1948 CHRYSLER WINDSOR CONVERTIBLE - RESTORED, SHOW WIN. CAR - DOC. SINCE DAY ONE
Price: US $16,766.00 Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Chrysler
- Model: Other
- SubModel: Windsor Convertible
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: 2 Door
- Year: 1948
- Mileage: 31,700
- VIN: 70687196
- Color: Green
- Engine size: 251c.i. Inline 6
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Fluid Drive
- Drive type: Rwd
- Interior color: Green & Tan
- Options: Leather Seats, Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1948 Chrysler Other Windsor Convertible
1948 Chrysler Windsor
A Show-Winning, eautifully Restored Luxury Convertible w/ Amazing Documentation
Meadow Green with Tan Power Top & Green/Tan Interior
Chrysler Spitfire 6 Cylinder Engine w/ Fluid-Drive Semi-Automatic Transmission
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, onsiderations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, e continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, f you are not prepared to read the full listing, lease scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, lease call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Chrysler and answer any questions over the telephone, ncluding our "Buy it Now" policy. Yes, he Chrysler can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON EBAY WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, NGINE, NDERCARRIAGE, TC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS CHRYSLER, BUT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, OU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, LEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE EBAY LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE CHRYSLER. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP" OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, nlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, ou will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 21+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 850 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, uitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, onded (for the financial transaction), ully insured, nd operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, nd specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, lease let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, res.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1948 CHRYSLER WINDSOR CONVERTIBLE COUPE
This luxury convertible is a fine example of a bygone era when each marque had a true personality and was readily recognizable, ven from a distance. This solid, estored Chrysler has been beautifully and lovingly restored in a body-on fashion. It shows and drives beautifully but is a true driver, ot a trailer queen. It is ready for a new owner to proudly cruise and show.
The car bears VIN 70687196, roperly attached to the driver's side door jamb. The current odometer reading is 31,700 miles. It must be judged "total miles unknown" due to its 67 year age but, ased on all appearances, he car does appear to be a low mileage example. One thing is very apparent, he car has been incredibly well maintained by its limited owners.
HISTORY OF THIS PARTICULAR CAR
The extensive records indicate that this car has had only 4 owners. It was sold new on October 8, 948, y the dealer Hannum & Waite in Swarthmore, A for a total of $2,824.01. This rather high price for 1948 is indicative of the luxury status of this model. The car remained in Pennsylvania with this original owner for 40 years. In 1988, t was sold to the second owner in Northern California where a body-on restoration was finished in 1991 as evidenced by the receipt file. It was later sold to a gentleman in Oregon who freshened the restoration in 2007 with new paint and a new top and boot. The car was finally purchased by the current Washington State owner in 2007. The current owner has lovingly maintained and shown the car for the past 8 years and, f course, he car has been used as a fair weather car for virtually all of its protected life. Receipts show that he has cared for the car in a "cost is no object" manner during this period, ncluding recent new brakes, new tires and a new battery.
The car was judged "Best of Show" in the 2009 Camas, A show and was also shown at the Columbia River Concours d'Elegance and the Forest Grove, R Concours d'Elegance in 2010.
The extensive documentation provided with this car is amazing. This includes the following:
- Original Bill of Sale from 10-08-48
- Original Owner's Service Policy dated 10-07-48
- Insurance certificate dated 1950
- Original booklet "Facts About Your New Chrysler"
- 1941-1948 Chrysler Shop Manual, ode C-38
- Mopar Body and Sheet Metal 1949
- Chrysler Passenger Car Parts List, evised Dec 1947
- Motor's Auto Repair Manual 1936-1949
- Petersen's "Basic Ignition and Electrical Systems"
- Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts 1930-1962 Chrysler
- Five issues of 1948 Life Magazines
- Many useful "How-To" articles on the '48 Chrysler
- Extensive history article on the '48 Chrysler including many color photos
- Many maintenance/restoration receipts from the past 2 owners
The current owner completed considerable maintenance on the car in 2011 and 2012 as follows:
- New Coker Classic wide white wall radial tires
- New 6 volt Exide battery
- Re-chroming of various parts
- Repair of an exhaust leak
- New brake cylinders, ew linings, ew drums, ew master cylinder, ew rear grease seals, leed brakes
- Convertible top repair (Hydraulics)
- Replace fuel gauge sensor, epair fuel tank
- Minor rust removal and spot and repainting
Receipts are also provided from previous owners, ith the first significant restoration being completed in 1991. It was freshened in 2007 with a full repaint in the proper color, new convertible top and boot.
- L-head Spitfire 251 I6 engine, 14 hp/204 lb-ft torque
- Stock single barrel carburetor
- Chrysler semi-automatic M-5 Fluid Drive transmission, gears
- Brand new Coker Classic 235/75-15 radial wide white wall tires
- Exide 6 volt battery dated April 2015
- Beautiful, roper Meadow Green paint, 007
- New tan power top and boot in 2007
- Excellent front bumper w/ 3 guards
- Excellent rear bumper
- Chrome exhaust tip
- Excellent grille
- Excellent stainless trim at beltline, ood center and rocker panels
- Stainless beading between rear fenders and body
- Excellent chrome tail light housings
- Chrome gas cap
- Good stainless headlight rings
- Two outside rear view mirrors
- Factory radio antenna on left front cowl
- Center cowl air intake
- Excellent glass all around
- Both doors, ood and trunk open/close easily
- All 4 side windows crank easily; the 2 wind wings open nicely
- Beautiful, roper Polo Green leather and tan fabric seat covers
- Matching green seat belts in front
- Beautiful tan fabric/green leather/green carpet door panels (from top to bottom); properly installed with no screws showing
- New wind lacing
- New black rubber door sills
- Beautiful two-tone green dash
- Excellent green carpeting
- Nice green sun visors
- Nice, rack-free steering wheel
- Working factory heater under right side of dash
- Working parking brake w/ warning light
- Working vacuum windshield wipers
- Speedometer and all gauges work
- Functional clock
- Working radio
- Nice wide whitewall spare tire w/ original jack in trunk
- Period wicker picnic basket and two tan leather suitcases in trunk
- Very solid trunk w/ gray mats
- New weather-strip on trunk lid
The car is an extremely nice, lbeit not a 100 point Concours level show car restoration. The Meadow Green paint is excellent with no significant flaws. The body is very straight. The tan power top shows like new, ncluding the glass rear window. The matching tan boot fits very nicely when the top is down and all snaps work. Both bumpers are excellent, ree of dents with fine chrome. All stainless trim is very nice. There is a very small dent in the right rear beltline trim. The wide white walls are brand new and the Chrysler chrome hubcaps and beauty rings are excellent. All glass is excellent.
The interior is properly restored and very attractive in tan and several shades of green. The leather seating surfaces and fabric seats show virtually no wear. The carpet is excellent and coordinates well with the other interior colors. The lower right corner of the windshield trim has a flawed paint area. The windshield rubber is original and is showing some signs of age. The chrome horn ring has some pitting but is very presentable as an original component.
The engine compartment is very nicely detailed with a silver engine, green firewall and black inner fenders. The hood lacing is good. All appears just as it should have in 1948, esisting the temptation to modernize anything. As nice as it runs, hy should it be modernized?
The trunk is solid and properly fitted with bottom mats and side trim. The wide whitewall spare has a shiny Chrysler hubcap installed. The period luggage and picnic basket add a nice touch.
The car starts easily and immediately and runs better than any example of a late 40's / early 50's vehicle that we have had in recent memory. The car retains its 6 volt system that is fully operational and in excellent condition. The idle is quiet and smooth. The semi-automatic transmission operates smoothly and quietly and shifts without "fuss" unlike previous Fluid Drive cars that we have had / driven. The ride represents true luxury car comfortable from another (some would argue better!) time and the car is free from annoying rattles or other body noises. To say it is solid would be a dramatic understatement. The exhaust is quiet as it should be and there is no smoking. The steering has little play and the brakes, hich are all relatively new, ork well. There is some brake squeak early-on after startup that goes away after a few applications of the brakes. The engine operates at a cool temperature (in the 160 degree range even on a recent drive in 100+ California temperatures) and the oil pressure is very high, n the 75 lb. range when the car is warm. The power top raises and lowers nicely, but needs a bit of hand help when being raised (not uncommon for the large tops on these cars).
The underside of the car received a detailing when it was restored and shows very well. It is extremely solid overall with some patina from use but the underside does not have significant rust-through and is clean. The undercarriage is surprisingly free from accumulation of oil and other fluids.
- California smog test not required for vehicles 1975 and older
- Passed the California required safety inspection for working wipers, turn signals, ights, rakes, tc.
- The Chrysler is fitted with aftermarket front seat belts for safety
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1948 CHRYSLER WINDSOR CONVERTIBLE COUPE
- Wheelbase 121.5"
- Length 210.75"
- Width 77.75"
- Turning circle 36'
- Curb weight 3880 lbs.
- Engine L head Spitfire 251 cu. in., 14 hp/204 lb-ft torque
- Transmission Chrysler M-5 Fluid-Drive Hydraulic operated (semi-automatic), gears
- 11 inch drum brakes all around
- Front suspension-independent w/ coil springs, ouble acting hydraulic shocks
- Rear suspension-parallel semi-elliptical leaf springs, ouble acting hydraulic shocks
- Top speed 81 mph
- Fuel capacity 17 gal
- Fuel economy 14.2 mpg
HISTORY OF THE CHRYSLER WINDSOR
The Chrysler Windsor was a full-sized car built by Chrysler from 1939 to the 1960s. The final Chrysler Windsor sold in the United States was produced in 1961. The Windsor was positioned above the entry-level Royal from 1939 to 1950. With the demise of the Royal for the 1951 model year, he Windsor became Chrysler's price leader until 1960. For the 1961 model year the Chrysler Newport was made the marque's price leader with the Windsor positioned one level above the Newport. Chrysler replaced the Windsor name in 1962 with the introduction of the non-lettered series Chrysler 300.
The Windsor first came out in 1939. In 1940, he Windsor came in either long or short wheelbase versions. New this year were sealed beam head lights. The Windsor used independent front suspension, 1" brakes, nd an X-girder truss type frame. New for 1941 was the Windsor Town and Country station wagon. Fog lights and bumper crash bars were optional. Production ended in January, 942, s all automobile companies in the USA switched to war production. The 1942 heralded post-war design, ith fenders being better integrated into the overall bodywork.
After the war, he Windsor was put back into production with a design similar to the 1942 models. New things included a hand brake warning signal that warned that the hand brake was not fully released and a new grill. The Chrysler Windsor offered a full complement of instrumentation.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, e recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, ut not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, xterior, op, hrome, etc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, icensing by the state, nd a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, rievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, ransport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, mall, alifornia town for over 21 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", ndoor showroom, and specialize in the sale, onsignment, nd purchase of sports, igh performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, rivate owners and collectors, nd many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, ith excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, nd around the country. As a result, e do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, such as wholesale auctions, alvage sales, r lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, r those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
We have sold hundreds of unique, lassic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, r through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, omplete, nd thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, erminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 850 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, onded, nd licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, and will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, e find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), thanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, alifornia buyers will be subject
to sales tax, documentation fee, MV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, ales-tax, icense/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- While we encourage telephone calls to discuss this vehicle in greater detail we will not respond to inquiries asking "What is the reserve". Also, f you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, tc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you.
- We encourage inspections of this Chrysler by serious, ualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, e make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, nd highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, tanding in the community, length of time in business, nd other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, icks, cratches, tc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, r even a relatively new, sed "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, wnership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, hese cars require regular, ngoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, patience, nd understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, ollector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, n some instances, as been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, e are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style:Convertible Exterior Color:Meadow Green Interior Color:Green and Tan Engine:In Line 6 Cylinder Transmission: Semi-Automatic Mileage:31627 Drive:Rear Doors:2
100% Street Lgal
AM Push Button Radio
Best of Show Winner!
Convertible Boot Cover
Factory AM Radio
Factory Power Top
Heater / Defroster
Original Jack & Tools
Rear Bench Seat
Records Since New!
Runs / Drives Very Well
Seat Belts (Front)
Terms & Conditions
- Buyers outside of California will be responsible for a $195.00 fee for processing/administration. The charge will apply if the vehicle is purchased through ebay or before or after the auction, directly through Classic Cars Ltd.
- The vehicle is listed for sale elsewhere. We reserve the right to end the auction at anytime. We will be glad to discuss details of a "pre-auction" purchase (925) 846 1451.
- Inspections of vehicles are encouraged but (by appointment only) must be completed within 24 hours of the end of the auction.
- Out of state buyers are responsible for the high bid and any shipping costs. California buyers are subject to the appropriate sales tax, MV transfer, nd fees associated with the purchase of any used vehicle sale in the state of California.
- To avoid shipping the title with the car to our out of state buyers, e mail the title via Priority Mail.
- While shipping and transportation costs (if appropriate) are the responsibility of the winning bidder, e can assist with locating a suitable transporter. We regularly ship cars all over the USA/World, nd can often times locate very competitive rates for transporting vehicles door to door, o a local terminal, nclosed, pen, etc. Please call us for specific information/rates to your location.
- We meet some great people and fellow enthusiasts, and only rarely do we have problems with non-paying bidders. Please be certain that you are prepared to buy the car if you bid, r call us at 925-846-1451 before the end of the auction if we can answer any questions. If you have a "sunglass" rating or fewer than 10 feedback ratings on eBay, lease call us before you bid so that we can discuss the bidding process, tc. If we do not hear from you, e reserve the right to delete your bid.
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd. On Jul-30-15 at 12:25:53 PDT, eller added the following information:
Sellers: Get your own map today. Click here now. Simple."