1971 Datsun 240z - Driver Wanted
- Make: Datsun
- Model: Z-Series
- Type: Coupe
- Year: 1971
- Mileage: 69,020
- VIN: HLS30-29602
- Color: Yellow
- Engine size: 2.4
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: CD Player
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1971 Datsun Z-SeriesBuilt to be a drivers car, not a show car. If you want a 2,300lb classic car that handles like a go-kart, you can stop looking now.
Completely stock when I got it mechanically, all of the worn out bits were replaced and upgraded to the fullest extent when possible. It drove like a spent rubber band when I first got it. As you went around a corner, you could feel everything flex and eventually load up, and then, and only then, would it go all the way around the corner. Forbid there were any inconsistencies in the road mid corner.
I set out to change all that.
The stock struts were replaced with a McKinney Motorsports coil-over conversion.
All wheel bearings were replaced at the same time.
Any bushings that didn't become rod-ends were replaced with poly bushings.
New tie rod ends and poly steering rack bushings.
Camber plates from Ground Control were used instead of the ones included with the c/o conversion.
Stock Front and Rear Control Arms and TC rods were replaced by Techno Toy Tuning fully adjustable units.
The original 4 speed transmission was replaced with a 5 speed from a 280ZX.
The stock differential was replaced with a R180 Torsen type LSD from a JDM Subaru STi with BetaMotorsports Side Axles. That particular diff. was a huge PITA to locate.
The front sway bar was replaced and a rear one was added with Suspension Techniques items. The front sway bar mounting points were reinforced with the Bad Dog plates as well.
The stock brakes were upgraded to Wilwood discs all the way around with the Arizona Z Car kit with secondary parking brake calipers on the rear.
Along with the disc conversion, the larger brake booster from a 280z was used with a 1" Wilwood master cylinder and a Wilwood proportioning valve was added.
17 x 9.5" Rota RBR wheels are wrapped with Dunlop Direzza Z1 tires.
Holding all that together is a full length set of Bad Dog Frame Rails. This car has full length frame rails connecting the front and rear subframes. I cannot express how much of a difference this makes in reducing the chassis flex of these cars.
The engine is the original, runs strong and starts easily. The SU carbs were replaced in the 90's by a previous owner. The smog pump was dead when I got it and was removed along with its accessories.
The stock radiator leaked and got replaced by a really nice Koyo unit. It holds far more coolant than the original and the engine doesn't overheat when driving in traffic anymore.
The stock lower valance was replaced by a MSA air dam.
The original battery was removed as was the battery tray to wheel and paint the only surface rust I found on the car. A Odyssey light weight battery is now in place.
Most under-body parts were powder coated gloss black before being installed.
New NGK plugs, wires and distributor cap in summer '17.
The not so perfect list:
The engine has a slow oil leak on the head gasket above the oil filter.
There is a broken stud on the exhaust manifold of cylinder 1 and a small exhaust leak accordingly.
The passenger seat has a tear.
The paint is not show quality. Whoever did it could have done better and masked more things. It was how I got the car.
There are also minor scratches, chips, and blemishes in the paint and body work from life as a car. The worst spot is on the right rear fender where the fender roller damaged a small repair that had been done during the previous paint job.
The rear drivers side strut was not welded perfectly straight when the coilover conversion was done. It is adjusted to match the other side, but that is why the camber adjustment doesn't appear even on the inside.
The rubber seals on the car are showing their age. Some are worse than others. Tail light seals were just replaced.
The dash is
There is a pile of original parts and some other new and uninstalled parts that are included with the sale.
Includes factory service manuals as well.
On Nov-07-17 at 10:30:35 PST, seller added the following information:
Forgot to include:
Techno Toy Tuning Roll Center Adjusters are installed for corrected steering geometry.
I didn't finish the sentence about the dash. The stock dash is cracked as most of them are and a cover was installed at some point. The cover is in good condition.
The clock did not come with hand/arms, I never tried to fix it.
There is a JVC CD player in place of the original stereo, which is also included.