2001 Thunder Roadster Ferrari-Inspired "Etceterini" Sports Racer - 1 of 1!
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ferrari
- Model: Other
- Year: 1979
- Mileage: 9999
- VIN: THUNDER0079
- Color: Red
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Transmission: Manual
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1979 Ferrari Other
2001 Thunder Roadster Ferrari-Inspired "Etceterini" Sports Racer - 1 of 1, fast and fun
This 2001 US Legends Thunder Roadster is a spec-series race car that has been re-bodied to resemble a 1950s sports racer. Originally built in 2001, and in 2013 the car underwent a rebuild and transformation into the car you see pictured. The body was designed and built by hand, then painted in a vibrant shade of red that evokes the spirit of Ferrari. The end result is stunning - a car that delivers big thrills on the racetrack, turns heads at any Cars & Coffee event, and makes for a perfect companion on your favorite winding road.
As a track car, this car excels in a number of different ways. Subscribing to the "less is more" philosophy, at ~1200 pounds this car can corner harder and brake later than most production cars. It accelerates quickly, screaming its way to 10k RPMs and then quickly finding the next gear via the sequential trans. And because it is so light, consumables seem to last forever. Tires, brake pads, rotors have long lifespans, and are cheap to replace when they do finally wear out (tires are $600/set of 4; brake pads are $50-75/set, shocks are $100 each, rotors are $35). Because of the long wheelbase, this car is stable and handling is quite neutral. When you exceed the limit, the car is very forgiving and easy to correct. I've used this car primarily for HPDEs and have been able to reel in and pass some very high-end hardware - Corvettes, 911 GT3s, Caymans, etc. If you want to do wheel-to-wheel racing, HSR gave the prior owner approval to run the car with them.
As a street car, this car is makes for a uniquely enjoyable experience. It offers the allure of a classic without any of the headaches - built in 2001, parts are readily available, all wear items recently replaced. This car won't leave you stranded!
I purchased the car from the builder in June of 2018 and proceeded to go through the car extensively, doing a significant amount of maintenance and upgrades as follows:
- Replaced out-of-date fuel cell with new unit (including foam inside of tank)
- Carburetors rebuilt by Hank Scott Racing; new jets, then sync'd on the dyno (from what I can tell they are the best in the business when it comes to Legends/ Thunder Roadsters).
- Installed INEX Wilwood Front Brake kit. This saves 16 pounds of unsprung weight from the car and allows for using a more common pad size (more compound options and cheaper). In conjunction with the new brake kit I replaced the brake master cylinder, front pads (Hawk), rear pads (Hawk)
- New Holley Mighty Mite Fuel Pump and fuel filter
- Replaced out-of-date harness with new GForce 6 point cam lock harness
Included with the sale will be several boxes of spares.
Engine & Transmission
- Yamaha FJ 1250 Engine; Water Cooled. Replaced with brand new Blitz motor in 2012 ($5k). Less than 1200 miles since rebuild.
- Water Cooled Cylinder Head. This is an important upgrade as it significantly extends the lifespan of the motor.
- Carburetors rebuilt by Hank Scott Racing in late 2018 (Hank Scott is generally regarded as the most capable carb guy in Thunder Roadster/ Legends circles)
- Transmission - sequential 5 speed; 1st gear is forward, 2nd through 5th is back.
- Dual oil coolers (one built into radiator; another X row in the opening behind the front right wheel well.
- Holley Mighty Mite fuel pump (replaced 2019)
Suspension/ Wheels/ Tires
- Bilstein shocks
- Adjustable coilovers
- 15x8 wheels
- Nitto NT01 Tires - 205/50/15
- Wilwood Calipers/ INEX Front Brake kit
- Hawk DTC60 pads (front)
- Hawk HP Plus pads (rear)
- Wilwood Brake Bias Valve
- New front brake rotors (late 2018)
- New brake master cylinder (late 2018)
- New brake reservoir (late 2018)
- New brake reservoir hoses (2019)
- Three piece Etceterini-style body built of fiberglass with a foam core
- Simulated headlamps (I have wiring and a relay if you want to make these operational)
- Faux fuel filler door (Fuel Cell is accessible below rear body panel of car which is removable)
- Custom badges
- Period-style rearview mirrors
- Normal wear from track use is visible in the red finish, along with areas of bubbling
- Some of the original Thunder Roadster bodywork is available and will be included if the buyer wants it
- Autometer center-mounted tachometer
- Oil temperature
- Oil pressure
- Coolant temperature
- Full tube-frame with 1.5-inch, .095 D.O.M. tubing
- G Force 6 point cam lock harness
- 5 Gallon steel Fuel Safe
- 1282 lbs
- New battery (mid 2018)
-Does not have reverse. Luckily it's light enough that one person can easily push the car, to back it out of a parking spot for example.
-Street legality - the car is currently registered for street use in Georgia. Registration requirements vary from state to state, so please do your homework if you intend to purchase this car for street use. Street legality in your area is not guaranteed.
-Sold on Bill of Sale
I have several videos of this car on track at Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports Park, and Atlanta Motorsports Park. Interested buyers can contact me and I will send you the link.
Inspiration was drawn from so many cars. Look closely and you'll see hints of Lotus, Super 7, Super Seven, Caterham, Lotus 7, Etceterini, Maserati 300s, Sports Racer, Ferrari 196, Ferrari 375, Ginetta G4, Legends Car, Ginetta G3, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz W196, Shelby Cobra, Factory 5.
SCCA, NASA, USLCI
On May-21-19 at 10:19:07 PDT, seller added the following information:
JZilla March 2019 Crawdini - Best Lap 1:33
Video will open in a new windowUsing the mobile app? Copy this link into your browser: