1965 DODGE GT - FACTORY A/C, BUCKETS, & CONSOLE - ORIG. PAINT / CALIFORNIA CAR
Price: US $2,850.00 Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Dodge
- Model: Dart
- SubModel: GT
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: 2 DOOR HARDTOP
- Year: 1965
- Mileage: 122,000
- VIN: 24551144443
- Color: White
- Engine size: 225 c.i.
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Power options: Air Conditioning
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Red
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1965 Dodge Dart GT
1965 Dodge Dart GT
OFFERED AT NO RESERVE...
Desirable Dart GT with Factory A/C
California "Survivor" with Original Paint & Interior
Bucket Seats, Automatic, Console Functional Original AM Radio
NOTE: Our listings sometimes get rather lengthy. However, we continually hear from out of state / out of country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, if you are not prepared to read multiple pages of description, we ask that you review the "Specifications" on the car along with viewing the photos. Also, if you'd prefer, please call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Dart GT and answer any questions over the telephone, including about our Buy it Now policies. Yes, the car can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction. Again, please give us a call for details.
ALSO, PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON eBay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, ENGINE, UNDERCARRIAGE, ETC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE A LARGE NUMBER OF PHOTOS, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, YOU WILL NEED TO SCROLL TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THE PHOTOGRAPHS, PLEASE CALL US AND WE WILL PROVIDE A LINK FOR THE PHOTOS (IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING).
All of our photos are taken in natural light and we do not "Photo-Shop" or touch-up the photos in any way. This is a very original car that has spent the majority of its life in Southern California. With an estimated 3 total owners, the car has been maintained over the years and the one off who owned the car for over 35 years.
The "madness" is underway in the various auction venues around the country. We often times see a wide range of collectible cars / special interest cars sell for inflated amounts in the "heat of the moment." This car is offered at No Reserve so it will sell to the highest bidder on eBay. Perhaps most important, the Dodge is being offered for sale by Classic Cars Ltd., an established entity for over 23 years with a 16 year history of eBay sales, 880+ transactions and with a 100% positive eBay feedback history since 2000.
Classic Cars Ltd.
THIS PARTICULAR DODGE DART GT
There's an old saying that goes "You can restore a car over and over again but it's original only once." Well, that adage certainly has application with this California Dart GT. While the car has received some refurbishing over the years, it remains virtually 100% unmodified and with the exception of benefiting from ongoing maintenance, a few interior improvements, and replacement of the needed mechanical components.
When the previous owner acquired the Dodge it had been owned by an elderly individual for many years. The car had always been stored inside and started occasionally, but used increasingly infrequently. As a result, the elderly owner's family decided to offer the car to someone that could continue to care for the car and appreciate it for its uniqueness. The cars new owner took possession of the car and addressed a number of minor items using the car as a weekend car to attend a variety of events in Northern California.
Over the years, we have seen a large number of Mustangs, Camaro's and other mid-60's American cars. The Dodge Dart is a departure from the more commonly seen cars and, frankly, we think it rates high on the "cool factor." Plus, this is an authentic GT that left the factory with the incredibly reliable, long life inline 6 (with a rebuild 40K~ miles ago), bucket seats, center console, floor shift and AIR CONDITIONING! This is a classic 60's Dart GT that could be used "As-Is", brought to higher level or as a candidate for a complete restoration. The best part? This car is considerably more affordable than the others but will draw even more attention as a result of its uniqueness. It is offered for sale with NO reserve.
CONDITION - COSMETIC - BODY, INTERIOR, TRUNK & ENGINE BAY
The GT is an original car that, as the photos support, shows very well for an original "Survivor." There is no significant body damage and, with the exception of a few bumps, bruises, and nicks & chips, the body is generally straight. The panels fit well and the doors have even gaps and close securely and solidly. There is no indication of panel replacement or any partial painting of fenders, hood, body or trunk / hood. Amazingly, the Dodge appears to have virtually all of its factory original Mopar paint. The Dart GT is certainly not a show car but will make a wonderful classic car for someone on a budget that is looking for a really clean and rather uniquely optioned 60's American cruiser.
There are no signs of exterior rust through and outside of a few small areas of light surface discoloration (where chips have light surface patina (Dusting of "rust") and the cars condition could be described as "California clean." Unlike cars in the Midwest / East Coast (we know, we're originally from Chicago!) good examples of West coast cars are free from the surface rust and even the substantial "patina" that exists on many of the exterior parts of older cars. This car is a good example of what a car can look like after close to 50 years in California!
The chrome bumpers are in good condition with a minor dent on the rear bumper, driver's side and trunk lid (see photos). The other trim, while largely original, is in good condition and does not detract from the appearance of the GT.
The Dart GT is original with good seats, front and rear. The door panels, dash, carpet and trim are all in good original condition, as the photos reflect. There are cracks in the dash and a special order dash mat in matching red now covers the dash. The car has the desirable center console shift. The carpet is original and covered floor mats that enhance its appearance.
When the car was purchased the seats were original and presentable but beginning to show signs of wear from years of use. The owner decided to make an investment in the car and have the seats completely re-done (both front and rear) by a local, custom upholstery shop. The result is, well, fantastic! The seats have a similar pattern to the original but are in excellent condition having been done just a month ago.
Closer analysis of the interior reveals the same originality and nice condition. The headliner is original and free from rips and tears as is the rear package shelf. The steering wheel is beautiful and complete with the original logo and working horn. The factory original AM radio works just fine and the painted portions of the dash are good with the expected chip here and there from years of use.
The windows roll up and down freely and there are no missing trim pieces in the interior. Door locks are functional and the heater blower and heater and fan work just fine. The electrical system is 100% with all lights, turn signals, brake lights and dash lights operational. The wipers operate and even the self park feature still works.
MECHANICAL CONDITION / RUNNING DRIVING THE DART
When it comes to drivability, this particular Dart GT runs and drives well. The car has very nice performance and the venerable inline six cylinder is as "smooth as silk." We attribute the cars excellent mechanical condition to the care that it has received over the years, the recent upgrades, and the reported low mileage.
The car is surprisingly fun to drive and exhibits absolutely no mechanical, or drivability problems. The car starts immediately when cold and hot and runs cool, even in warm 100 degree California temperatures. We recently drove the Dart GT on a local trip around town and the car ran exceptionally well. Of course, the Dodge is exempt from California's new, strict smog check, based on its age (virtually all other states, will exempt the car as well).
There are no issues with the engine, it does not smoke, leak, or exhibit any problems. The GT idles smoothly, does not hesitate, have any unusual noises or apparent mechanical issues.
We were told by son of the owner of the car that their father always maintained the car extremely well and had the maintenance/repairs completed by professionals. They also indicated that the car was always kept in excellent running condition, never stored or left unused for extended periods of time. However, at this time the brakes are soft and may need to be addressed. Based on our volume of complete projects, we need to make space so are offering this car at no reserve and as a light project. As collectors know the cars are very straightforward mechanically and any capable mechanic can perform simple repairs like brakes, tune-ups, etc.
The transmission is excellent and shifts are smooth and precise. There is no slippage, noise or problems with the transmission. Also, there is no drive-line noise (rear end, suspension, etc.). The Dart is not fitted with power steering or brakes and there is really no need considering the size and light weight of the car.
The engine and engine bay is also all original and remains in its factory configuration. The air cleaner, valve covers and other parts are correct to the car and no modifications have been made to the carburetion, exhaust, intake, etc.
The trunk is solid showing light surface rust (patina) but no rust through. A spare tire and jack are in place in their respective locations.
HISTORY - DODGE DART
The Dodge Dart was built by the Dodge division of the Chrysler Corporation from 1960-1976 in North America, with production extended to later years in various other markets. The Dart was introduced as a shorter wheelbase, full-size Dodge in 1960 and 1961, became a mid-size car for 1962, and finally was a compact (in the day!) from 1963-1976. Chrysler had previously applied the "Dart" name to a Ghia-built show car in 1956.
The project planners proposed the name Dart, only to have executives demand an expensive research program which produced the name Zipp. This was promptly rejected in favor of Dart. The name found favor as the market had been recently introduced to a new military aircraft called the Convair F-106 Delta Dart, commonly known as the "Delta Dart", in a marketing attempt to appeal to the excitement surrounding the Space Race during the early 1960s.
In 1963, Dodge dropped the Lancer nameplate and applied the Dart name to Dodge's newly designed "senior compact", a marketing term referring to the wheelbase having grown to 111 in (2,819 mm) from the Lancer's 106.5 in (2,705 mm). This longer wheelbase would underpin all Darts from 1963-1976 except the 1963-1966 station wagon (106 in (2,692 mm) wheelbase) and the 1971-1976 Demon/Sport (108 in (2,743 mm) wheelbase). The Dart was available as a 2- or 4-door sedan, a 2-door hardtop coupe, a station wagon, and a convertible. Three trim levels were offered: the low-spec 170, the high-spec 270, and the premium GT, which was available only as a 2-door hardtop coupe or convertible. The Dart was an instant market success, with 1963 sales up sharply compared to those of the 1962 Lancer, and the Dart remained extremely popular through the end of the Dart's production run in 1976.
Initial engine offerings were two sizes of the slant-6: a 170 cu in (2.8 L), 101 hp (75 kW) version was fitted as standard equipment, and a 225 cu in (3.7 L), 145 hp (108 kW) version was available for less than $50 extra.
LICENSE / REGISTRATION / INSPECTION
- Clear California title
- No smog required in California (vehicles 1975 and older are exempt)
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- We have a number of additional, detailed photographs on our Website but are not allowed to show the URL on eBay. Please contact us and we'll gladly direct you to the site.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, terminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed or open at very attractive rates.
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, we find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet!
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, California buyers will be subject to sales tax, documentation fee, DMV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: if the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, sales-tax, license registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, if you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, etc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, we make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, and highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, standing in the community, length of time in business, and other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Please keep in mind that cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, nicks, scratches, and other imperfections that exist on virtually every used car. Also, ownership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, these cars require regular, ongoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, and understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, collector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, in some instances, has been provided by the car's previous owner or other sources. As a result, we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data contained in this listing prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering. We also encourage inspections prior to the end of the auction.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, we recommend that you carefully review the seller's background of any collector car being sold over the Internet. We believe that it is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, but not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, exterior, top, chrome, etc. or are they simply "Glamour Shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, licensing by the state, and a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, grievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, transport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
* Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, small, California town for over 23~ years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", indoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, consignment, and purchase of sports, high performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
* The majority of our vehicles come from local, private owners and collectors, and many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, with excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, and around the country. As a result, we do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, salvage sales, or lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, or those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
* Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 880+ positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
* We are fully insured, bonded, and licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
* Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
* We enjoy excellent relationships with a number of transport companies and, as a result, can often times obtain preferred pricing for vehicle shipping. Please give us a call and we will be glad to refer you to suitable transport companies. Needless to say, we would recommend a quality, enclosed transporter that is experience with moving high quality, collectible cars.
* We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Terms & Conditions
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.
Sellers: Get your own map of past buyers. Fast. Simple.