1965 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 MK III Sports Convertible
- Condition: Used
- Make: Austin Healey
- Model: 3000
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: BJ8 MKIII Sports Convertible
- Year: 1965
- Mileage: 60,733
- VIN: HBJ8L30063
- Color: Colorado Red
- Engine size: 2,912 cc overhead valve inline six-cylinder engine
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: Convertible, Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1965 Austin Healey 30001965 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 MK III Sports Convertible
Built from 1963 to 1967, the BJ8 was the final version of the big Healey sixes. Fitted with twin two-inch SU HD8 carbonators, the BJ8’s six-cylinder engine produces 150 hp (compared to the132-134 hp in the prior mode, the BJ7) and 173 foot-pounds of torque.
The MK III also received a revised exhaust system designed toclear a low speed bump without damaging the car, a fix toa problem that had plagued Austin Healeys since 1953. Passenger accommodations include roll-up side windows ( introduced on the BJ7 three years earlier) and a luxuriously trimmed interior with a wood-faced dashboard and center console. Under the hood, a previously optional vacuum brake booster for the front disc and rear drum brakes was made standard on all BJ8 models.
This specific BJ8 is aBritish Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT) certified matching numbers car. It is finished in its stunning original color, Colorado Red, and two stage urethane was used in two separate paint applications to give the color extreme depth and luster.
The car was received a complete and comprehensive ground-up restoration by Healey Lane of Riverside, California. All technical systems – including the entire drivetrain, fuel system, electrical system, stainless steel exhaust system, suspension and brakes – were rebuilt or replaced as necessary. The interior was fitted with a refinished walnut dash, rebuilt original gauges, new Amblacovered seats with chrome piping, and black carpets. A new windshield was installed, as were five chrome wheels. The car comes complete with a full complement of tools, including a new spare tire hammer.
Total mileage is 60,733, with the car being driven only approximately 200 miles since restoration (to test and debug the vehicle). It has spent the majority of its life in California, Arizona and Florida.
Full photo documentation of the restoration, original service documents, and the original driver’s handbook are included with the sale of the car.
This vehicle is eligible to be sold and shipped internationally.Specifications:
- Chassis number: H-BJ8-L/30063
- Engine number: 29K-RU-H/4789
- Body Number: 74889
- Color: Colorado Red
- Build date: November 20-23 of 1964
- Dispatch date: December 18, 1964 (to USA)
- 150 hp
- 2,912 cc overhead valve inline six-cylinder engine
- four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive
- independent front suspension and rear live axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs
- Front disc and rear drum brakes
- Wheelbase: 92″
Restoration completed March 2007 by Tom Rocke of Healey Lane Restorations
- 2-stage urethane paint process used for original Colorado Red color
- Rebuilt transmission and engine using all new parts
- Grade 5 original fasteners, nuts and bolts
- New chrome wire wheels, 60 spokes with original brass chromed knockoffs
- New brakes, brake lines, master cylinder
- New steering components, seals and joints
- New clutch
- New stainless steel exhaust system
- Re-cored new radiator with Hayden cooling fan system
- Refurbished original steering wheel
- New cloth covered wire harness
- Refurbished gas tank with lifetime warranty from Renuzit
- New battery
- All new interior from Austin Healey Spares (England): Ambla covered seats with chrome piping and Black English wool carpet kit
- All new chrome and cad platted components
- New windshield glass, door glass, and window rubber
- New suspension
- New shocks in front, new spring componenets in rear
- Complete new rubber kit installed
- Original heavy gauge rechromed bumpers
- Walnut dash with rebuilt original gauges, calibrated and certified by Palo Alto speedometer.
- New convertible hood with fitted hood bag
- All new lighting components, gauge bulbs, halogen headlights, brake lights, turn signals
- New trunk kit installed with wire wheel spare tire
For a prompt response to all questions and inquiries, please call:
Kim Baker413 329 0214
Note: this vehicle is also being sold locally, and as such as reserve the right to end this auction early.