1972 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 Barn Find - original condition
Price: US $4,500.00 Item location: Portland, Oregon, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Alfa Romeo
- Model: Spider
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1972
- Mileage: 24,392
- VIN: AR3040272
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 2000
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: Cassette Player, Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1972 Alfa Romeo Spider1972 Alfa Romeo Spider Barn Find
This 1972 Alfa Romeo Spider is the earliest documented 2 liter spider in the USA. It is a very original car and would be a great basis for a restoration. It runs, rives and stops and with a little work could be a great spider to drive while you restore the cosmetics on it.
The 71-74 Spiders are the best of the Kamm tail series 2 spiders, nd I prefer the 71-72 years with the chrome bumpers without the bumps that came in 73/74. Classic Motorsports magazine just ran a spider comparison test and named the 71-74 spider the winner, ith prices ranging from $7500-$15000 for good examples.
This spider is very original, own to the tool kit still in the trunk and the plastic air intake tube. It was originally white but was repainted red at some point. The red paint has faded but the color returns with a good polish. It has a period 70s era Clarion radio that still works and is likely original to the car.
Based on its condition I believe it originally came from California and has lived in California or Oregon its entire life. The body is very rust free, ut it does have a little rust in the usual areas for a spider including behind the front wheels (where dirt collects behind the splash shields), n the floor boards and in the spare tire well. It appears based on receipts and plates that the car was last used regularly in about 1994. CA blue license plates plus a few Oregon plates from 1990-1992 were found in the trunk.
I will be as honest as I can about the condition of the car, nd will answer any reasonable questions to the best of my ability. While the car runs and drives it will need to be towed due to a cracked steering box. It can be moved relatively easily, ut for safety reasons it can not be driven away.
Fun fact -- this car was previously owned by former Oregon State Representative David Wu, nd still has a set of personalized plates that will go with the car.
I am a long time Alfisti and have owned or restored over 10 Alfa Romeos including 3 71-74 spiders, o I know the common issues, ust areas, trengths and weaknesses.
The spider will be sold as is with no warranty.
* Odometer shows 24,xxx miles. Is more likely 124,xxx miles
* Engine starts easily and runs well. Good compression, till has original SPICA mechanical fuel injection and Marelli distributor
* Repainted at some point in red. Paint is faded but in good condition on most of the car, ith 2 or 3 areas that will need touching up.
* Minimal rust, ut present behind wheels, n floors, nd spare tire well. Rockers are solid.
* Some typical bondo in nose
* One dent on passenger side behind door, ne on passenger rear side under rear bumper, ne on driver side in front of wheel at bottom of fender
* Original rubber mats present and in good condition, ncluding trunk mats
* Original tool kit, ack and spare tire included
* Dash is cracked from sun exposure
* Seats have good foam but the seams have split and will need recovering
* Door panels are intact but warped
* Wipers, eater fan, nd flashers work
* High beams work, ow beams and turn signals currently not working -- likely dirty switch
* Period Clarion radio works
* All gauges work except fuel gauge -- most likely sending unit is frozen
* Stainless steel bumpers in very good condition, ncluding original nerf bar covering grill and front license plate holder
* All doors, indows work properly
* Larger fuel tank
* Older 175/70R14 tires with good tread
* Top needs to be replaced, ut is mostly there.
RECENT WORK DONE SINCE PURCHASE:
* Both front brake calipers rebuilt
* New rubber brake hoses, ront and rear
* Old fuel drained* New fuel lines and both fuel filters replaced
* New radiator cap
* New cam cover gasket
* New spark plugs
* Compression, alve clearances, nd cam timing all checked
WORK DONE BY PREVIOUS OWNERS WITH RECEIPTS:
* New brake booster
* New brake master cylinder
* New clutch
* New rear brake pads
SHIPPING AND PAYMENT
A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required within 24 hours of the auction end.
Full payment is due by wire transfer within 3 business days.
Vehicle must be picked up within 7 calendar days of auction end.
We can meet your shipper with an appointment
Please call to schedule an appointment to see it, r to learn more about the spider. I am happy to provide additional photos or information, ut I prefer talking via phone. Vehicle is shown by appointment only.
Esprit Motors LLC
Fun Cars for Awesome People
1102 NE Shaver St. Portland, R 97212
Oregon Dealer DA3964
Stock #040272 (last 6 digits of VIN)
At Esprit Motors we believe in honesty, ransparency and a low-pressure sales environment.
Please visit our website to read customer reviews and learn more about us at www espritmotors dot comDisclaimer: All vehicles subject to prior sale, ut we do our best to remove the ad as soon as a vehicle has sold. We reserve the right to make changes without notice and are not responsible for errors or omissions. Advertised price does not include DMV fees, r dealer title and registration document preparation fee.