1978 BMW 316 e21 Turbo'd Project - 5 speed
Price: US $3,000.00 Item location: Waynesboro, Virginia, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: BMW
- Model: 3-Series
- Trim: e21 Turbo Project
- Year: 1978
- Mileage: 1
- VIN: 883926
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1978 BMW 3-Series e21 Turbo ProjectThis is a 1978 BMW 316 that was imported from Germany to the US by a service person. I purchased this car with plans to return it to a carb'd car and move the turbo bits to my 2002, but as car projects often go, I'm realizing I won't be able to make this happen.
The previous owner that added the turbo had also cleaned up the body, repaired the rust, and painted it in a flat black.
Here is a photo album of 100ish photos, the beginning ones show the car as it sits in my storage currently, and then there are photos of the work the PO did (not in any order though)
The car was last started and running in 2012, when it was put in storage again due to military moves. I have not tried to start it since I've had it, but here is a video of it at idle in 2012 from the PO.
As you can see, the interior is stripped out.
- Door cards and such are in the trunk but there is no carpet or e21 front seats (just the fixed racing seats that are not attached)
- It is a 5 speed transmission, but I believe it is an open diff.
- There is no windshield, but a local shop said they could install a new one for ~$280, or I know of a person near DC that will sell the one out of their parts car.
- The dash is in the trunk and has had the cover removed from it by the PO. (apparently the vinyl was badly torn and he had plans to flock or recover it)
- Many of the stock parts and additional aftermarket ones are in the totes/boxes in the car.
- Turbo is a Borg Warner K03 with an Audi intercooler
- Megasquirt 2 engine mgmt
- Innovate LC1 exhaust temp probe
- Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS4)
This would be a great donor car for someone wanting to do a 5 speed and maybe a small turbo build on a 2.0 M10 =D (please send me pictures and videos if you do realize my dream for me!!) Or you could keep it as is and finish putting the interior back together.
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them or provide additional photos.
$300 deposit due at auction end, balance due upon pickup, within 10 days of auction ending.
Car can be viewed in person, just send me a message.Pickup for the car will be in Waynesboro, VA 22980