1970 Chevy Chevelle/Malibu Coupe
- Condition: Used
- Make: Chevrolet
- Model: Chevelle
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: Sport Coupe
- Year: 1970
- Mileage: 64,024
- VIN: 13637OL122872
- Color: Gold
- Engine size: 307
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Gold
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
1970 Chevy Chevelle/Malibu Two-Door Coupe
This is a one-family car, purchased new in 1970 at Jimmy Green Chevrolet in Houston by my wife’s mother. When she passed away in 2010, she left the car to my wife. With some exceptions noted below, it is a completely original, numbers-matching car. This car is in fantastic condition, with just over 64,000 original miles; service and tax records that support this original mileage have been retained.
Since 2003, it has been driven less than 4,000 miles. My wife wants to sell the car now because we seldom drive it, our heirs aren’t interested in owning it or able to maintain it properly, and it is just sitting in the garage. Time to move it on.
- original glove-box owner’s manual
- build sheet
- current Texas inspection and registration good through March 2017
It has the 200-HP 307 V8 engine and 2-speed Powerglide transmission.
The following work has been done on the car in recent years:
- complete repaint in 2009, in the original factory gold. There are a few difficult to see spots that were rubbed by the guy who replaced the interior, but they are hard to notice and the paint is otherwise in very good condition.
- new rubber weather strip in the trunk in 2009
- original steel wheels were replaced in 2009 with OPG chrome Rally wheels and Goodyear RWL tires. The original wheels are still on-site and come with the car.
- carpet, seat covers, package tray, and door panels were replaced in 2010. The original dashboard and headliner are still in the car and are in great shape.
- new trunk mat in 2010.
- new KYB gas shocks in 2010.
- new gas tank in 2015
- original front drum brakes were replaced in 2009 with power disc brakes. At that time, the original front spindles were replaced with 2-inch drop spindles.
- less than 8,000 miles on replacement of stock ignition points with an electronic unit.
- less than 8,000 miles on replacement of all four springs and upper and lower control arm bushings.
Everything not mentioned above is original other than usual wear-and-tear and maintenance items.
The 307 engine has not been rebuilt and does not need to be. It is tight, runs great, and does not smoke. The carburetor was rebuilt about 15 years ago. If driven at least once a week the car starts quickly when cold; if driven less frequently, the fuel in the float bowl will evaporate; a shot of starting spray will help it fire right up without excessive cranking.
The PG transmission is original and has not been rebuilt. If the car is driven at least every other week the tranny does not leak, but if it sits still long enough for the fluid to drain down it will leak fluid; so, expect to replace the pan gasket. It upshifts and downshifts as appropriate to speeding up and slowing down; the exception is that it does not “kick down” when you want to accelerate hard in Drive; kick-down linkage is apparently not assembled correctly.
If you want a car like this in perfect condition, this isn't it. You’ll have pay a boatload of $$ for a restored car or to have this one restored. It would be a good candidate for that; there is some surface rust here and there but no rust-through or rot. It is a very solid car.
If you don’t care to restore it and just want a real nice car that can be a hit at local car shows or even be a daily driver, it doesn’t need much:
- It still has the original R-12 A/C system which has leaked out, and R-12 refrigerant seems to now be unavailable. So, upgrade to an R-134 system seems in order. Blower motor was replaced by a local shop in 2009.
- The original AM-only radio does not work. Last we looked the fuse was OK, so don’t know if there is a bad connection or fault in the radio. Plenty of upgraded sound systems with retro-look facades are available online.
- Power steering works fine with no noises, but has a very slow leak. The hoses leaked badly but were replaced a few years ago, so suspect that there’s a seep in a seal on the unit itself.
In addition to this eBay listing, we plan to list the car for sale locally, and reserve the right to end this auction at any time and with no obligation for sale to the high bidder.
A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required from the winning bidder via PayPal within 48 hours of the close of the auction. So, if you don’t have a PayPal account, please don’t bid.
If a PayPal deposit is not made by the winner within 48 hours of the auction'sconclusion, we will relist the car.
Balance of payment must be received in cash within 7 days of the deposit being made; if not, we will relist the car.
Car is available for local pickup...drive it home! If you win and need to have it shipped,we will cooperate as necessary with your shipper, butwill not be responsible for making arrangements to ship the car or to pay for same.
If any questions, please let us know.
Thanks for looking!