1986 BMW 635csi - Very Original Car - Black on Black
- Condition: Used
- Make: BMW
- Model: 6-Series
- Type: Coupe
- Year: 1986
- Mileage: 158,000
- VIN: WBAEC8401G0612303
- Color: Black
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1986 BMW 6-SeriesI am selling a very original, unmolested 1986 BMW 635csi in the stunning black on black color combination.
I am the third owner. This car spent the majority of its life in Texas and was owned by an airplane pilot who took impeccable care of the car as evidenced by the stack of service records I have (see photos). Clean Car Fax.
Car Details (per BMW Vin Decoder)
|Type||635 CSI (USA)|
|Dev. series||E24 ()|
|Upholstery||SCHWARZ LEDER (0203)|
|201||3 FAHRPROGRAMME F.4-GANG-AUTOM|
|290||BMW LM-RAEDER 7JX15,225/55R15V|
|459||SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY|
|481||SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER|
|551||ON-BOARD COMPUTER II W REMOTE CONTROL|
I am selling because I bought a 1975 BMW 2002 and want to focus on restoring that. I have done a good deal of work on this car already, which is listed below, along with a list of the work I think the car could still use.
If you are looking at this you probably know all about the 635, if not, here is a short overview of what is probably the best looking coupe BMW (or any car company) has ever made.
The E24 was a replacement for theCS and CSLcoupés first produced in 1965. The 3.0CS was almost changed by adding a few centimeters in height to make it easier for customers to get into the car. However,Bob Lutzrebelled against the decision and rough drafted an alternative version that soon became the 6 series.Production started in March 1976 with two models: the 630CS and 633CSi. Originally the bodies were manufactured byKarmann, but production was later taken in-house to BMW.
In July 1978 a more powerful variant, the 635CSi, was introduced (for the time being not available in North America and Japan) that featured as standard a special close-ratio 5-speed gearbox and a single piece black rear spoiler. The bigger bore and shorter stroke facilitated max 218hp at 5200rpm and a better torque curve. For the first year, the 635CSi was offered in three colors (Polaris, Henna Red, Graphite), and could also be spotted by the front air dam that did not have attached fog lights. These simple cosmetic changes reportedly worked to reduce uplift on the car at high speeds by almost 15% over the non-spoiler body shape. This early model shared suspension components with the inaugural BMW 5-series, the E12.
In 1979 the carburetted 630CS was replaced with the 628CSi; this car had a fuel injected 2.8L engine taken from the BMW 528i.
In 1980 the 635CSi gained the central locking system that is also controlled from the trunk. Also, the E24 body style converted from L-jetronic injection to a Bosch Motronic DME.
In 1982 (Europe) and 1983 (US), the E24 changed slightly in appearance, with an improved interior and slightly modified exterior. At the same time, the 635CSi received a new engine, a slightly smaller-bored and longer-stroked 3430 cc six to replace the former 3453 cc engine and became available with a wide-ratio5-speed manualor anautomatic.
- All original - original paint has normal wear and tear you would expect, chips, etc. Still looks very good though - see photos which also show up close the chips
- Engine runs great
- Fun to drive
- Tons of service records dating back to new
- Original manuals
- Following work I had done at a very respected Philadelphia BMW shop (VAC Motorsports) - have all receipts for over $5,600 of work done! - Replaced brake accumulater, replaced drive belt, new tie rod assemblies, new hood strut, new center link, new idler arm, replaced the driver seat motorized parts ($850 fix). New pitman arm, New sway bar link, New control arms w/ bushings, new battery
- Interior in really nice condition - new plush Lloyds floor mats, leather looks great, carpet is nice, headliner in good shape
- Tires and BBS rims look great! (missing one center cap, trying to locate from BBS)
- Needs fan clutch
- New dash (or dash cover) - has a few cracks but perfectly ok as is
- Rear fuel lines could use replacing
- Steering hose needs replacement - leaks slightly
- Brake flush and look into anti lock braking system, appears to be down
- Odometer broken, need to replace gears - mileage reads 139k actual is approx. 158k
- A good detailing
One more thing that needs attention that I just noticed is that the central locking system needs some attention. acts funny. nothing too major.