relatively dry due to having been totally rebuilt by a local Fiat specialist. Original style stickers can be seen on the air cleaner unit and the side of the engine. The engine bay sheet metal has been replaced and the engine bay is properly configured and correct.
The Fiat starts runs and drives extremely well with the factory floor mounted choke and starter "pullsâ€ in place. Even after sitting for some time, the 600 fires up instantly and warms up with the functional choke. The brakes are excellent, stop the car straight and sure, and the emergency brake is functional. The engine, clutch and transmission, show no signs of problems and the Fiats electrical system is functional including working headlights, turn signals, wipers and brake lights. Wheels were restored and tires replaced in the proper size.
We have always preferred the drivability of the Fiat 600 vs. the "500â€ as the 4 cylinder engine makes the car drivable at speeds above 60 mph. In fact, on our drive to take photos, we drove the Fiat comfortably at 65 mph, top open, and loving every minute on the way to our Winery photo site. The gearing of the "600â€ makes the car great fun to drive around town. The Fiat shifts very well with excellent synchros, a properly adjusted clutch, and nimble, precise steering.
This particular Fiat 600 would make a spectacular car for a Winery or Italian business / restaurant and is reliable to be used on a regular basis. The overall quality of the restoration would also allow the new owner to show the car at any level show where it would be well received and likely to receive recognition. This is a special little car, indeed.
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 25 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, classic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, or through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, complete, and thorough vehicle descriptions. As of this writing we have 975 positive transactions on eBay.
- We have been shipping vehicles for 20+ years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject
to sales tax, a documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail. We would prefer that you call us to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Fiat by serious, qualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, etc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, or even a relatively new, used "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Display Only - Current CA Plates when Sold
Terms & Conditions
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.