1978 CHEVROLET CAMARO LT TRUE SURVIVOR 1 OWNER VERY LOW MILES 350 CI 4-SPEED AC
Price: US $18,500.00 Item location: Cape Coral, Florida, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Chevrolet
- Model: Camaro
- Type: 2 DR COUPE
- Trim: LT (Luxury Touring Coupe)
- Year: 1978
- Mileage: 69,796
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 5.7 Liter, 350 CI 4 bbl
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1978 Chevrolet Camaro LT (Luxury Touring Coupe)* 1978 CHEVROLET CAMARO LT * * TRUE SURVIVOR!! * * ONE OWNER, ONLY 69K MILES!! * * ALL ORIGINAL, NO ACCIDENTS!! ** 350 CI V8, 4-SPEED, FACTORY AC!! * * GUARANTEED ZERO RUST!! *
Before you and up for bid is my ALL ORIGINAL 1978 CHEVROLET CAMARO LT.
Please take the time to read the entire listing, as I will be very thorough in describing and summarizing the history of the car. This is for the benefit of all in order to make an informed and comfortable decision.
The particulars of this CAMARO LT coupe are as follows:
* On May 11, 1978, Greg Brissey of Downers Grove, IL. went to LONG Chevrolet in Elmhurst, IL. The following month, he would graduate HS, and later that summer would be off to college in CA. On this trip to LONG Chevrolet, his father would accompany him. The intended purpose of their visit to LONG would be the purchase/ordering of his first car...a new 1978 Chevrolet Camaro!
* Around this time, insurance companies had become "wise" as to which models in a manufacturers lineup were performance oriented, and as such, these models were subject to "risk" surcharge(s). An 18 year old with a Z28 would be no exception. With this rationale in mind, his father suggested an LT (luxury touring) model CAMARO, and for Greg to "check off" boxes on the upgrade/options order form, thus keeping the insurance company unsuspecting.
* The Camaro LT before you is the car that Greg ordered on 5/11/78. He took delivery of it on 7/15/78. He would matriculate to college a few weeks later and soon fall into the CA. lifestyle. This lifestyle would include a motorcycle, which in turn relegated the CAMARO to minimal use status.
* This CAMARO is a "true survivor". Survivor is a word that is loosely thrown about and too often ascribed to cars that are not survivors. NOT HERE...this car is a genuine "survivor"...through and through.
* Other than components which necessitated replacement given to time, wear or safety, this CAMARO LT is ALL ORIGINAL! It has NEVER been in an accident. It has never been driven in winter conditions, and therefore never subjected to winter corrosive agents. The CAMARO is guaranteed to have ZERO RUST!
* The car has always been garaged & pampered. A non-smoker car, no pets, no precocious poo-poo's.
* NO modifications or abuse...EVER! There are two additional SUN gauges in addition to the factory gauge pkg. They are mounted in the ash tray provision. (amperage and oil temp)
* Indoor climate control stored.
* The RED & ready paint is 95% original to the car and arguably the best color. The front urethane cover, (new for '78) and the rear spoiler are the exceptions.. There is no paint match distinction. The front cover was due to age splits/scuffs (Dupont panel bond repaired), the rear spoiler was added, it is new, and a GM licensed reproduction.
* At 40 years of age, the paint looks amazing! It has great depth and that "wet" look. I personally compounded it, wet sanded it, and between washing's, applied two applications of LIQUID GLASS to bring it to the luster you see.
Observe the pic where the newspaper can be read in the reflection.As beautiful as the paint is, it is not perfect, it is 40 years old and not without flaws.
* The CAMARO is entirely numbers matching. The 350 ci V8 engine has NEVER been out of the car. Original Rochester Quadrajet 4 bbl carb. In this configuration, the LT has only 10 hp less than a Z28. (170 hp) There are no annoying drips or leaks.
* Original radiator, the car runs very cool.
* The 4 -speed manual transmission is original to the car. The clutch is new. (under 100 miles) Silky smooth shifts throughout including reverse.
* Factory RALLYE wheels & trim rings, there is no curb rash. The spare is also a full size RALLYE wheel with the original GOODYEAR tire still mounted.
* All 4 tires are the same with approx. 50% tread wear remaining (UNIROYAL)
* Factory RALLYE sport suspension
* Factory original dual exhaust, nice note.
* Power steering
* Power disc brakes
* Factory Cruise Control, fully operational
* Factory AC equipped, it is presently inop. The original compressor appears to be frozen.
* Excellent heat/defrost, all fan speeds are operable, the rear defogger is factory and a blowing heater fan rather than an incased glass element.
* The interior is in excellent condition. I rate it a 9.0 out of 10. There is virtually NO wear to the seat upholstery...no splits, cracks or seam separations...front or rear.
* Excellent door panels, door handles, bezels
* Excellent headliner, functional dome light
* Excellent sun visors
* Excellent seat belts, no stains or fraying
* Excellent glove box w/operable courtesy light
* Excellent steering wheel, covered with NO cracks
* Very good carpet, original GM rubber floor mats (frt. & rr)
* All gaskets and weather stripping are soft & pliables
* All safety & convenience features are fully operational: lights, turn signals, reverse lights, wipers (intermittent), washer, horn (dual), lighter, etc.
* The clock tells the correct time twice each day!
* All buttons, switches, stalks and knobs are present with the only exception being the tuner knob for the PIONEER SUPER TUNER radio. The CAMARO was ordered radio delete, as Greg intended to install this particular stereo. It is an AM/FM/Cassette w/a CLARION EQ playing through rear mounted JENSEN 6x9's. (you remember 'em) I am trying to source a correct knob, this is proving more difficult than I imagined. I'll do my best.
* All glass is original to the car. (factory tinted) Both windows roll up and down properly.
* Door locks operate properly either manually or by key
* All gauges and monitor functioning lights are fully operational
* The dash has a slight heat wave/warp on the passenger side, (see pic.) It does not have cracks.
* All GM, CAMARO, and LT model designation emblems are present
* As an LT model, the headlight bezels, front signal bezels and rear 3 piece sections (left, right and fuel door) between the tail lights, were silver. I elected to swap these out with NOS black components as found on the Z28. I did not return the Camaro emblem to the grill, it will accompany the sale, as will all of the original bezels and the three rear panels.
* Excellent trunk carpet w/insulation pad.
* Original mud flaps, body side moldings., and door edge guards
* NO door sag, the hood and trunk lid open and close properly
* Very nice upper and lower grills, no breaks
* The car has a period "GILA" sun shade. For those not familiar, window tint was relatively unknown in the '70's. The GILA shades were made for numerous vehicles and form fitted to the rear window. Pops in, pops out for cleaning. It clearly worked great. as it entirely protected the rear panel shelf. There is no sun damage.
* In keeping with the originality, accompanying the sale will be the period ESCORT radar detector that was always there. This unit is among the first that were brought to market by Cincinnati Microwave, it mounts to the visor and operates fine. The cord is visible on the steering column.
* All original paperwork/copies, order form, purchase order, pre-delivery inspection, warranty form, warranty service decals, owners manual, dealer brochure, assorted operational pamphlets, and both sets of original keys will accompany the sale. I have to believe the build sheet is still somewhere in the car.
* Recent service includes new belts, hoses, filters, thermostat, fresh fluids (coolant, oil, differential gear) battery, tune up: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, brake service, aforementioned clutch (disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork) new headlights.
At 40 years of age the CAMARO LT is in remarkable ORIGINAL condition! It always garners nice compliments and receives the "thumbs up" wherever it goes.
It looks, starts, runs, drives and stops as it should. First turn of the key and it comes to life while proceeding to holding a smooth idle.
The steering is precise and tight, the car goes directly where you point it. There are no rattles, squeaks, shimmies or shakes.
A car can be restored 20 times...it is however, only original ONCE!
Collectors know...the best investment in the collector market is an unrestored original example. Preferably, a one owner car that is devoid of any accident history. This is such an example. NOT one family, not handed down to family members...one owner, one driver...period.
I own a HODGES HAULER. At the "buy it now" of $18,500.00, I will deliver the CAMARO anywhere in the lower 48 states.
You are bidding to purchase the CAMARO, not to be the first to "look at it." Thank you.
Inspections are welcome and encouraged. I will do my best to facilitate any inspection prior to the auction concluding.
Please have your funding in place prior to placing your bid. Thank you.
Please consult with your spouse, therapist, pet, or MAGIC 8-BALL prior to placing your bid, as I am not running a clinic for the confused.
The Camaro and I are presently located in S.W. Florida. (Naples, Ft. Myers vicinity)
Transportation and/or delivery are the sole responsibility of the buyer. If the CAMARO is sold to a high bidder without the delivery included, I will assist to coordinate the schedule/pick up with your chosen carrier.
In addition to the "buy it now", I have set a reasonable and fair reserve for the car. It is commensurate with the condition of the car, the history/provenance, equipment, and low miles. DO NOT ask me what the reserve is as I will not disclose it. Bid what you can afford and are willing to pay for the exemplary condition, all original and true survivor classic 1978 Chevrolet CAMARO LT 350, 4-speed, AC coupe that you see before you.
An initial payment of $1000.00 is due and payable via PayPal within 24 hours of auction close. NO exceptions.
The balance is to be paid within 7 days thereafter under condition and arrangement made between myself and the buyer.
The balance is to be paid via a legitimate bank to bank wire transfer, as it provides a documented record of the transaction for both parties. I will accept cash in person if it is accomplished within the 7 days of auction close window.
I do NOT accept PayPal for the entire transaction, only the initial $1000.00 payment.
I will accept a certified bank check, however, it must clear both my bank and yours prior to releasing the car.
Upon receipt of payment in full, I will overnight via FEDEX the title and bill of sale to the new owner.
Clear Colorado title...same name as on the purchase order in 1978. The title also denotes first ownership in 1978.
I am of the belief that the CAMARO could be driven home safely and confidently to anywhere in America. I would not hesitate to jump in it tonight and drive home to Colorado.
Given the age of the Camaro, by bidding you affirm and acknowledge your understanding that the CAMARO is being sold in "as is" condition with no expressed, written or otherwise implied warranties. I do maintain and guarantee that there is NO RUST.
If you are to fly in and drive home, I will gladly pick you up from the SW Florida International Airport (RSW) in Ft. Myers, or the regional airport in Punta Gorda.
If you are to fly in and drive home I will offer the option of hand delivering the purchase documents to you upon your arrival. If you need additional time to schedule travel arrangements, I can secure the car safely provided that it has been paid for in full.
*If you are "new" to ebay, have 0% feedback, negative feedback, over a year of inactivity on eBay (no feedback), or less than 15 eBay transactions, you will need to CALL ME prior to placing your bid and express your intentions. If you do not call me prior, your bid will be cancelled and you will be blocked from further bidding.
This is to preserve the integrity of the auction for the legitimate buyers. These auctions cost money, but more importantly time. I will not waste your time, please do not wast mine.
I am not a dealer. I am a collector/hobbyist. Since 2007, I have sold more than 30 of my personal vehicles through eBay. Almost all have had their expectations exceeded. Where collector cars are concerned, condition is open to interpretation.I have represented the CAMARO honestly and accurately. While not a trailer queen show car, the CAMARO is a very nice, very well preserved original example that can be driven anywhere with pride of ownership.
With that said, please have realistic expectations for a 40 year old automobile. Thank you.
eBay provides for only 24 pictures. I have selected pictures that best present a concise overview of the car. If you would like any area specific pictures, simply ask for them.
Buyers from the U.S., Canada, the UK, Europe, Russia, Australia, and New Zealand are welcome and encouraged to bid with confidence. If the car is to be sold to an international buyer, I am available for reasonable expenses to transport the Camaro with my aforementioned hauler to the requisite port.
I answer my phone quicker than I respond to e-mail, call me directly with any questions. If you reach voice mail, leave a brief message and contact number, and I will return your call promptly.
If you would like to discuss a "buy it now", call me and PRESENT your offer. DO NOT call and ask me, "what's the lowest that you'll take?"
I believe this CAMARO to be the best example for the money presently offered on eBay. There is a beautiful 1978 black Z28 with 14K miles ending tonight, it is in another class. Is it worth $33K? Only a buyer can determine that.
If there is a nicer, one owner, all original, fully documented, low mileage, comparably equipped 1978 CAMARO available for the money...buy it.
2nd gen Camaro's are now getting the respect they're due...get yourself a nice, original while they're still affordable.
Thanks for looking and good luck when you bid!