Beautifully Restored 1967 Red Austin Healey 3000 MK III Phase II BJ 8 Roadster
- Condition: Used
- Make: Austin Healey
- Model: 3000
- SubModel: BJ8
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: red
- Year: 1967
- Mileage: 55,000
- VIN: HBJ8L-38676
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 6 cylinder
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: 2 wd
- Interior color: Black
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
Beautifully Restored 1967 Red Austin Healey 3000 MK III, hase II, J 8, oadster
(Last year of the big Healeys, hich makes it one of the most desirable models/years to invest in and collect)
Appeared on a 2012 sports car market"buy" list as a car that was then worth more than $70K and described as an excellent investment for tomorrow. The car has been shown twice and won First in Classand a Bronze Concours Medal at the 2014 Austin Healey Conclave at the Homestead in West Virginia.
Throughout the years, he Austin Healey retained its original look: softly rounded lines, val grille and a long hood and short rear deck. Healeys are one of the most attractive sports cars with a style and appearance still pleasing to the eye today.
Starting with a four cylinder 100/4 in 1953, ustin Healeys changed to six cylinder power in late 1956 with the first 100/6. The 300 MK I first debuted in 1959, he MK II in 1961 and the first of the MK IIIs in 1964. The MK IIs differed from their predecessor in the front with a new radiator grille design that incorporated vertical bars in place of the previous horizontal design, nd under the hood with three SH HS4 carburetors, hat boosted output from 124 to 132 bhp.
The MK IIIs employed a rugged and highly successful 150 hp six-cylinder engine. The additional horsepower climbed due to cam, alve, nd exhaust system tweaks. The rugged MK III six-cylinder engine has been proved through millions of miles of owner use and numerous rally and racing victories in the US and Europe.
MK IIIs incorporated a number of mechanical improvements. The overhead-valve six-cylinder gained a new camshaft design and stronger valve springs, long with SU HD8 two-inch throat carburetors. A new dual exhaust system with an extra muffler at the rear was in keeping with the emphasis on passenger comfort. Servo brakes became standard and the transitional push-button starter gave way to key start. The transmission was supplied with new ratios, ut still had an unsynchronized first gear. The walnut-veneered dashboard now housed an electric tachometer and a 140-mph speedometer.
Other interior changes included Ambla seating material (it is black), he equivalent of leatherette. A center console included a padded armrest became standard and door pockets were eliminated. A small rear seating area featured a two-piece seat back that could be folded forward into a handy package tray. In keeping with market demands, oll-up windows had superseded the traditional side curtains, hereby broadening the car's appeal as a vehicle for a daily commute,yet still a very competitive for a weekend ofvintage racing.
MK III, hase II, J8 cars were the ultimate Healeys. They included even more changes than the earlier MK II BJ8s. The chassis members under the rear axle were improved; six-leaf rear springs were now standard and the Panhard rod was removed. Wire wheel hubs now had coarser threads and the front sidelamps gained larger lenses, ventually changing to a set of four lenses for separate parking/directional indicators.
THE HEALEY BEING OFFERED
This Healey is a striking example of the most sought after Healey-- the Austin Healey 3000 MK III Phase II BJ8 Roadster inred. It is the last year for the BJ8 Healey, aking it the most collectable of the Healeys. It is also a numbers matching car.
The car has undergone a complete restoration, s garaged year-round, nly taken out on sunny weekends, nd has driven in the rain once. Just once.
The previous owner had it for more than 30 years, nd I have had it for two. Together we have made the following restorations:
- Entire brake system was replaced, ncluding the booster.
- An electronic ignition system was installed just under the passenger dash.
- The electrical ground was switched over to negative ground from the original positive ground (that was the only way the electronic ignition could be installed).
- The fuel pump looks original, ut it is a solid-state system to avoid the problems of the original design.
- The spokes of the wire wheels are polished stainless steel to look like the original chrome spokes. They are stainless to prevent rusting as the chrome were prone to do.
- The rear-end gears have been upgraded to the 3.54:1 ratio, aking highway driving less wearing on the motor and driver.
- The new silencer system is stainless steel, hich means itsounds and weathersbetter.
- The cooling system has been upgraded with a 6-blade fan, new radiator core, oses and routine flushing. Wetter water agent is added to antifreeze as well.
- Racing style wing mirrors were added.
- Insulated floor and transmission tunnel to improve cockpit comfort on warm days.
- Rockers were re-bushed, ut the rest of the engine tested out to be very strong, ue to the low mileage, o it was left alone.
- Replaced oil filter assembly with spin-on from Moss Motors.
- Enhanced air cleaner canisters were added, gain to improve aesthetics.
- All weather stripping replaced
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WERE REBUILT OR REPLACED:
- Entire electrical system and wiring
- Entire brake system
- Fuel system, ncluding gas tank, uel pump, nd carburetors
- Transmission, verdrive, rive shaft and rear end
- Glass windows and rear screen
- Entire suspension, heels, ires, heel bearings, prings, and springs and king pins
- Stripped and repainted all panels down to the sub-frame
- Rubber seals and trim.
- Interior panels, ront seats, arpeting, urled wood dash panel and radio: The dash was totally replaced with a high-end dash panel purchased in the UK. There are no cracks in the dash wood.
- Boot has been redone with a high-quality stay fast material
- Entire exhaust (silencer) system: this is an upgraded stainless steel system in excellent condition. The sound coming out of the exhaust is like music to one's ears, specially as you drive down the road shifting through gears.
- Steering wheel
- Tonneau cover, onvertible top, oot cover, nd storage bags for each: The black stay-fast/canvas convertible top is an upgrade from the original vinyl. The tonneau cover (with reinforcing bar), hat covers the entire cockpit area, ooks new.
- Four new 18" tires and chrome wire wheels
According to the previous owner the car has 54,000 actualmiles.
The car still sports the original classic black "banjo" style wheel.
As you can see from the photos, he engine compartment and related components have all been restored and are ready for show. Austin Healey green paint covers the engine and valve cover (a chrome valve cover comes with the car).
The car runs very smooth, ith no hesitation, nd everything on the car is 100% functional and there is no rust. This car has been meticulously cared for-- painted, ashed, axed and detailed.
Included with the car: car jack, aintenance books, xtra keys, he original oil filter canister system, he original rear end,boot cover, ar cover, attery cover, nd spinner wrench.
The car takes premium only and has overdrive transmission.
MANY MORE PICS ON THE WAY
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS DON'T HESITATE TO CALL TROY @ CELL 423-367-8675.
BUYER RESPONSIBLE FOR SHIPPING
WINNING BIDDER IS REQUESTED TO WIRE $5000 USD DOWN PAYMENT TO SELLER'S BANK ACCOUNT