1985 Audi Coupe GT - Rare and Unmolested, White/Blue, Manual, A/C, No Reserve!
Price: - Item location: Marietta, Georgia, United States
- Make: Audi
- Model: Coupe
- SubModel: GT
- Type: Coupe
- Year: 1985
- Mileage: 134800
- VIN: WAUBD0852FA052128
- Color: White
- Number of cylinders: 5
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: FWD
- Interior color: Blue
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: Cassette Player, Sunroof
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1985 Audi CoupeThe auction is for a rare 1985 Audi Coupe GT, a vehicle named Sportscar of the Year by Car & Driver in 1985. I purchased this vehicle on eBay in July and had it shipped here to the Atlanta area. The seller had provided few specifics about the car's condition, with outdated photos. I decided to take a chance on it anyway, and will do my best to provide all the good and bad that I found after purchasing. I am selling the car because my son needed us to store his vehicle while he is deployed in the Army, and now I have no room for this one. Given the scarcity of these vehicles, I will probably regret selling it someday...
The car is registered here in Georgia, and I have a clear title in hand.
My goal with the car, if I kept it, was to bring it back to original condition. When the Audi arrived here last summer I took it in into a local Audi specialist (one that regularly works with 80's/90's Audis) to have it thoroughly checked out. All of the neglected services were performed & many items were repaired and replaced at a cost of $3,186. (Receipts included with sale)- New Front Wheel Bearing- Replaced Passenger Side CV Boot and Tie Rod End- New Front Brake Pads and Rotors- New Sway Bar Links- Replace Upper Strut Mount Bushings- Charge A/C System (Still holding the charge)- Replace Shift Lever Bushings- New Oxygen Sensor- Replace Driver's Side Door Handle- Replace Oil Sender Switch AND Brake Vacuum Pump Gasket- Fresh Oil Change
THE GOOD:- Car is straight and basically rust free. It came with an Arizona title and definitely appears to have been out west most of its life. (The only visible rust I have seen is where both rear wheel wheels appear to have suffered some sort of low speed collision & the dented areas have formed surface rust that can be seen in pics.)
- Suspension is tight, car still handles admirably. Alignment is good, great cornering.- Mechanically sound if not perfect - I would feel comfortable driving it on a 500 mile trip.
- Paint is still in serviceable condition, but would need to be painted to be perfect.- Most of the original parts are still attached (but not all of them.)- Sunroof works and removes easily to store in trunk.- Stock radio/cassette is working.- Dash is not cracked and in good shape, other than residue from dash cover adhesive.- Original wheels all present, with new OEM Audi center caps. (Will need refinishing at some point.)- All lights work.- A/C is cold, heat is hot.- Passenger side power window works. Instrument cluster lights up, gauges above shifter function.- Original Audi floor mats look aged, but have really stood the test of time.- Nice headliner.
- Fun to Drive, Everybody smiles when they see it.
THE BAD:- Exhaust manifold has a crack and needs to be replaced or welded. The good news: once the engine heats up, you can no longer hear it.- Very slow steering rack leak. (1-2 ounces of fluid per month at the most, doesn't seem to be getting worse)- Driver's side window does not go down: the driver's side door is missing the entire power window hardware. (Something that was not disclosed when I bought it.) Will need to be sourced and replaced for window to function.
- Odometer doesn't work. (No idea how many miles it really has - but I doubt it's more than 150k or so.)- Missing front lower grill inserts.- Missing interior trim: door lock actuator cover, outside cap for driver and passenger seats, plastic cover over passenger side mirror, driver and passenger side map pockets.
- Ash tray lid is broken.- Fabric of passenger seat bolster and center of rear seat bottom cushion torn.
- Passenger side seat won't tilt forward to let in rear passenger.
- Telescopic manual antenna is broken off (have been listening to mp3's with cassette adaptor)- There is light denting and scraping around the bumper line of the car... looks like it was parked in a grocery parking lot regularly.- Clutch pedal is a little squishy, but functions fine with no slipping. My mechanic did not think it needed service in August.
Overall, considering this is an Audi from over 30 years ago, it's very solid. Many of the missing parts are purely cosmetic, and only matter if you are wanting to restore this Coupe GT to its original condition like I did.
The reserve is set very low because I need the space in the garage... To the right person, someone searching for an original post facelift (1985+) coupe GT with a manual transmission, this is the bargain of the century.