1991 BMW E31 850i V12 Excellent Condition Well Maintained
Price: - Item location: Elgin, Illinois, United States
- Make: BMW
- Model: 8-Series
- Type: Coupe
- Year: 1991
- Mileage: 205663
- VIN: WBAEG2312MCB72245
- Color: Black
- Engine size: 5.0 liter V12
- Number of cylinders: 12
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows, Power Seats
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Safety options: Anti-Lock Brakes
- Options: CD Player, Leather Seats, Sunroof
- Vehicle Title: Clean Want to buy? Contact seller!
1991 BMW 8-SeriesPreface
Please watch the videos and look at the pictures and let me know if I can answer any questions.
Playlist Link (copy and paste into your browser):https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAcZiD2dgvFxxvEvmwMm7Nju3yCKGpxES
0) This is not a perfect / all original / collector car. This is a car for someone who wants to drive it.1)There are no codes/faults in the computer and no warning lights on the dash. The car starts, idles and runs perfectly and pulls strong (see videos).2) There is NO RUST on the car.3) The car has been repainted (and the color was changed). The original color was Calypso Red Metallic. The current color is Black. The car was professionally repainted by AutoArt in Glenview, IL. All surfaces were prepped and painted Black EXCEPT the engine compartment and the inside of the trunk. Their work is guaranteed for the life of the car.4) A few years ago, the heater core started leaking so I had it bypassed and blown out with compressed air. The Heater Core is still on the car, in case you want to replace it.5) As you will see in the pictures, I have installed Custom Leatherette Seat Covers (from Seat Covers Unlimited) on the front seats. I understand that you may be wondering about the condition of the seats underneath the covers. I can assure you that they are both in very good condition. There are no rips or tears and they are very comfortable. There are however, some minor surface scratches (more on the passenger seat) which is why I bought the covers. I wanted to protect the seats from additional wear and also wanted to improve the 'Black and Tan' look of the interior. Please also know that these are 'custom' seat covers. They were made by hand when I ordered them and they are very tight-fitting, durable and comfortable. These are not 'cheap' seat covers however, if you do not like them, you can always remove them.6) The car was not detailed before taking the pictures so the carpets do have some dirt on them which will easily come off with a quick vacuum / wash.7) I have two keys and some spare parts that I will include.
- There are some cracked plastic seat parts (see pictures/video)
- There is an area on the back seat that has been sewed/repaired(see pictures/video)
- The plastic trim piece around the shift lever is loose
- The gear position indicator does not show the proper gear on the gear lever itself however, it does in the instrument cluster
- There is a small chip/crack on the driver's side (Red) tail light
Note: I keep all the receipts for repairs and parts and will include them along with the service history.
========================== MOST RECENT REPAIRS ON 5/20/2020 ============================
VEHICLE ISSUE #1: CUSTOMER STATES STEERING PUMP IS NOISYTECH REPORT: THE PUMP NEEDS TO BE OVERHAULED.ACTION: REMOVED STEERING PUMP AND REPLACED ALL SEALS. ASSEMBLED AND BLED SYSTEM.RESULT: THE PUMP IS QUIET.
VEHICLE ISSUE #2: CUSTOMER STATES FUEL GAUGE IS READING EMPTY AT ALL TIMES.TECH REPORT: CHECKED FUEL GAUGE SENSOR CIRCUITS AND SENSORS. FOUND LEFT SENSOR RESISTANCE IS INFINITE, INDICATING A FAILED SENSOR.ACTION: REPLACED LEFT FUEL LEVEL SENSOR WITH PART SUPPLIED BY CUSTOMER.RESULT: THE FUEL GAUGE WORKS PROPERLY
VEHICLE ISSUE #3: CUSTOMER STATES PASSENGER SEAT TWISTS AND DOES NOT MOVE FORWARD.TECH REPORT: REMOVED SEAT AND ATTEMPTED TO REPAIR. THE SEAT RAIL GEAR IS STRIPPED. THE RAIL WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED.ACTION: CUSTOMER ORDERED USED SEAT RAIL AND IT WAS INSTALLED.RESULT: THE PASSENGER SEAT NOW MOVED FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS AS EXPECTED.
VEHICLE ISSUE #4: CUSTOMER STATES DRIVER'S DOOR WILL NOT STAY OPEN.TECH REPORT: THE DOOR BRAKE IS BROKEN.ACTION: REMOVED AND REPLACED DRIVER'S DOOR BRAKE. REPLACED BURNED OUT ILLUMINATION BULB WHILE PANEL WAS REMOVED.RESULT: THE DRIVER'S DOOR STAYS OPEN AS EXPECTED.
Tires (good tread on all 4)
Front - Continental Extreme Contact DWSRear - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
"M-PAR, staggered" setup - Genuine OEM M-PAR Staggered 18"
Note: Installed by ABT Electronics in Glenview, IL
- Head Unit:Kenwood Navigation Double-Din with Backup Camera installed
- Front Speakers: JL Audio 3-way
- Rear Speakers: JL Audio 2-way
- Sub: 8" JL Audio in a custom sealed enclosure between the rear seats.Note: I still have the first aid box that was in between the rear seats and will include it.
- Amplifier: Hertz 5-channel
*This is not the kind of sound system that will turn heads from blocks away. It is what is known as a SQ or Sound Quality system. Even with all of the windows open at 100 MPH, you can still hear everything clearly. As you can see in the pictures, in order to fit the double-din head unit, plastic fabrications/modifications were made to the center dash panel/console and the on-board computer (the display on this was refurbished a few years ago by German Auto Recycling of Riverside, CA a few years ago and there are no bad pixels) was moved down to between the seats.
Transmission / Drive Line / Rear End (Differential)
The transmission was completely rebuilt by Total Driveline Experts of Illinois in 2016 (at a cost of $4200). All major components were inspected, repaired and/or replaced to ensure perfect performance. Everything works as it should, including 'E", 'S' and 'M' modes. The transmission mounts were replaced.There is also a Dinan chip in the TCC (Transmission Control Computer) which improves shift points for performance.
The drive (prop) shaft was replaced in 2014.
The stock differential was replaced with a 3.91 Limited Slip Differential from a 1992 BMW M5. This work was also done byTotal Driveline Experts of Illinois in 2016. This was done to improve the 0-60 acceleration. The car now accelerates like a much lighter vehicle and is about 1 second faster to 60 MPH than it was before the change was made.
The headliner was replaced in 2015by AutoArt in Glenview, IL, along with the A and C pillar covers. In addition,some of the other interior trim was dyed to match. The parcel shelf was also redone to match the headliner. A faux-Alcantera material was used.
The sunroof was completely rebuilt with all new parts (about $1500 in parts alone) in 2019. It now functions like new, including the pop-up feature.When this was done, I did not replace the fabric on the underside of the metal roof panel.
There are Wokke V2 chips in the engine and (as mentioned above) there is a performance chip in the transmission. There is no performance chip EML. This is because of the 'sensitive throttle issue' that can occur if a chip is added to the EML.
The mufflers are Magnaflow. The center resonator was removed and a stainless steel Borla X-Pipe was put in its place (to give the car a much better sound).
New Bosch batteries, Bosch alternator, coils, wires, plugs, etc. within the last 2 years. New turn signal relay.
New BEHR radiator, reservoir and cap, hoses, within the last 4 years.
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs in the high and low beams.
The car has been lowered about 1.5 inches (to improve handling) using Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs Front & Rear. All mounts have been replaced as needed. All control arms have been replaced as needed. All stabilizers have been replaced as needed. All bushings have been replaced as needed. All tie rod assemblies have been replaced as needed.
Performance One Disks with Green Brake Pads on all 4 wheels. The brake fluid was flushed in 2019. All ABS sensors were also checked and cleaned as needed.
The Power Steering pump was rebuilt in April of 2020. The Brake Booster system was also flushed and all gaskets were replaced.
Here is a list of the things I have replaced and/or repaired (as needed);
Misc Repairs / Additions