1977 Chevrolet Corvette L-82 700r4
- Condition: Used
- Make: Chevrolet
- Model: Corvette
- Type: Coupe
- Year: 1977
- Mileage: 133,900
- VIN: 1Z37X75431572
- Color: Black
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Transmission: Automatic
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1977 Chevrolet CorvetteI have owned the car since 1989, it was purchased in Michigan. I have spoken to all the previous owners of the vehicle. It was originally sold out of a dealer in Ohio and has remained in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area for all of its life, prior to coming to Tennessee. The car was purchased with 53,000 miles on it. Currently the odometer reads 133,900. The car was stored October to April and was very rarely driven in the rain. It is a factory L-82/Turbo 400 black on black Corvette, looks to have been built in April of 1977.
Since I have owned the car it has never been in a major accident. The nose was grazed while it was still, which caused very minor damage and needed a new bumper. An original GM part was used. A previous owner told me the passenger door was damaged a long time ago but its original skin was repaired.
In the 26 years that I have owned the car there has been a lot done to it. Below are details of repairs/modifications that were done:
- The car does not have its original engine. It was replaced in the early 80’s at a Chevy dealership with a crate engine. The current engine casting number is 14016379.
- The engine was rebuilt in 1991 with cast flat top pistons, mechanical cam, high volume oil pump. It currently has a set of port and polished L98 Corvette aluminum cylinder heads.
- Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold.
- Demon 750cfm vacuum secondary carburetor – currently without choke.
- HEI distributor
- 1 5/8” headers
- 2 ½” custom exhaust system with crossover tube
- Flowmaster three chamber mufflers
- The car was factory equipped with a Turbo 400 3 speed automatic. I replaced it with a 700r4 4 speed automatic.
- The transmission was custom built by Mike Riddings (Riddings Automatics) and a custom high stall torque convertor was installed.
- A Bowtie Overdrive mounting plate was used on the factory cross member
- Factory shifter was modified with an 82 Corvette indicator and clearanced to allow first gear access.
- The lock up torque convertor is functional.
- External cooler added.
- Front Pump replaced and torque convertor rebuilt Spring of 2016. Torque convertor had additional upgrades installed. Rest of transmission inspected and diagnosed ok.
- Rear axle output shafts replaced.
- U joints replaced.
- Driveshaft shortened and rebalanced when transmission was installed.
- Axle shafts replaced
- Wheel bearings replaced
- Vette Brakes o ring stainless steel calipers.
- Hydratech Braking hydroboost conversion
- Emergency brake hardware and cable has been removed.
- Front suspension completely rebuilt around 85,000 miles.
- Rear spring replaced
- Vette Brakes adjustable strut rods installed
- Vette Brakes polyurethane differential bushing installed
- KYB GR-2 shocks
- Power steering lines replaced 2015
- Frame is solid with no soft spots. The rust shown in the photo gallery is just scale.
- Rear body mounts (#4) sheet metal cage needs to be replaced. These are in the wheel well and are easy to get at.
- Footwell cage area around body mount (#2) is clean with no rot.
- Falken Sincera 225/7015 installed March 2015.
- Car was repainted in 1993
- Nose was repainted in 1997 when front bumper was replaced.
- Car was originally equipped with a luggage rack, but it was removed and the holes filled. It is not included with the car.
- Paint has numerous spots where it has bubbled due to a reaction with the primer from PPG.
- Windshield was replaced in 2005, no signs of post rot were present.
- Seats recovered in 1994
- Front carpet replaced 2015
- Factory Delco radio converted to digital tuning and MP3 aux input. External amplifier drives removable box speakers in rear storage compartment.
- Heater core replaced 2015
- A/C converted to R134
What does the car need?
- Replace the shocks, the fronts are a little soft.
- Paint – The car needs a strip and repaint to looks its best.
- HVAC has pinched line – restricting airflow to main blend door.
- Trans has small leak – from initial inspection it is the speedo cable drive input in the tailshaft of the transmission.
What comes with the car?
- Original transmission & assorted parts
- Original carb
- Original air cleaner
- Original rams horn exhaust manifolds
- Misc engine/ignition/trim parts
- 2x 15” Corvette rally wheels with tires
- Original t top bags
- Car cover
- Service manuals, wiring diagrams
- Service history
- Photo history of the car
- The original spare and jack is still on the car.
- The transmission conversion was done using the original crossmember.
- No significant modifications were done to alter the originality of the car, that are not easily reversed.
- Headlights operate normally.
A video walkaround is available here:
The car is located 25 miles south of Nashville TN. $500 deposit via Paypal at end of sale will be required. I will work with seller to ship vehicle if necessary. Please feel free to email me with any questions, happy to talk on the phone if need be. Car is currently available for sale locally and is open for inspection.